Unusual places where the Rams were recognised

ColonelBlimp

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:07, Paese said:

A lot of work trips take me to Bentonville, Arkansas. I occassionally don the Derby shirt at the weekends. It's only been recognised a few times though. Although once, a few years ago, local bar agreed to open at 6am for me so I could go in and watch the Derby-Forest game. Early kick off. Think the hangover started kicking in about lunch time.

Went to Croyde last year, for some reason a pub had a City Ground sign next to the sign for the toilet. Haha.

I have been in that pub. It was n't me who put the sign there though...honest

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd gone to see the Rams play the Buccaneers in Tampa circa 1987.

Me and a mate (who is actually a Sheff Utd fan, but a good sport) had just put this flag up in a 80% empty stadium an hour or so before kick off.

A guy came up to me and said, 'Where you from?'

'England' I said.

'I know that, whereabouts in England?"

'Matlock'

'Oh right, I'm from Belper'!

Tampa.jpg

Just (early June this year) traveled through Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. Met a Kazakh guy in a Yurt camp I stayed in who followed Sporting Kansas City and knew Derby County through his new favourite player Johnny Russell  

Also a few years ago when travelling through Vietnam met a Brazilian guy who was Benny Failhaber's cousin

About 10 years ago, I was on holiday with my family in Norfolk. Our annual summer holiday to Hunstanton. We're in this beer garden (with my lemonade, wasn't allowed beer then) and a chap about 60 saw me in my Derby shirt.

He said, "do you remember Chris Riggott? He's my nephew." 

Couldn't really believe it, we spoke a little bit about football and how much Chris missed Derby. I think he managed 20 odd games for Boro that season too. Anyway that has to be the most random scenario ever to happen to me ?

I was in Syria on holiday backpacking around in 2015 and ended up in Raqqa.

Next thing I know there are black and white flags everywhere!

The rough interpretation of this one is (and forgive me as my Arabic is rusty) goes something like:

We are Derby, Super Derby

We Are Derby, Super Rams 

**** Forest

Or something like that.

ISISflag2.jpg

Archived