Chris Martin - Player Discussion Thread.

'Rambe33

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The Fulham fans liked him until we lured him away - oh no we didn't we just screwed up his loan! The Reading loan he became ill during and tried to continue to play through, plus change of managers.

You really are more obsessed with Martin-hating than Ninos and Toddy, didn't think it was possible.

Where is the respect for our players that Frank Lampard said was due, even to the ones he would rather moved on?! Which you don't know Martin is one of - he'd make a good job of playing 4-3-3 for FL and yes in a team would even press - that doesn't depend on pace. He's still the most football smart of our strikers too.

You are becoming a joke if you try to say Fulham fans liked having him. 

You obviously give respect easily. 

Me not so. In my opinion Martin does not deserve my respect. 

If I ever see him in a derby shirt again then he needs to earn it. You seem to just give respect because he wears the shirt. 

I wont say what I feel that says!!

11 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I personally hope Chris moves on because l think his time is done here; and he must know it too. I hope he finds a club that suits his qualities, and a fan base that takes fully to him.

l am really appreciative of the job he did for us 2013-2016, and in his pomp he clearly can perform as a top-end Championship striker.  He gave me some most most enjoyable times, although that is not to say that at times he didn’t frustrate me too with some of his antics.

He has said himself before that he needs to be loved and settled to perform at his best, and his record proves that with a couple of stand out periods whilst at Norwich under Lambert and with us Rams under Mac1. The rest of his career record though isn’t very impressive.

Hopefully somewhere out there is a good new fit for him and his family, and if he is ill then I wish him a speedy recovery.  

Yes, well summed up. 

14 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes, well summed up. 

Like others should be moved on? Why, cos we're fed up with them and want something new? Limited attention span? 

He'd have made a real difference today and his hold up play and linking with the midfield is what has been sadly missing from Derbys front players so far.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Like others should be moved on? Why, cos we're fed up with them and want something new? Limited attention span? 

He'd have made a real difference today and his hold up play and linking with the midfield is what has been sadly missing from Derbys front players so far.

Whether we like it or not I think he’s behind Waghorn, Marriott, Bennett and Nugent. Some of them I don’t agree with. It’s clear he’s not going to get games here at the moment. Maybe the best solution is to send him out of loan till January so he can help his fitness and then go from there? By then we will know whether Waghorn and Marriott will suit the system or not and then at least Martin would be able to slot back in then  rather than continuously playing catch up.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's not fit - how can you spout such nonsense, based on what?

Because he hasn’t been anywhere near the first team squad, just like Thorne, Anya, Butterfield and a few others even though he’s been playing with the under 23s. What bigger indication is that?

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I disagree, I very much doubt he would have been effective today because the supply wasn’t there. Martin typically struggles against physical centre backs too who play close to him like the Millwall defenders do. That’s not a criticism, Martin relies on supply just like every striker does. When the team is in full flow, Martin is one of those to add the final ingredient but when the team struggles, he isn’t the sort of player to get a goal out of nothing. Martin isn’t going to magically correct the balance of the midfield. He would have been isolated up there like Waghorn was in spells. 

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think we needed a bit more than (a not match fit Chris Martin) today. a blank sheet of paper springs to mind....

23 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Because he hasn’t been anywhere near the first team squad, just like Thorne, Anya, Butterfield and a few others even though he’s been playing with the under 23s. What bigger indication is that?

He's not fit - how can you expect someone to compete? Pathetic.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's not fit - how can you expect someone to compete? Pathetic.

How do you know he’s not fit? He’s fit enough to play in under 23 games. The colitis rumours are just that, rumours just like the heart condition that he allegedly had was hearsay, no proof. Just like the Bradley Johnson rumours why he left Norwich. If he does have it then I wish him well, colitis is a frustrating illness and can flare up at any time speaking from experience.

But until then we can only look at the facts. Hes not even had a look in under Lampard though. Has Martin even trained with the first team recently? Genuine question because I haven’t viewed any training pictures. When Marriott and Vydra weren’t fit, they still trained with the first team. 

