World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Personally couldn't give a monkey's whether he does or not. I'm hoping Kane can perform.

I really really enjoyed the game last night. It was a joy. The Spanish were amazing to watch.

Messi is the same. Makes my heart lift to see the sheer beauty of his play.

Experience tells me England will bring absolutely zero to the tournament. Time after time to the neutral viewer they add the sum total of zilch. Fingers crossed this time its different.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Chester40 said:

I really really enjoyed the game last night. It was a joy. The Spanish were amazing to watch.

Messi is the same. Makes my heart lift to see the sheer beauty of his play.

Experience tells me England will bring absolutely zero to the tournament. Time after time to the neutral viewer they add the sum total of zilch. Fingers crossed this time its different.

Again, I couldn't care less about the neutral viewer.

24 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Ronaldo got a pen with a cynical DIVE. No other word for it. Yes you see them given, yes the defender was careless.. but did Ronaldo need to reach for the standing leg and kick it and then theatrically fall over? No..so he dived. 

There is certainly another word for it. We clearly see it differently, but a leg was dangled in front of Ronaldo, he carried his run and fell down. Not a dive, he was taken down. A dive implies there was no contact, which is patently not true. 

25 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Another even softer free-kick (and dive)

Again, he was pushed in the back and kicked. It was easily a freekick. I'd be absolutely fuming if Derby weren't given that. It was blatant and stupid from Pique. 

10 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Again, I couldn't care less about the neutral viewer.

Each to their own.

I enjoy watching as many matches as I can. I feel sick and then just bored and resigned when I watch England.

I think I have a better chance than you of enjoying the 'festival of football' that we usually bring very little to except the odd bit of violence.

Really hope its different this time.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

There is certainly another word for it. We clearly see it differently, but a leg was dangled in front of Ronaldo, he carried his run and fell down. Not a dive, he was taken down. A dive implies there was no contact, which is patently not true. 

Again, he was pushed in the back and kicked. It was easily a freekick. I'd be absolutely fuming if Derby weren't given that. It was blatant and stupid from Pique. 

He was never 'taken down'.... he saw his chance, made contact and took to the floor. He could have got to the ball and not gone down. Got his reward so it worked...no argument. Just the whole 'there was contact' argument grates with me. 

I’m 7 hours behind you guys so no way was I getting up at 4am to watch France vs Australia. I expeced a comfortable France win, so I guess kudos to the Aussies who looked like they made a game of it.

Argentina vs Iceland is the game of the day for me. Hopefully Iceland bring that 2016 spirit. I’m going for a narrow Argie win.

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Contact does not mean it isn't a dive. He flicked his right leg out to ensure contact then threw himself over.

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Pique has a hand on his back but there is no force and no foot contact.

He is a cheat. He is very good at it as he has been doing it for years.

10 minutes ago, needles said:

VAR my ********. Someone doesn't understand football, or someone got paid. Possibly both.

Are you referring to the French penalty? I thought the ref got it spot on after VAR but would have struggled to be 100% certain in real time.

Captain Aron Gunnarsson will start the game and claims to be fully fit.  That's a shameless lie, but he goes far on his willpower.  Bit worried Argentine players will target him for injury but fingers crossed, that might backfire for them. 

This is the most difficult game we have ever played and odds stacked against us but we are looking forward to it

Archived