Chris Martin - Player Discussion Thread.

'Rambe33

On 15/08/2018 at 08:43, EulogyForEvolution said:

Hopefully he gets back fit soon and provides us with another option. Very different player to Waghorn and Marriott. We all know what he can do. I don't expect him to bang 20 a season any more, but we still miss those deft touches around the box and the ability to win a foul anywhere on the pitch when we're under pressure.

He'll still have that football brain, it's just a case of whether his body can keep up.

I see Waghorn as a more mobile Martin.

I will always be a big fan of Chrissy's. The season we got to the Playoff final under Mac 1, he was a joy to watch in terms of link up and goal scoring. He is in that mold without regular games, he just won't provide an impact. He needs the game time consistently. I was very surprised he wasn't utilized under Rowett as he had a big man in Jutkiewicz at Birmingham. 

Sadly I've heard rumblings that he's happy to just pick up his pay packet and sit in the reserves for the remainder of his contract. Maybe its the fact he's fallen from the top and its a pride thing? 

A move away now would be good for both the club and player. 

Rooting for Waghorn to be dominate and make the number 9 his own. 

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

I will always be a big fan of Chrissy's. The season we got to the Playoff final under Mac 1, he was a joy to watch in terms of link up and goal scoring. He is in that mold without regular games, he just won't provide an impact. He needs the game time consistently. I was very surprised he wasn't utilized under Rowett as he had a big man in Jutkiewicz at Birmingham. 

Sadly I've heard rumblings that he's happy to just pick up his pay packet and sit in the reserves for the remainder of his contract. Maybe its the fact he's fallen from the top and its a pride thing? 

A move away now would be good for both the club and player. 

Rooting for Waghorn to be dominate and make the number 9 his own. 

Ooooh you will have the Chris Martin fan brigade on you like a ton of wardrobes for this remark …………. don't you know you're not allowed any negativity regarding him, ? 

2 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Ooooh you will have the Chris Martin fan brigade on you like a ton of wardrobes for this remark …………. don't you know you're not allowed any negativity regarding him, ? 

haha can of worms well and truly opened... Can see Forum members chinese burning themselves up and down the land as they read my comment ?

6 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

3 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

haha can of worms well and truly opened... Can see Forum members chinese burning themselves up and down the land as they read my comment ?

Nah. Can't see folk being too fussed by either comment really. I'm a big Chris Martin fan but along with many others, I understand that he may not be in Frank's plans. It's a shame as I think Chris could offer something given we seem to want to use a 4-3-3 but with his time away, the colitis issue and the influx of fresh blood, it seems Chris has slipped down the ranks. I hope he doesn't sit around just to collect a paycheck, not because I begrudge him (he's not been terribly well handled by the club in recent times and owes us nothing) but because he really needs to be playing at this stage of his career. If he were to leave, many of us would be saddened but most would wish him well. At his best he was a prince and some of my best memories in recent times revolve around his silky skills and finishing prowess. Perhaps he can prosper one last time elsewhere but hopefully not against us!

13 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I hope he doesn't sit around just to collect a paycheck...

He didn't look like he was just sitting around in the last U23s game! He got better as the service got better and he was looking fit body-shape-wise.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He didn't look like he was just sitting around in the last U23s game! He got better as the service got better and he was looking fit body-shape-wise.

I didn't say he did Roy - I was responding to someone who suggested that he might. You've clearly not noticed in the last 7 years but I'm a Chris Martin fanboy ?

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Is he, though? They seem really similar to me.

58 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

I'm not sure Waghorn is as good in the air...

They seem to be a little nervous hitting the ball long to him and letting him compete with CBs - Martin has that in his locker

The flip side being Waghorn can rotate with the wingers and provide something out wide if needed - Run the channels a bit more - Which Martin is weaker at (or we've never asked him to do it?)

Ball to feet I think they're probably both capable of hold up play and finding a good pass

Just now, 86 points said:

I didn't say he did Roy - I was responding to someone who suggested that he might. You've clearly not noticed in the last 7 years but I'm a Chris Martin fanboy ?

I know you are 86 - I was in a hurry posting and didn't make myself clear. Can't be arsed to respond to posters just willing to put the boot in based on gossip.

I've seen nothing in the U23 games that Martin has played in, nor his previous attitude to going out on loan to suggest Chrissy is just happy to sit around and collect his wages.

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I know you are 86 - I was in a hurry posting and didn't make myself clear. Can't be arsed to respond to posters just willing to put the boot in based on gossip.

I've seen nothing in the U23 games that Martin has played in, nor his previous attitude to going out on loan to suggest Chrissy is just happy to sit around and collect his wages.

Yeah, I give the story little creedence myself. Everyone's ITK these days! Craig Short was pretty complimentary about Chris and George and that's good enough for me. My post was really to point out that where the Martin naysayers are concerned, us folk who like him have heard it all before. Frank's not stupid and if Chris starts looking like the Martin of old, I don't think Frank would be sending him anywhere. More likely that if he stays it's to fight for his place rather than hang around with the young'uns and pull a wage check IMO. 

1 hour ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Because it’s an baseless opinion ?

1 hour ago, 'Rambe33 said:

Wouldn’t he have turned down the move to Reading then? 

59 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

They seem to be a little nervous hitting the ball long to him and letting him compete with CBs - Martin has that in his locker

The flip side being Waghorn can rotate with the wingers and provide something out wide if needed - Run the channels a bit more - Which Martin is weaker at (or we've never asked him to do it?)

Ball to feet I think they're probably both capable of hold up play and finding a good pass

can never really remember Martin being brilliant in the air -players like Flint and Hanley always bullied him .  In fact games under McLaren where the opposition put ten behind the ball and we resorted to balls in the air used to prove rather frustrating.  Martins best games were always ball to feet.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

This is just utter rubbish, I'm afraid. Too many fans fondly reminiscing and forgetting everything in between.

Nine times out of ten Martin would hit the ground like a bag of spuds when challenging, including in the air. He had two seasons where he looked a useful forward but hasn't been remotely productive since.

He's had chances to prove himself under Pearson, Clement, Rowett, Stam and Jokanovic and has barely touched the starting line ups.

7 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

This is just utter rubbish, I'm afraid. Too many fans fondly reminiscing and forgetting everything in between.

Nine times out of ten Martin would hit the ground like a bag of spuds when challenging, including in the air. He had two seasons where he looked a useful forward but hasn't been remotely productive since.

He's had chances to prove himself under Pearson, Clement, Rowett, Stam and Jokanovic and has barely touched the starting line ups.

Never understood people writing his 15 goals and 12 assist season off as a bad one 

30 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

can never really remember Martin being brilliant in the air -players like Flint and Hanley always bullied him .  In fact games under McLaren where the opposition put ten behind the ball and we resorted to balls in the air used to prove rather frustrating.  Martins best games were always ball to feet.

Agreed he's best ball to feet but he's better in the air than Waghorn

8 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Okay - Not sure if you guys are people who hate statistics and don't think they mean anything but these are from Whoscored which uses OPTA stats (the source all football clubs also use) and they say:

Average Aerial Challenges per game:

Martin - 5.7 total - 2.2 won - 3.5 lost

Waghorn - 2 total - 0.6 won - 1.3 lost

So Martin wins more aerial battles than Waghorn is even involved in

For reference Aleksander Mitrovic (who I consider good in the air and 'Aerial Duals' in considered one of his strengths on whoscored) has the below:

Mitrovic - 6.1 total - 2.7 won - 3.4 lost

50 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

I can see the advantage of a player winning a fair number of free kicks just outside the box when we have Mount, Lawrence and Wilson in the side to take them! 

Archived