If Martin stayed, we’d have 5 strikers which is far too much when they’d all want to play. Even 4 is too much, 3 is about enough. Send him out on loan till January so he can get take time to get fit and reassess the situation in January.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

How do you know he’s not fit? He’s fit enough to play in under 23 games. The colitis rumours are just that, rumours just like the heart condition that he allegedly had was hearsay, no proof. Just like the Bradley Johnson rumours why he left Norwich. If he does have it then I wish him well, colitis is a frustrating illness and can flare up at any time speaking from experience.

But until then we can only look at the facts. Hes not even had a look in under Lampard though. Has Martin even trained with the first team recently? Genuine question because I haven’t viewed any training pictures. When Marriott and Vydra weren’t fit, they still trained with the first team. 

If Martin stayed, we’d have 5 strikers which is far too much when they’d all want to play. Even 4 is too much, 3 is about enough. Send him out on loan till January so he can get take time and reassess the situation in January.

Here we go again.

Yes he himself has confirmed his illness to supporters. At the moment he is gradually getting stronger and has slowly worked up to his last two 90 minute appearances for the under 23s. I thought he looked lean but not particularly sharp on Monday night, which you would expect having not played since March.

You are right that he is in the under 23s squad along with Thorne and Butterfield.  According to Craig Short after Monday's match the senior players are there playing for a move. He specifically mentioned Thorne in this but I suspect it also includes Martin and Butterfield. 

None of the above precludes us discussing whether a fully fit Martin could have a part to play this season. He's our player until he's not. 

Just now, angieram said:

Here we go again.

Yes he himself has confirmed his illness to supporters. At the moment he is gradually getting stronger and has slowly worked up to his last two 90 minute appearances for the under 23s. I thought he looked lean but not particularly sharp on Monday night, which you would expect having not played since March.

You are right that he is in the under 23s squad along with Thorne and Butterfield.  According to Craig Short after Monday's match the senior players are there playing for a move. He specifically mentioned Thorne in this but I suspect it also includes Martin and Butterfield. 

None of the above precludes us discussing whether a fully fit Martin could have a part to play this season. He's our player until he's not. 

Fair enough, I didn’t know he had confirmed it to supporters. I wish him well then. Colitis is personal to myself, one moment your fine, the next it can flare up.

He isn’t going to get his fitness up by playing in the under 23s though which is a completely different standard to men’s football.

Loan is probably best for him till January, . Gives him an opportunity to get match time and his confidence up again. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a future though. If our strikers aren’t performing then he can come back in and at least he’d be fit rather than playing catch up.

2 minutes ago, Vulcanboy said:

Brilliant player for us in the past, note the word "PAST".  People tend to forget the time he spent on his arse, arms flaling, looking for free kicks, pathetic & painful to watch. Time to move on for both parties. Onwards & upwards. COYR. 

So your judgement of him is based on him on his arse? You are pathetic.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So your judgement of him is based on him on his arse? You are pathetic.

So you’re saying that having an opinion is pathetic now? It’s not the most outrageous opinion in the world, Martin hasn’t been the same player for two years. He didn’t say he’s never been good.

Just now, McLovin said:

Fair enough, I didn’t know he had confirmed it to supporters. I wish him well then. Colitis is personal to myself, one moment your fine, the next it can flare up.

He isn’t going to get his fitness up by playing in the under 23s though which is a completely different standard to men’s football.

Loan is probably best for him till January, . Gives him an opportunity to get match time and his confidence up again. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a future though. If our strikers aren’t performing then he can come back in and at least he’d be fit rather than playing catch up.

I agree he needs regular football and I would like to see him get that at Derby butI don't think it will happen so a loan would probably be best for both Martin and Thorne. 

I am sorry if I sound a bit frustrated but I have posted this about Martin three times already. It seems many people post without reading the previous comments. Not something that you usually do so I expect it just got missed in the never ending circular discussion on here! 

Just now, McLovin said:

So you’re saying that having an opinion is pathetic now? It’s not the most outrageous opinion in the world, Martin hasn’t been the same player for two years. He didn’t say he’s never been good.

He judged him based on a viewpoint of "the time he spent on his arse, arms flaling, looking for free kicks, pathetic & painful to watch." When has he seen that in the past two years then?

Archived