What I’d really like to know about George

jono

6 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Just because I don’t cream myself over him every second doesn’t mean I am being vindictive. I just don’t think he is that good....

But you never justify why you don’t think he’s any good other than by stating that he wasn’t playing for West Brom… and then when that point’s challenged you disappear…

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, cannable said:

But you never justify why you don’t think he’s any good other than by stating that he wasn’t playing for West Brom… and then when that point’s challenged you disappear…

Ok. He isn’t that good because....

he cant run, he can’t tackle, he doesn’t head the ball, he isn’t a defensive midfielder, he isn’t an attacking midfielder, he ain’t a winger. 

He can pick out a pass and has a decent shot on him when he is allowed time but that’s it. The only decent run he has had was playing in a very good team in a very poor league....and he still never had 10 good appearances for us. 

On 03/06/2018 at 14:15, McLovin said:

I’m not sure his injury problems or poor fitness were the causes for his poor form.  You never lose your technical ability no matter how many injuries you have. I believe that the main reason for his struggles were the poor tactics and the formation. Thorne was best when he had midfield runners in front of him in a 4-3-3 and players running in behind so he could play through balls. However, Rowett played a pragmatic 4-2-3-1 where everything was to feet and static rather than players moving and creating space in behind.

Everything was to feet under Rowett??? It was anything but to feet, so many lumped balls into the corner of the pitch, it was so damned boring. I was praying for balls to feet on the ground, on our beautiful grass and I am without religion. 

Wgat a happy moment when he signed his contract at Stoke. 

6 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

he cant run, he can’t tackle, he doesn’t head the ball, he isn’t a defensive midfielder, he isn’t an attacking midfielder, he ain’t a winger. 

He can pick out a pass and has a decent shot on him when he is allowed time but that’s it. The only decent run he has had was playing in a very good team in a very poor league....and he still never had 10 good appearances for us. 

I think you needed a better tv reception. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Why Thorne over Huddlestone? What did he show to deserve that? 

What on earth has Huddlestone got over George. Even George is faster than Hudds, he tackles, passes, reads the game, shoots, heads, etc all better than Hudds.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What on earth has Huddlestone got over George. Even George is faster than Hudds, he tackles, passes, reads the game, shoots, heads, etc all better than Hudds.

He... doesn’t though. Even at Thornes peak, Huddlestone is still a better passer than him, reads the game at least as well, tackles better than the current Thorne as well.

Im a huge Thorne fan, but Huddlestone is absolute class, if he had a hard more pace he’d have 50 England caps.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He... doesn’t though. Even at Thornes peak, Huddlestone is still a better passer than him, reads the game at least as well, tackles better than the current Thorne as well.

Im a huge Thorne fan, but Huddlestone is absolute class, if he had a hard more pace he’d have 50 England caps.

What utter rose-coloured spectacles. Hudds was made to look much better than he is by a system that allowed him to do little bar pump long passes about the field,

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What utter rose-coloured spectacles. Hudds was made to look much better than he is by a system that allowed him to do little bar pump long passes about the field,

Huddlestone literally Has around 200 premier league games, champions league appearances as well as England caps under his belt. He does far more than just “pump passes about” or he’d never have reached that level. And you claim I have rose coloured glasses? Just because your antichrist Rowett bought him doesn’t mean he’s no good. 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Huddlestone literally Has around 200 premier league games, champions league appearances as well as England caps under his belt. He does far more than just “pump passes about” or he’d never have reached that level. And you claim I have rose coloured glasses? Just because your antichrist Rowett bought him doesn’t mean he’s no good. 

He was playing for a relegated team in the Championship. Actually I don't think he was playing for them that much was he? What he may have been for Spurs is immaterial, for us he looks like a juggernaut, late to the tackle, little shooting ability and not great in the air. One or two nice passes though is all. ?

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I know you despised what was served on the pitch last season, but Huddlestone is a classy player. Mobility is his weakness and has held him back, yet despite that he has managed more in the game than a lot of players. If anything a lot of the time the system left him exposed!

A fully fit Thorne could have gone on to great things but we have no idea what shape he really is in.

9 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I know you despised what was served on the pitch last season, but Huddlestone is a classy player. Mobility is his weakness and has held him back, yet despite that he has managed more in the game than a lot of players. If anything a lot of the time the system left him exposed!

A fully fit Thorne could have gone on to great things but we have no idea what shape he really is in.

I don't rate Hudds and that will stand whether comparing him to George or not. What will he give us as a classy player next season if we don't play channel chasing passes?

Edit: oh and Livermore plays for England - what does that tell us?

Hudds is useful in the air, terrible at tackling, good at passing, and moves slower than a oil tanker.

he is the fundamental piece of kit that creates a sit deep, kick it long tactical strategy.

he can play some eye catching passes but can also have a stinker e.g. burton away.

if he could move he could be our beckenbauer but is more likely to be our tiger woods, pinging long balls with a no3 iron and slowly walking towards the target.

31 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Thorne is only 25. I'd argue we haven't seen his peak yet. He's been unlucky with injuries no doubt but I have fingers crossed that he can come back to form next season under the tutelage of FL and JM.

42 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

he cant run

Fair but not really a requirement of a deep midfielder 

he can’t tackle

He made more tackles and interceptions than any other midfielder in his last full season (min 23 apps)

he doesn’t head the ball,

Fair

he isn’t a defensive midfielder, he isn’t an attacking midfielder, he ain’t a winger. 

Filler

He can pick out a pass and has a decent shot on him when he is allowed time but that’s it.

The only decent run he has had was playing in a very good team in a very poor league....and he still never had 10 good appearances for us. 

Forest, Charlton, Blackpool, Doncaster, Barnsley, Watford, Huddersfield, Brighton 2, Wembley, Bolton

7 minutes ago, Seaside Sam said:

thorne as always flattered to deceive ,promised so much but with one thing or another as never justified his contract renewals,we can't afford to wait any longer 

I disagree, we can afford to wait and I think we should. For a start, due to his injury record, we wouldn't get much for him currently.

3 hours ago, brutamuk said:

Thorney currently in Kansas with his missus staying with Johnny Russell. 

Video on Instagram of them playing catch in the garden. 

Thorney sat in a chair like a grandad playing with his grandkids. 

Russel threw the ball over the fence. 

Nothing changes. 

If George isn't back in the saddle by jan 2019, then i think he could be the next to bugger off to America. 

It makes sense if you think about it.

Another Giles Barnes.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Just because I don’t cream myself over him every second doesn’t mean I am being vindictive. I just don’t think he is that good....

Not sure everyone is creaming themselves over George pal, I think that's probably a product of your overactive imagination ?

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I disagree. I've not seen anything from Thorne recently over Huddlestone. 4 years ago, your argument holds water. Today, it doesn't. 

Archived