What I’d really like to know about George

jono

We all saw last season that GT was off the pace. Uncharacteristic errors on the ball, not as quick as he was (that was never lightning but it was ok, and more to the point his speed off the mark, for the first yard was, like an engine with clogged fuel lines. You could see the thought there but his body wasn’t responding as quickly as it used to, which IMO lead to the errors and lack of form that were so evident. 

What I really want to know is: what his medic / training / techi / sports science  stats are compared to 3 years ago ? I think a lot is down to broken bones muscles, repairing tendons and all sorts - So is there empirical data that says something like George is getting better ?  - for example if  last season he was between 89% and 92% in a series of measurable parameters .. Then after being dropped and to where we are now ? As in, is he looking between 91% and 96% and on an upward curve, or has he plateaued? 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I'd really like to know (but nobody can unfortunately know) is will George Thorne get back to full fitness next season. As far as last season goes I don't think he was fully fit but I also don't think Rowett's tactics helped him at all.

In his last game against Sunderland we were set up so negatively it was unreal, particularly as they were bottom and couldn't buy a win (mind you our form was bottom 3 too at the time!). Thorne played his best football for us when he had quick footed players 'buzzing' around close which allowed one-twos to be played. This then 'created' space which in turn allowed him to pick out a longer pass when it was on.

I am hoping that, under Frank, we will play a style more suited to Thorne and that he will regain his form as a result. Fingers crossed. ?

He came back middle of the season having had no preseason played a couple of games and played well, probably through adrenaline then found himself short of match fitness. Then in and out the side because of where we were at the time and possibly not best suited to a defensive midfield two, alongside Huddlestone who plays a similar type of game.

A full preseason, a formation tweak which will hopefully leave him on his own holding with runners in front of him, i am 100% convinced we will see the George Thorne we first signed on loan under McClaren. I even think he’ll win player of the year, there’s my early prediction!

35 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

He’s overweight. Until he sorts that, his body will be under more pressure than it needs to be. He needs to be literally lighter on his feet. 

He was never the leanest of players anyway was he ? He will be overweight if he's not match fit his metabolism is obviously naturally higher than say someone like Weimann , Rooney's the same has to play to be match fit. 

Someone needs to buy him a dog to chase round the park instead of sitting in yaughts chilling!

id love to see him sat in front of a back four, breaking up play and making quick transitions to put us on the attack again

sooner rather than later

So many “if’s” 

mine is, IF we have a 99% fit GT then we can be promotion contenders. He can be that influential. His skill set can bring out the best in what we have already. 

Classy midfielders make good teams. Rowett did as well as he did, much down Huddlestones composure. George has the same but with a much more dynamic edge. 

1 minute ago, HorsforthRam said:

One of my favourites bits of play during last season was Villa at home. Thorne, Hudds and someone else keeping the ball one touch near the touchline (West Stand) near the end of the game. Got the crowd on their feet.

Martin I seem to remember. 

You can repair the body, but for the injuries he's had there's two problems:

The actual repair is never going to be as good as the original. Oddly enough the ACL repair ligament is actually stronger than the original but the problem lies in the nerves, which are severed when its replaced, the nerves pre-injury sent messages to the brain telling it when the joint was under strain etc so compensation could be made. That no longer exists hence why the rehab for this injury focuses on heavy strengthening work on the muscles around the knee to compensate for the loss of the nerves. So whilst technically stronger it's less affective in reality. The feel of knee can also change if there's a fair amount of the miniscus removed.

Secondly and something that dovetails into the above is the mental side of things if the knee does have a marginally different feel then his could have an impact. Turning, pivoting and accelerating may be affected subliminally to protect the knee, same goes for tackling and striking the ball. He may not even be fully aware of it as it becomes the new way his body and mind react.

Sorry for the long post but I feel George and Fozzy get a hard time from some fans who don't understand the type of injuries they've had, how tough the recoveries can be and how they can affect performance. I think what both need is an extensive pre-season (some work on the mental side would be good as pet of this) and then we can start to judge whether they will be able to get close to the players were in around oct/nov.

I’m not sure his injury problems or poor fitness were the causes for his poor form.  You never lose your technical ability no matter how many injuries you have. I believe that the main reason for his struggles were the poor tactics and the formation. Thorne was best when he had midfield runners in front of him in a 4-3-3 and players running in behind so he could play through balls. However, Rowett played a pragmatic 4-2-3-1 where everything was to feet and static rather than players moving and creating space in behind.

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

One of my favourites bits of play during last season was Villa at home. Thorne, Hudds and someone else keeping the ball one touch near the touchline (West Stand) near the end of the game. Got the crowd on their feet.

Don't kno who the third person was, but i remember another match where Martin was brought on near the end, and he, Thorne and Russell waltzed the ball from left corner of our box to the right corner of the opposition's box with wonderul one-touch tippy-tappy a la McClaren 1. Superb and got a standing ovation!

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

He’s overweight. Until he sorts that, his body will be under more pressure than it needs to be. He needs to be literally lighter on his feet. 

Frank Lampard should help him deal with that ... he used to be fat but worked on his fitness.

Archived