Jack Marriott - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Didn't really play with a target man last season?

I don't think it's so much he needs to play with specifically a target man but I do think he needs to play with some who is tasked with leading the line, occupying the opposition cbs and creating space. So that Vydra can pop up in that pocket of space just in front of the cbs facing goal. 

2 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

There's no way that we would be selling the league's top goalscorer for £11m if he was in Lampard's plans. We'd only consider a stupid bid of £15m+ if he was to stay here with Lampard. The style of play that we've been playing does not suit Vydra. He wants to play with a striker.

Vydra a is made for. Frank's team. 

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

*Puts tin hat on*

Considering the system we're going to play, if you asked me to choose between a £6m Jack Marriott or a £4m Nelson Oliveira, I'd probably choose the latter...

With what the Norwich fans think of him, I'd have to strongly disagree. I have seen Oliveira play in the past and thought he was a good player, but his career best at this level is 11 in a season. I'm not sure, but I'd guess that a couple of those were penalties at least. 

I don't see much value in that, plus his wages will probably be double what Marriott wants - at least until he proves himself at this level. 

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

*Puts tin hat on*

Considering the system we're going to play, if you asked me to choose between a £6m Jack Marriott or a £4m Nelson Oliveira, I'd probably choose the latter...

But it's not £6m, their chairman has said it's just paper talk and he's asking nothing like that.

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

With what the Norwich fans think of him, I'd have to strongly disagree. I have seen Oliveira play in the past and thought he was a good player, but his career best at this level is 11 in a season. I'm not sure, but I'd guess that a couple of those were penalties at least. 

I don't see much value in that, plus his wages will probably be double what Marriott wants - at least until he proves himself at this level. 

Bare in mind that I have seen a lot more of Oliveira than I have of Marriott. Like many of here, my only knowledge of JM comes from YouTube highlight videos: a very poor place to form an opinion. YouTube could convince you that Chris Maguire was worth having a punt on. Anyway...

Oliveira can lead a line and play in a convential 4-3-3. I've seen him do it. He's much more physical than I would suspect Marriott is, and his link up play with midfielders has been very impressive. Worth remembering that, at the beginning of last season, Swansea wanted him to lead the line for them in the Premier League. It's also worth factoring in that, to my eye, Daniel Farke is perhaps the worst manager in the Championship. His tactics are so negative and dull and it's clear he doesn't get on with Oliveira. I'm certain the manager has affected his performances this season.

Also, I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that Marriott would fit into the 4-3-3 Lampard is trying to implement? To my knowledge, Posh played 4-2-3-1 for most of the season. I'd imagine Marriott would fit into a Rowett system perfectly. But this Lampard one? I'm not so sure, yet.

Perhaps Lampard's 4-3-3 will be different from McClaren's in that it wont need a big man in the No.9 position to link to the midfield. I doubt that, though.

The danger in all this is that the time it is taking to get a deal done, if a deal is to be done, means that by the time he arrives he will have been built up to be some kind of Messiah (insert Life of Brian joke at your leisure) whereas he's not just a very naughty boy, he is actually a League One striker playing at a higher level than he's ever played at. 

We shouldn't expect too much. Not that that won't fall on deaf ears. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Bare in mind that I have seen a lot more of Oliveira than I have of Marriott. Like many of here, my only knowledge of JM comes from YouTube highlight videos: a very poor place to form an opinion. YouTube could convince you that Chris Maguire was worth having a punt on. Anyway...

Oliveira can lead a line and play in a convential 4-3-3. I've seen him do it. He's much more physical than I would suspect Marriott is, and his link up play with midfielders has been very impressive. Worth remembering that, at the beginning of last season, Swansea wanted him to lead the line for them in the Premier League. It's also worth factoring in that, to my eye, Daniel Farke is perhaps the worst manager in the Championship. His tactics are so negative and dull and it's clear he doesn't get on with Oliveira. I'm certain the manager has affected his performances this season.

Also, I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that Marriott would fit into the 4-3-3 Lampard is trying to implement? To my knowledge, Posh played 4-2-3-1 for most of the season. I'd imagine Marriott would fit into a Rowett system perfectly. But this Lampard one? I'm not so sure, yet.

Perhaps Lampard's 4-3-3 will be different from McClaren's in that it wont need a big man in the No.9 position to link to the midfield. I doubt that, though.

I take all of that on board mate and fair enough on Oliveira, but why do you doubt Frank would have a different way of playing 4-3-3 to Mac?

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

YouTube could convince you that Chris Maguire was worth having a punt on. Anyway...

I'll only tell you this once more... Chris Maguire was lethal. He was more than worthy of wearing that Ram on chest...

Archived