Unusual places where the Rams were recognised

ColonelBlimp

Just got back from a trip to San Francisco with the missus, great place so go if you can.

One evening we stopped for Fish and Chips at No9 Fishermans Grotto and lo and behold the guy serving us not only recognised the Ram on my T shirt but knew we were in the "second division" and that Frank Lampard was our new coach.

This 2 for 2 for me because in the autumn of 2016 we went to New York. On day 2 we went to the Empire State, as you do, took the lift up as far as it goes to find a photographer doing the old tourist booth. He recognised my Ram on my sweatshirt and said he was aware of us from when we had our nightmare season. 

On the same trip also had an Australian guy recognise it at Grand Union Station but not sure if that counts as he was also a tourist.

Anyone else had a pleasant surprise like this abroad? 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Lesvos (one of the Greek Islands) around 97ish when one of the locals came up to me and my dad and mum to talk about Derby when he saw my shirt, his first game as a kid was us against his team AEK Athens, so always kept an eye out for Derby score whenever and wherever possible. Was very knowledgeable (from memory I was about 11) about the team, how we had done the previous season and I think about the move to Pride Park. 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

I was in a bar in Dalyan when the owner started singing 'stand up if you hate Forest'. 

The funny thing is I didn't have any clothing on.

Ftfy

Rome... 1994  Handed over my passport to check into Youth Hostel.  Guy behind the counter sees "Place of Birth: Derby" and starts telling my how great Derby County were 20 years ago... about Brian Clough and European Cup exploits against Madrid, Benfica, Juve...

Really surprised me that some Italian guy was so aware of that Rams side from 20 years earlier.

Was on a winter holiday in the Algave, mid 1970's, just arrived on the Saturday evening when the waiter saw I had a newspaper.

"Have you the football scores?"

"Sorry, it's this morning's edition."

"Ah, sorry, just want to know how Derby County got on."

"So do I!"

He then went scurrying off and fetched his highly treasured photo of himself & Franny Lee, signed and dedicated to him. It turns out he'd worked in Derby for a few years to improve his English. What better place?

A friend of mine was monitoring elections in rural Kyrgyzstan and he sent me a photo of a Kyrgyz woman wearing a Rams Puma fleece from the late 90's. It's probably not quite right for this thread because she knew nothing about Derby County aside from the fact that they make warm fleeces. It does show that it's worth donating your old gear to charity and it also shows the quality of the Puma kit we had in the 90's.

Just now, Anon said:

A friend of mine was monitoring elections in rural Kyrgyzstan and he sent me a photo of a Kyrgyz woman wearing a Rams Puma fleece from the late 90's. It's probably not quite right for this thread because she knew nothing about Derby County aside from the fact that they make warm fleeces. It does show that it's worth donating your old gear to charity and it also shows the quality of the Puma kit we had in the 90's.

That must be the winner.

I was once travelling through the suburbs of Bern in Switzerland when I spied a cafe bar called "Derby County". I immediately went in, expecting a conversation about Kevin Hector and Brian Clough.

Instead, the landlady told me she was really fond of horse racing and thought "Derby County" had something to do with horses. She had never heard of the football club.

I was walking down a street in Mauritius and I heard a Derby shout from across the road. A local came over talking about the previous game we had played and lost against Leeds. He told me he had backed Derby to win. I told him not to waste his money.

Everytime I walked down the road after that there was this local shouting Derby. 

In the mid-late 90s I was living in a small Czech town called Hradec Kralove. Every Friday we had a kick about on a cinder handball pitch with a bunch of the locals (colleagues, friends etc). 

Unusually for me (I never normally wear them) I had on a Rams replica shirt (plain white early 70s with the Ram the only adornment) and one of my friend's colleagues recognised the Ram and went on the recall what he could remember about our European cup tie with Slovan Bratislava in 1975 (quite a bit if memory serves).

A lot of work trips take me to Bentonville, Arkansas. I occassionally don the Derby shirt at the weekends. It's only been recognised a few times though. Although once, a few years ago, local bar agreed to open at 6am for me so I could go in and watch the Derby-Forest game. Early kick off. Think the hangover started kicking in about lunch time.

Went to Croyde last year, for some reason a pub had a City Ground sign next to the sign for the toilet. Haha.

I remember visiting the Reichstag the day after we lost to Forest 2-1 in January 2015 wearing a Derby County woolly hat. Needless to say the security guard checking my passport never let me hear the end of being born in Nottingham but supporting Derby. 

rick. 

4 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

In the mid-late 90s I was living in a small Czech town called Hradec Kralove. Every Friday we had a kick about on a cinder handball pitch with a bunch of the locals (colleagues, friends etc). 

Unusually for me (I never normally wear them) I had on a Rams replica shirt (plain white early 70s with the Ram the only adornment) and one of my friend's colleagues recognised the Ram and went on the recall what he could remember about our European cup tie with Slovan Bratislava in 1975 (quite a bit if memory serves).

When I visited Bratislava a couple of years ago, most people seemed to be much more interested in the Slovan Bratislava ice hockey team than the football team. Perhaps the standards have gone down since  the days of the old Czechoslovakian league.

3 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

When I visited Bratislava a couple of years ago, most people seemed to be much more interested in the Slovan Bratislava ice hockey team than the football team. Perhaps the standards have gone down since  the days of the old Czechoslovakian league.

They basically split the league in two (much as they did with the country), so made both of them less competitive than the original by filling up the leagues with poorer quality from below.

• 2 weeks later...

Met Cyrus Christie’s auntie and uncle in Tenerife once. His auntie said something when I walked past her in my Derby shirt. Ended up watching Ireland vs Italy (Euro 2016, Christie was on the bench) with them in the hotel lobby, and when Brady scored late on it was unreal.

Archived