Most underrated band of all time

Bob The Badger

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/06/2018 at 00:35, Bob The Badger said:

Let me kick of this thread by saying it's not big and it's not clever to mention a band who was massive anyway and who you think should have been even bigger.

So no Beatles, Stones, Queen, Who, Oasis or even The Jam for that matter - and the latter hurts me deeply as I have them right up there with the best ever!

I shall kick this off by suggesting one of THE great songwriters ever and he is Ian McNabb

Incidentally, are you aware that Icicle Works have some gigs next May. They will be 3 hours long apparently and feature run throughs of the first 3 albums.

Needless to say, I am going to the Liverpool one.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Incidentally, are you aware that Icicle Works have some gigs next May. They will be 3 hours long apparently and feature run throughs of the first 3 albums.

Needless to say, I am going to the Liverpool one.

If I didn't live in Florida, I would be there!

2 groups spring to my ancient mind:-

The Strawbs.   The battle and anything from that album

The Idle Race. Birthday album. Though to be fair several later formats included Jeff Wayne and ELO.

Singer songwriters:-

Tim Rose

Clifford T Ward

Nick Drake

All worth checking out on YouTube 

12 hours ago, steve brummie said:

2 groups spring to my ancient mind:-

The Strawbs.   The battle and anything from that album

The Idle Race. Birthday album. Though to be fair several later formats included Jeff Wayne and ELO.

Singer songwriters:-

Tim Rose

Clifford T Ward

Nick Drake

All worth checking out on YouTube 

Jeff Lynne, sorry.

Told you I'm getting old!

The Department of Eagles

Queens of the Stoneage

Gaz Coombes’ last 2 albums 

Portishead

Tom Waits

Sufjan Stevens

Super Furry Animals/Gruff Rhys

Supergrass

Sly And The Family Stone

Parliament/Funkadelic 

The Staves

Bill Withers (live at Carnegie Hal)

Joe Cocker (Mad Dogs and Englishman)

The Black Crowes (1st 3 albums)

Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac

9 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

The Department of Eagles

Queens of the Stoneage

Portishead

Tom Waits

Sufjan Stevens

Supergrass

Sly And The Family Stone

Parliament/Funkadelic 

The Staves

Super Furry Animals have always worked better live. Their last 3 albums have been dross but there are loads of classics in their earlier albums.

Agree with Funkadelic - massively influential every hip hop artist of the last thirty years.

6 hours ago, Igor said:

Super Furry Animals have always worked better live. Their last 3 albums have been dross but there are loads of classics in their earlier albums.

Agree with Funkadelic - massively influential every hip hop artist of the last thirty years.

It’s a shame, as I hadn’t seen SFA live in their heyday and managed to get to see them a few years back at a festival and although they played all my favorite songs, the sound was awful. Still think they’re great tho.

18 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

The Department of Eagles

Queens of the Stoneage

Portishead

Tom Waits

Sufjan Stevens

Supergrass

Sly And The Family Stone

Parliament/Funkadelic 

The Staves

Lots of good stuff on that list, but the likes mostly for Gaz Coombes, excellent last couple of albums/first couple depending on how you look at it.

4 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

It’s a shame, as I hadn’t seen SFA live in their heyday and managed to get to see them a few years back at a festival and although they played all my favorite songs, the sound was awful. Still think they’re great tho.

When was that sfa gig? I've seen them a few times and the sound was always fine.

Sounds like you missed the tour about 18 months back when they played Fuzzy Logic and Radiator back to back.

I'm hoping for a Guerilla and Rings Around the World one soon.

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

When was that sfa gig? I've seen them a few times and the sound was always fine.

Sounds like you missed the tour about 18 months back when they played Fuzzy Logic and Radiator back to back.

I'm hoping for a Guerilla and Rings Around the World one soon.

It was at the Green Man festival. I go most years. It just didn’t cut through. It was a greatest hits type of thing more than a complete album.

They did ‘Run christian run’ off Rings around the world which is one of my faves and a highlight.

3 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

It was at the Green Man festival. I go most years. It just didn’t cut through. It was a greatest hits type of thing more than a complete album.

They did ‘Run christian run’ off Rings around the world which is one of my faves and a highlight.

I been to end of the road a few times. Thinks it's pretty similar to green man I've heard.

Lineup for grern man looks good this year. Saw war on drugs last year and were amazing.

Archived