Mason Mount

Cam the Ram

10 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I’ve actually been a bit disappointed with him so far. 

He is clearly hugely talented, but I don’t think we’ve seen him anywher near his best yet. He’s gone quiet in spells when he’s been marked out of the game, and we won’t see the best from him until he works out what to do when that happens.

That’s not a criticism of him, I’m just optimistic that he can be better. 3 goals is an excellent return as well, even though he’s not set the world on fire yet - another mark of a good player.

I didn't want to be the one to say this sort of thing in such a positive thread but agree with every word you've said. A clear talent but we haven't seen nearly enough of it yet.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I didn't want to be the one to say this sort of thing in such a positive thread but agree with every word you've said. A clear talent but we haven't seen nearly enough of it yet.

You have to factor in that he is young and playing in a team that on the whole is undertaking a change in style under a new manager. You can see it throughout the whole team, it's not quite there yet but it's progressing. If/when we hit our peak in terms of performances this season we will really see how good he is, along with a few others in the team as well.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Absolutely, the talent is there to see with his touch and awareness. Much more to come but a goal and an assist on Saturday whilst not having his best game.. says a lot really!

30 minutes ago, cannable said:

You think? 

I’ve honestly been thinking I’d rather have a 19-year old Hughes linking play and controlling games than a 19-year old Mount scoring goals. 

So far he’s been pure numbers, he needs to start showing for the ball more.

Exactly what I've been thinking, our biggest problem so far has been lack of passing options from the back, he needs to realise that he can affect that side of the game by showing more when defence has the ball...... Very hopeful this will come as the whole team settles more though and confidence continues to grow

5 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Exactly what I've been thinking, our biggest problem so far has been lack of passing options from the back, he needs to realise that he can affect that side of the game by showing more when defence has the ball...... Very hopeful this will come as the whole team settles more though and confidence continues to grow

I agree that he should be looking to improve that area of his game, but I do think when a more composed CDM (Huddlestone or Thorne) play in that role that it's there job to drop deep to collect the ball of the back 4 and then using their passing ability to find the more advanced midfielders in good positions, usually in between the opposite teams defence and midfield, this is where Mount is most effective too.

I honestly think the return of Huddlestone is the most important for this team, we're massively missing a calm experienced player in there who loves to get the ball off the back 4 and get us playing. Mark my words ? 

52 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I’ve actually been a bit disappointed with him so far. 

He is clearly hugely talented, but I don’t think we’ve seen him anywher near his best yet. He’s gone quiet in spells when he’s been marked out of the game, and we won’t see the best from him until he works out what to do when that happens.

That’s not a criticism of him, I’m just optimistic that he can be better. 3 goals is an excellent return as well, even though he’s not set the world on fire yet - another mark of a good player.

It's a difficult one, at 19 we're expecting him to both run our midfield and score goals/assists too. 

He's said in his previous interview about playing two games in a week being new to him, suggests maybe he has to pace himself to an extent as he's playing 90 minutes pretty much every game including the cup. You can only feel that this will get better over the season as he gets familiar with the sheer number of games he'll play a part in. 

In regards to his marking, on Saturday he was being marked by two midfielders plus defender furthest up the pitch, but look how many times that left Preston's full backs having to track back Lawrence/Bennett. You can make space and set the play without ever touching the ball. 

3 hours ago, Lakes said:

Anyone got a decent song for this lad yet? been going over a few possibilities but the best i can come up with is a poor version of 'aint no mount thats high enough' ?

Mason Mount doo doo do do do doo

Mason Mount ?

1 hour ago, cannable said:

You think? 

I’ve honestly been thinking I’d rather have a 19-year old Hughes linking play and controlling games than a 19-year old Mount scoring goals. 

So far he’s been pure numbers, he needs to start showing for the ball more.

It's nice to watch but it's the reason that he was sold for a small fee and no clubs came in with a big offer. Mason and Will play similar roles and I'd have to admit it that come the end of the season, Mount will get you more points than Will. 

31 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

It's nice to watch but it's the reason that he was sold for a small fee and no clubs came in with a big offer. Mason and Will play similar roles and I'd have to admit it that come the end of the season, Mount will get you more points than Will. 

Nice to watch is doing what Hughes did a huge disservice… we’re crying out for somebody to show for the ball, take it and make us tick.

Mount’s making tangible contributions but that aside the midfield’s been non-existent this season. 

10 minutes ago, cannable said:

Nice to watch is doing what Hughes did a huge disservice… we’re crying out for somebody to show for the ball, take it and make us tick.

Mount’s making tangible contributions but that aside the midfield’s been non-existent this season

Someone's keeping the ball for 65-70% of each game, and Carson can't stick it up his jumper for that long before the refs start to get a bit twitchy. It's not Keogh either because according to some on here, he gives it away to the opposition every time he gets it.

So who is it? We should be told.

30 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Mount and Hughes would actually perfectly complement one another. I see Mount as much more of a Bryson style player (and, dare I say it, Lampard) than a playmaker. Hughes would knit it all together nicely.

This totally, both showing/showed huge potential in slightly differing ways, would have been a joy to have seen them together.

No player is going to be the finished article at 19 but there is obvious talent in the little things Mount does and I’d wager he will comfortably break double figures this season (injury free).

How many 19 year olds do that?

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Someone's keeping the ball for 65-70% of each game, and Carson can't stick it up his jumper for that long before the refs start to get a bit twitchy. It's not Keogh either because according to some on here, he gives it away to the opposition every time he gets it.

So who is it? We should be told.

The back five are making on average 273 passes a game out of a team average 481. 

Bryson’s averaging 46, with many of these going back to the centre-halves. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 20 goals this season. I can see why there is comparisons to Hughes, who had perhaps nicer close control, but he's two goals away from matching Hughes' best goalscoring season already in a Derby shirt & we're not even out of August yet

Mount is a match winner. I'd put money on him making the England squad before the season is out too. 

Archived