Half way there?

I read in the Daily Telegraph that the Rams were looking to get the wage bill down to £22m/season. I'm sure it was reported previously that last year our wage bill was around £34m, so £12m to hack off.

Pure guess work but I reckon with Bent, Shackell, Baird, Russell and Weimann off the roster that saves around £120k a week - or £6m/season - so half way there!

Chris Martin and Vydra will be hefty earners and look like they are next out of the door, but bearing in mind we'll have to pay the wages of any new recruits (even loan players) how many more need to go to hit the salary target? Maybe another five or six?? Maybe some out on loan again?

Mind you, reducing the wage bill by more than a third in a single summer would be quite some going.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet on this board is that okay, we may have to reduce the wage bill to this magical £22m, but if we can make a profit this summer on players sales (Vydra + Martin + Weimann - Bayliss/Marriott/whoever), can we not cover a higher wage bill, bearing in mind we have a few high earners out of contract next summer?

Say we make £5m net profit, could we not afford £27m wages for this year including loans, new signings, etc? I'm sure we could..

As well as Vydra, Martin & Weimann, I reckon we'll be looking to shift a couple of the midfielders (2 of Butterfield/Johnson/Ledley/Bryson). Anya and one of Blackman/Nugent/Jerome

At that point the current squad of 29, would have reduced to 22 allowing for say 3 incomings (Bayliss, Palmer, Abraham?) = a squad of 25 of which 16  you'd class as seniors and 9 you'd class as youngsters).

That would be a far better balanced squad, with a reduced wage bill and just as competitive a team.

Didn't we received some money for Ince at the end of the season? Plus we got decent compo for Rowett going - can't both of these things be put towards reducing/covering the wages?

I also think Lampard may be on a lower wage than Rowett was with it being his first job? Not sure on that though.

We're halfway there
We're looking good now
And nothing's gonna get in the way
We're halfway there
And looking back now
I never thought that I'd ever say we should probably sell Weimann
We're halfway there
We're halfway there

31 minutes ago, Carnero said:

That would be a far better balanced squad, with a reduced wage bill and just as competitive a team.

Really? Who knows! 

The obsession with reducing our wage bill could be at the detriment of the team. Plus any incomings aren't going to play for a tenner a week.

58 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

I read in the Daily Telegraph that the Rams were looking to get the wage bill down to £22m/season. I'm sure it was reported previously that last year our wage bill was around £34m, so £12m to hack off.

Pure guess work but I reckon with Bent, Shackell, Baird, Russell and Weimann off the roster that saves around £120k a week - or £6m/season - so half way there!

Chris Martin and Vydra will be hefty earners and look like they are next out of the door, but bearing in mind we'll have to pay the wages of any new recruits (even loan players) how many more need to go to hit the salary target? Maybe another five or six?? Maybe some out on loan again?

Mind you, reducing the wage bill by more than a third in a single summer would be quite some going.

I don’t remember by when they said we needed to get our wage bill down £22-23 million a year? Probably a sliding scale I would suspect whilst spending sensibly 

Ledley, Nugent, Olsson, Butterfield and Bryson all need getting off of the wage bill. Add to that Weimann who has now joined Bristol- Winnall who is no longer our player - Martin who im pretty sure wont be here and Vydra who is likely to leave us. That would be alot off. Loan out some of the youth who are earning and get the club to pay half of their wage a week (Thomas, Bogle, Guy, Elsnik, Lowe, Bennett) and we willl save. 

13 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Ledley, Nugent, Olsson, Butterfield and Bryson all need getting off of the wage bill. Add to that Weimann who has now joined Bristol- Winnall who is no longer our player - Martin who im pretty sure wont be here and Vydra who is likely to leave us. That would be alot off. Loan out some of the youth who are earning and get the club to pay half of their wage a week (Thomas, Bogle, Guy, Elsnik, Lowe, Bennett) and we willl save. 

Olsson’s wages will be covered by the insurance now he’s injured. 

Does the wage bill include all club employees? We have heard that the club have cut the number of staff at the academy and with the reduction in hours of the ticket office, less staff are needed.  So it looks like savings are being made across the whole club.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

As well as Vydra, Martin & Weimann, I reckon we'll be looking to shift a couple of the midfielders (2 of Butterfield/Johnson/Ledley/Bryson). Anya and ALL of Blackman/Nugent/Jerome

At that point the current squad of 29, would have reduced to 22 allowing for say 3 incomings (Bayliss, Palmer, Abraham?) = a squad of 25 of which 16  you'd class as seniors and 9 you'd class as youngsters).

One can only dream......

38 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Not sure we want to loan out the very players who we are hoping will break through into the first team? Maybe drop down a level of experience and loan out Zanzala, Gordon, Bird and Hunt.

McAllister I would add to your list if he can keep fit and is not ready to make the step up (although probably the most experienced in terms of adult football. )

42 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Great post and a silly post all in one right there. 

Top half great. I agree those need to be moved on. High earners treading water here and not deserving of the huge wages they are on. Unless Lamps can get them playing again.

bottom half silly. Most of them aren’t earning loads and are out with the first team. If we want to cut costs we need to use them players. Why would we loan them out and pay half their wages? We have to pay most clubs to loan there players plus there wages. I hope you don’t own your own business.

41 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Does the wage bill include all club employees? We have heard that the club have cut the number of staff at the academy and with the reduction in hours of the ticket office, less staff are needed.  So it looks like savings are being made across the whole club.

Haven't replaced Sam Rush's salary have we? Another potentially material saving. 

Another possibility is that with Frank being brand new to management, he hasn't had the time to build up a posse of hangers on, ego massagers and assorted coaches. Mac 1 ran the show with him, Eric and Simmo - don't see why Frank can't aim for a lean model like that.

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

£22m seems like a lot, but I'm fairly sure it would put us in the lower etches of the Championship? Forest were currently at £26m and they were paying a bunch of kids and frauds. 

It seems like a pretty significant cut. 

in 2016/17 £22m wage bills were Birmingham, Blackburn and Huddersfield Town. Higher than 8 other clubs. 

Forest's was £29m

Archived