World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Certain penalty, defender tries to intercept ball misses and forward clatters in to him.  Sounds like a foul to me.  Perhaps he should have stopped to check that the defender was ok and then careful move round him then continue after the ball.  I dislike the guy but he was immense last night one man against the might of Spain, credit where credit is due, brilliant performance

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Is it just me or did both teams look ordinary tonight?

Spain looked exactly how they have at every recent tournament - great at keeping possession and wearing down the opposition, but no real X factor and likely to fire blanks against a team with even an ounce of defensive nous.

What frustrates me about Spain is that they have some fantastic young players but they lack a brave coach, a coach willing to implement young players and move away from the old guard that are still dining out on past glories.

Ramos and Pique, you can understand because they don't have top defenders coming through. But why persist with Iniesta, Busquets and David Silva? Masters of their craft no doubt, but where is the next generation? Why are the likes of Saul Niguez and Marco Asensio twiddling their thumbs on the bench? Why has Thiago only got 30-odd caps in 7 years of international football? Isco aside, it was disappointing to see the lack of fresh talent on the world stage.

As for Portugal, they are just painfully average and one-dimensional and being propped up by the only world class player they have had in their ranks for almost 15 years.

Joachim Low will have watched that tonight and taken heart from it, I'm sure.

Everyone is going to look ordinary to you after watching Sarri ball all year ?

I think you’re doing both teams a bit of injustice, let’s not forget that it was the first game for both of these teams. Both have a history of struggling in their opening games but tend to improve as the tournament goes on. Factor in the heat and humidity too which was reaching upwards of 30 degrees at times so credit to both teams for their intensity.

The likes of Asensio and Saul will get their time and will be stars for many years to come but it’s hard to put them into a team that’s used to playing tiki taka, when both are used to playing different systems for their clubs. Portugal have some good young players like Bruno Fernandes, Bernado Silva, Andre Silva and Guedes but it didn’t quite work for them yesterday, although I’m sure they will also improve as the tournament goes on.

As for Lowe, he will have his own problems. Germany look distinctly average when playing a midfield two. Whilst Khedira and Kroos are great players, they don’t have the energy to cover the ground. Their best chance of winning is to switch to a midfield three like they did in the last World Cup in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

He’s a brilliant player, but as a person I get the impression he’s really insecure and a bit weird. He has the attitude of David Haye, where he has to keep telling himself and the rest of the world that he’s the best to feed his own ego, and thus keep confidence levels at an all-time high and thus have the confidence to do what he does.

As you say, he’s a selfish player, but a person who isn’t as confident wouldn’t be so selfish, and therefore would probably pass up opoortunities by running down blind alleys or passing when shooting is on.

He’s also the sort of player who has the attitude of the team will always perform to their best if they get him performing to his best.

Whereas Messi has sacrificed positions and roles to help accomodate Suarez and Neymar in their better positions, thus benefiting the team, Ronaldo demands that the team is built around him and getting the best out of him = more chance of winning.

I just don’t like his attitude. I understand why he is this way, and why he needs to make everything about him. I just don’t like it and I’m probably not alone.

He would take more glory and satisfaction from Portugal drawing 3-3 and him scoring a hattrick than Portugal winning 1-0 with a goal from Bernardo Silva. As a football fan, I just can’t agree with that at all.

He’s the only player in my lifetime that I can remember who actually looks gutted when his teammates scores and he doesn’t. Maybe if it wasn’t for Messi being a better player he wouldn’t be so egocentric and he’d be a completely different player. Deep down, like David Haye, it probably kills him to know there is/was somebody better out there.

I’m not Ronaldo’s biggest fan and I consider Messi the GOAT by far but it’s a bit naive to suggest that Messi doesn’t have arrogance too. Fabregas stated before the game that Messi has arrogance too and cares about himself but shows it in a different way. It hurt Messi seeing Ronaldo winning balon dor’s and champions leagues. Every great player has to have arrogance.

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Weather looks great in Russia

France 0-0 Australia 

21 minutes gone 

1 Uruguayan ref and 11 other French refs on the pitch too. 

The Ausies are giving it a good go, whilst the French are diving on the ball, waving pretend cards around etc etc. 

I hope the Ausies do em, for the first time ever I am hoping ?? win

Archived