What I’d really like to know about George

jono

3 hours ago, Ramarena said:

You can repair the body, but for the injuries he's had there's two problems:

The actual repair is never going to be as good as the original. Oddly enough the ACL repair ligament is actually stronger than the original but the problem lies in the nerves, which are severed when its replaced, the nerves pre-injury sent messages to the brain telling it when the joint was under strain etc so compensation could be made. That no longer exists hence why the rehab for this injury focuses on heavy strengthening work on the muscles around the knee to compensate for the loss of the nerves. So whilst technically stronger it's less affective in reality. The feel of knee can also change if there's a fair amount of the miniscus removed.

Secondly and something that dovetails into the above is the mental side of things if the knee does have a marginally different feel then his could have an impact. Turning, pivoting and accelerating may be affected subliminally to protect the knee, same goes for tackling and striking the ball. He may not even be fully aware of it as it becomes the new way his body and mind react.

Sorry for the long post but I feel George and Fozzy get a hard time from some fans who don't understand the type of injuries they've had, how tough the recoveries can be and how they can affect performance. I think what both need is an extensive pre-season (some work on the mental side would be good as pet of this) and then we can start to judge whether they will be able to get close to the players were in around oct/nov.

Great post, thanks. 

Regardless of actual nerve damage I think we all know when we have injured something there is a mental block to extending to full use of anything for quite some time. Given some injury free time it gradually lessens, but it isn’t overnight. It’s subconscious self preservation I suppose. Hopefully they get to a point when there is a new “normal” and everything falls in to place. Van Nistelroy didn’t do too badly after all. 

on Fozzy .. I thought the last couple of games we just began to get a sniff that he was over the hump and there were flashes of his past self. 

I wish them both the best of luck regardless of how it goes in a Derby shirt. It can’t be easy being a young man having unaccustomed physical fear in the back of your mind.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jono said:

Great post, thanks. 

Regardless of actual nerve damage I think we all know when we have injured something there is a mental block to extending to full use of anything for quite some time. Given some injury free time it gradually lessens, but it isn’t overnight. It’s subconscious self preservation I suppose. Hopefully they get to a point when there is a new “normal” and everything falls in to place. Van Nistelroy didn’t do too badly after all. 

on Fozzy .. I thought the last couple of games we just began to get a sniff that he was over the hump and there were flashes of his past self. 

I wish them both the best of luck regardless of how it goes in a Derby shirt. It can’t be easy being a young man having unaccustomed physical fear in the back of your mind.

True and leading on from your fozzy point I don't think either foz or George were that much worse than their teammates when they had bad games.

The level of the teams performance sank dramatically and there were players who hadn't had the injury problems that performed as poorly as fozzy and George!

At the very least  - he needs to keep himself trim and get fit for pre-season

We can't have overweight midfielders!! - can't believe that a professional footballer (injuries apart) is not fit / overweight - its their job!!

Get bloody fit and lets see where you are at pre-season

7 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

What I'd really like to know (but nobody can unfortunately know) is will George Thorne get back to full fitness next season. As far as last season goes I don't think he was fully fit but I also don't think Rowett's tactics helped him at all.

In his last game against Sunderland we were set up so negatively it was unreal, particularly as they were bottom and couldn't buy a win (mind you our form was bottom 3 too at the time!). Thorne played his best football for us when he had quick footed players 'buzzing' around close which allowed one-twos to be played. This then 'created' space which in turn allowed him to pick out a longer pass when it was on.

I am hoping that, under Frank, we will play a style more suited to Thorne and that he will regain his form as a result. Fingers crossed. ?

I don't think you can play Thorne and Huddlestone together if you want some dynamism in midfield. Lampard's "Fast, attractive football with a high work ethic" doesn't really sound like either of them but it certainly doesn't sound like playing both of them. 

I'd play Huddlestone alongside Elsnik and or Guy; and have Thorne either on the bench or I'd sell to QPR

Players with leg injuries that prevent them running will often spend to much time in the gym working on fitness but in reality bulking up. In Will Hughes case this was a positive. With George perhaps less so, an example of over doing it was Miles Addison who came back an absolute beast but so so slow.

George can come back if he's able to run off some weight. As others have mentioned Frank did this at West Ham.

22 minutes ago, feisty said:

I don't think you can play Thorne and Huddlestone together if you want some dynamism in midfield. Lampard's "Fast, attractive football with a high work ethic" doesn't really sound like either of them but it certainly doesn't sound like playing both of them. 

I'd play Huddlestone alongside Elsnik and or Guy; and have Thorne either on the bench or I'd sell to QPR

Depends what you want from your deep player. George offers greater protection to the back four and controls games to a far greater extent. Hudds’ passing is more creative and his technique allows him to find more difficult passes first time.

You either make Huddlestone your team’s creator in chief and sign battlers to do his dirty work and runners for him to pick out or sign footballers for Thorne to feed and allow to attack.

The extreme version of this argument would be Pirlo or Busquets. 

5 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Don't kno who the third person was, but i remember another match where Martin was brought on near the end, and he, Thorne and Russell waltzed the ball from left corner of our box to the right corner of the opposition's box with wonderul one-touch tippy-tappy a la McClaren 1. Superb and got a standing ovation!

No wonder we got rid asap.

one decent hoof could have achieved that in half the time.

gaz will have been fuming.

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep, true though and justified. 

The main criticism I would level at him is that he just isnt that good. 

He was wonderful in the run up to wembley.

thats why most folk are prepared to be patient.

Personally i fear he's bost, but i'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He was wonderful in the run up to wembley.

thats why most folk are prepared to be patient.

Personally i fear he's bost, but i'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

He was performing to a top Championship standard in 15/16 but under McClaren he was incredible

5 hours ago, jono said:

Great post, thanks. 

especially when your career is dependent on being physically 100%

With sports science where it is I think the club know if the injuries have buggered him up and cos we’ve gave him a new contract we can only assume they haven’t. That’s a positive. 

He does look heavy (but they’re monitored like buggery for BMI etc so assume he was actually not fat)and there were brief moments of him looking his previous self but overall, he was poor. GR clearly believed in him for a while but it didn’t work. It’s all a bit weird but if the problem is in his head / form then at least a it’s fixable and we have a quality player with a few temporary (hopefully) issues. 

Archived