What I’d really like to know about George

jono

For me a fit GT would walk into any championship side. 

I think the interesting thing about last season was that most agreed GT didn’t look himself however upto the point where he got dropped his points per game ratio was the best at the club. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

If George can't manage to get himself fit and ready for the start of this season, he doesn't deserve the shirt.

In reality, he's a phenomenal player, struggled with injuries yes, but the club has been filling his pockets since 2014 with nothing in return.

Out of all our players, he should be the one who isn't having the summer off, he should be in the gym, running, getting sharp and trim.

I'm giving him one last chance, he's got to be in the team at the start of the season, looking like the old player he was, or for me it's pack your bags George. 

I wouldn’t be quite as blunt as that but I get your drift and it’s a reasonable stance. For me he has the season to show something. 

But if it’s all stuttering stuff by the January window then I guess the money men will start to get restless. 

I just see a very unlucky player .. remember the knee was a long time ago and a leg break like his has nothing to do with being made of glass, it was career threatening lousy luck. .. given the cost of players these days and his relative youth,  I am not going to write GT off any more quickly than absolutely necessary 

Anyone who wants to see Thorne back for us, answer me this question: from what you have seen of him since he signed permanently, what other than reputation alone warrants him being in consideration for the first team? I think he's dining out from his loan spell, and that was over 4 years ago. 

13 hours ago, GermanRam said:

Bet accepted.

Let him have an injury-free pre-season, let him get more and more self-confidence and a manager who believes in him.

Still our best midfielder.

"Be very surprised to see GT play championship football again. Perhaps dropping to League 1, or maybe SPL"

Not sure where you read in my comment that I was offering a wager? Just an opinion. That's generally the purpose of the forum.

On 05/06/2018 at 17:09, Anag Ram said:

The guy has had two serious injuries and a number of other less serious ones.

He is clearly struggling to regain his form and fitness.  Being fit is not the ability to lollop about for 90 minutes. It is the mental and physical sharpness to read the game and react. 

When you don't have that, there's a tendency to either get caught in possession or to rush/overhit your passes.

I'm glad he's having a rest because if he really is committed to this club he will have to work very hard indeed on his fitness between now and the start of the season. 

I would love to see him demanding the ball and spraying passes like he did a couple of years back. He was very impressive.

Part of the problem is that we are all wanting the George Thorne of 2014 playing like he did in that 2014 team. Sadly we have a completely different team playing in a totally different style (although I hesitate to use the word "style" for how we played last season). And the "style" didn't suit George, so regardless of fitness levels, he was bound to struggle in the set-up we had last season. In a similar manner people are eager to declare the post-injury Will Hughes as being no good, when in actually fact he too was playing in a different team with a totally different style, which didn't suit his strengths. In addition he was virtually always played out of position, usually defensive-mid, which wasted his talents.

By contrast, watch a video of the Manchester United v Derby County cup match at Old Trafford. George was a different player that night, and was very comfortable against players of that level.

This season may well be his "make or break" year, but assuming we play football this season, we ought to give him a chance and get behind him, instead of bitching and expecting him to fail.

GO FOR IT, GEORGE!

13 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Part of the problem is that we are all wanting the George Thorne of 2014 playing like he did in that 2014 team. Sadly we have a completely different team playing in a totally different style (although I hesitate to use the word "style" for how we played last season). And the "style" didn't suit George, so regardless of fitness levels, he was bound to struggle in the set-up we had last season. In a similar manner people are eager to declare the post-injury Will Hughes as being no good, when in actually fact he too was playing in a different team with a totally different style, which didn't suit his strengths. In addition he was virtually always played out of position, usually defensive-mid, which wasted his talents.

By contrast, watch a video of the Manchester United v Derby County cup match at Old Trafford. George was a different player that night, and was very comfortable against players of that level.

This season may well be his "make or break" year, but assuming we play football this season, we ought to give him a chance and get behind him, instead of bitching and expecting him to fail.

GO FOR IT, GEORGE!

Spot on DavesaRam

On 06/06/2018 at 15:43, Andicis said:

Anyone who wants to see Thorne back for us, answer me this question: from what you have seen of him since he signed permanently, what other than reputation alone warrants him being in consideration for the first team? I think he's dining out from his loan spell, and that was over 4 years ago. 

Err...the vast majority of his performances in a Derby shirt? ?

Did 13/14 and 15/16 happen or did I just dream them? ?

Honestly, the effort going into re-writing this Ram’s history is mind-boggling. 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Err...the vast majority of his performances in a Derby shirt? ?

Did 13/14 and 15/16 happen or did I just dream them? ?

Honestly, the effort going into re-writing this Ram’s history is mind-boggling. 

I said since he signed for us permanently, so rule that out 13/14 now, and then we had a good few months of Thorne in the start of 15/16 but was very mediocre after Christmas that season. He has 47 appearances for us, in 4 years. Some players get that in one season. I find a few good months at the end of a loan spell and one good start to the season doesn't excuse the other 3 1/2 years of him contributing nothing at all.

22 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I said since he signed for us permanently, so rule that out 13/14 now, and then we had a good few months of Thorne in the start of 15/16 but was very mediocre after Christmas that season. He has 47 appearances for us, in 4 years. Some players get that in one season. I find a few good months at the end of a loan spell and one good start to the season doesn't excuse the other 3 1/2 years of him contributing nothing at all.

A) Can’t just be me that doesn’t remember it that way at all, can it? Perhaps some statisticians can provide some data on this because I can remember George being one of the only consistently quality players in that Clement/Wassall side.

B) Excuse the 3 and 1/2 years of contributing nothing at all? Are you serious? How’s he going to contribute when he’s injured? 

I don’t mind criticising players, especially the ones that actually deserve it, but this is all ridiculous. I’m starting to wonder if a certain narrative about being on his phone too much has led to this...

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

A) Can’t just be me that doesn’t remember it that way at all, can it? Perhaps some statisticians can provide some data on this because I can remember George being one of the only consistently quality players in that Clement/Wassall side.

B) Excuse the 3 and 1/2 years of contributing nothing at all? Are you serious? How’s he going to contribute when he’s injured? 

I don’t mind criticising players, especially the ones that actually deserve it, but this is all ridiculous. I’m starting to wonder if a certain narrative about being on his phone too much has led to this...

Maybe my memory is wrong? From what I can remember I found him rather underwhelming the second half of 15/16, he was getting man marked out of games and had substantially lower impact from the first half. 

He can't contribute. However, that doesn't mean I can't criticism him for his inability to stay fit. We shouldn't have offered him a new contract for that reason alone. It's a very valid point to question the use of a player who is never fit and ready for selection. 

I don't even know the narrative of him being on his phone? 

It doesn't matter how talented Thorne once was, his performances this season were way below the standard of Ledley's and Huddlestone's, so unless he steps it up, I back what I'm saying, Thorne hasn't shown enough for people to consider him even close to being better than Huddlestone. 

30 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He can't contribute. However, that doesn't mean I can't criticism him for his inability to stay fit.

If you genuinely think it’s fair to criticise George for getting injured, or want to criticise him for getting injured, then I’m afraid this conversation is done, because that is on an out-of-this-world level of absurd. 

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

If you genuinely think it’s fair to criticise George for getting injured, or want to criticise him for getting injured, then I’m afraid this conversation is done, because that is on an out-of-this-world level of absurd. 

Sure, let's pretend that he's helped out the team during those years of being out. I can criticise his value as a player, because he's added no value to our team season after season. He only has had one acceptable season for us, which was 15/16, other than that he has added nothing. 

Archived