What I’d really like to know about George

jono

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Michael Carrick has played at the high st level for the biggest football club in the world....George couldn’t get in a crappy west brom team..

The whole basis of you not rating him appears to be because a 19 year-old George Thorne wasn’t playing ahead of Argentinan international Claudio Yacob or Congolese international Youssouf Mulumbu in a West Brom side that finished 8th.

Incidentally, that season he was recalled from a loan-spell at Peterborough and played five games for West Brom before doing his first ACL. 

Thorney currently in Kansas with his missus staying with Johnny Russell. 

Video on Instagram of them playing catch in the garden. 

Thorney sat in a chair like a grandad playing with his grandkids. 

Russel threw the ball over the fence. 

Nothing changes. 

The guy has had two serious injuries and a number of other less serious ones.

He is clearly struggling to regain his form and fitness.  Being fit is not the ability to lollop about for 90 minutes. It is the mental and physical sharpness to read the game and react. 

When you don't have that, there's a tendency to either get caught in possession or to rush/overhit your passes.

I'm glad he's having a rest because if he really is committed to this club he will have to work very hard indeed on his fitness between now and the start of the season. 

I would love to see him demanding the ball and spraying passes like he did a couple of years back. He was very impressive.

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The guy has had two serious injuries and a number of other less serious ones.

He is clearly struggling to regain his form and fitness.  Being fit is not the ability to lollop about for 90 minutes. It is the mental and physical sharpness to read the game and react. 

When you don't have that, there's a tendency to either get caught in possession or to rush/overhit your passes.

I'm glad he's having a rest because if he really is committed to this club he will have to work very hard indeed on his fitness between now and the start of the season. 

I would love to see him demanding the ball and spraying passes like he did a couple of years back. He was very impressive.

On the other hand...……….Maybe he thinks he can have a well paid career at a lower level with Johnny? ?

On 03/06/2018 at 23:15, MuespachRam said:

He hasn’t played more than 10 games where he has been “incredible”

Even if this were true, it'd be 10 more games than the majority of our squad and that's not because they are poor.

We all get that you don't rate him. That's your opinion and it's fair enough. The need to rubbish him again and again however, is just plain weird and more than a tad vindictive. 

Of all the players who I think were a bit pissed off with Rowett ball last season, Thorne would be top of my list! 

I am very interested to see what Lampard can do to re-motivate him. That for me is key to him playing at the top of his game again.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Of all the players who I think were a bit pissed off with Rowett ball last season, Thorne would be top of my list! 

I am very interested to see what Lampard can do to re-motivate him. That for me is key to him playing at the top of his game again.

I think johnny russell was the most pissed off.

Maybe george is looking at the option of following him to America.

Just now, Waffle said:

Age trumps ability? Thorne hasn't looked good for 2 years due to persistent injuries. Huddlestone may be older, but he's still 10x more reliable than George Thorne is, whether Thorne is younger or not, you'll get more games out of Huddlestone next season than Thorne.

Just now, Andicis said:

Age trumps ability? Thorne hasn't looked good for 2 years due to persistent injuries. Huddlestone may be older, but he's still 10x more reliable than George Thorne is, whether Thorne is younger or not, you'll get more games out of Huddlestone next season than Thorne.

I think on his day George provides more to the team than Tom. I’m more hoping he finds his form again.

2 minutes ago, Waffle said:

I think on his day George provides more to the team than Tom. I’m more hoping he finds his form again.

Problem is, he was last ''on his day'' in 2014. We can't wait for him. Since we signed him permanently, he's not been very good.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Problem is, he was last ''on his day'' in 2014. We can't wait for him. Since we signed him permanently, he's not been very good.

I agree with the points that you’ve made but we’ve actually given George time to recover. I really feel he can be important for us again. How likely that is, I’m not sure.

19 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Why Thorne over Huddlestone? What did he show to deserve that? 

As I’ve mentioned earlier in the thread, you choose the one that suits your set-up. Thorne brings more control, better cover and has those zipped balls into the half-spaces in his locker. 

Huddlestone’s technique is better as is his passing in behind and he’s more creative. 

If we sign battlers and runners it’s Huddlestone, if it’s technicians it’s Thorne. 

1 minute ago, cannable said:

As I’ve mentioned earlier in the thread, you choose the one that suits your set-up. Thorne brings more control, better cover and has those zipped balls into the half-spaces in his locker. 

Huddlestone’s technique is better as is his passing in behind and he’s more creative. 

If we sign battlers and runners it’s Huddlestone, if it’s technicians it’s Thorne. 

Does he provide better cover? He did, but last time he appeared for us he looked out of shape and immobile. I would say Huddlestone also has the zipped balls into space in his locker! George Thorne of 2014 can offer more than Huddlestone, George Thorne of 2018 offers less in almost every aspect. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Does he provide better cover? He did, but last time he appeared for us he looked out of shape and immobile. I would say Huddlestone also has the zipped balls into space in his locker! George Thorne of 2014 can offer more than Huddlestone, George Thorne of 2018 offers less in almost every aspect. 

The 2018 George Thorne has been playing in a two, which is totally totally totally different to playing as a lone pivot. Not sure about Huddlestone having those zipped forward passes in his locker either, he’s more of a walk to be bounced off of short or a tennis ball launcher if he has time and space. 

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Even if this were true, it'd be 10 more games than the majority of our squad and that's not because they are poor.

We all get that you don't rate him. That's your opinion and it's fair enough. The need to rubbish him again and again however, is just plain weird and more than a tad vindictive. 

Just because I don’t cream myself over him every second doesn’t mean I am being vindictive. I just don’t think he is that good....

Archived