What I’d really like to know about George

jono

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

Thorne is only 25. I'd argue we haven't seen his peak yet. He's been unlucky with injuries no doubt but I have fingers crossed that he can come back to form next season under the tutelage of FL and JM.

I meant injury free by peak, you’re right he may get better and I hope he does. He’s one of my favourite derby players of this generation. He’ll never be as good as Huddlestone tho imo, not technically so in any case. Huddlestones composure and passing ability is second to none so that’s nothing to be ashamed of. His physicicallity in that role is a massive asset mind.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I disagree. I've not seen anything from Thorne recently over Huddlestone. 4 years ago, your argument holds water. Today, it doesn't. 

Well next season we'll see. But tbh I'd rather Elsnik than Hudds.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Well next season we'll see. But tbh I'd rather Elsnik than Hudds.

Thing is, they're very different players. Elsnik couldn't play the Huddlestone role I don't think. I'd like to see Hudds as the anchor in a midfield three, and have Elsnik as one of the two. 

On 03/06/2018 at 12:44, jono said:

We all saw last season that GT was off the pace. Uncharacteristic errors on the ball, not as quick as he was (that was never lightning but it was ok, and more to the point his speed off the mark, for the first yard was, like an engine with clogged fuel lines. You could see the thought there but his body wasn’t responding as quickly as it used to, which IMO lead to the errors and lack of form that were so evident. 

What I really want to know is: what his medic / training / techi / sports science  stats are compared to 3 years ago ? I think a lot is down to broken bones muscles, repairing tendons and all sorts - So is there empirical data that says something like George is getting better ?  - for example if  last season he was between 89% and 92% in a series of measurable parameters .. Then after being dropped and to where we are now ? As in, is he looking between 91% and 96% and on an upward curve, or has he plateaued? 

Be very surprised to see GT play championship football again. Perhaps dropping to League 1, or maybe SPL. 

11 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

I disagree, we can afford to wait and I think we should. For a start, due to his injury record, we wouldn't get much for him currently.

write it off and move on ,waste of space and overrated ,plus saving on his wages

9 hours ago, europia said:

Be very surprised to see GT play championship football again. Perhaps dropping to League 1, or maybe SPL. 

Bet accepted.

Let him have an injury-free pre-season, let him get more and more self-confidence and a manager who believes in him.

Still our best midfielder.

26 minutes ago, Seaside Sam said:

46 appearances in over 4 years ,wow ,that really is no use to the team,we can hark on as much as we like about what he gives to the team,but we need players week in  week out

Yeah true, you are right.

Still he should be at 100% next season. There are no excuses now and I expect him to be fit for a whole season. Otherwise we have to look for consequences, sure.

If we can get the Thorne back when he broke into the side against Forest in the 5-0, and the Thorne first half of the season with Clement then we've got a serious player on our hands. 

He deserves another opportunity for me. Some of his passing in between the lines can be deadly. Would love him to get back to his best as the luck he's had is so shattering.  

I appreciate its a big IF but I think we should stand by him with a full pre-season and also having the second half of the season off he will have all the opportunity to come back fitter and stronger. 

All the players will have a clean slate, and should be motivated with the opportunity to work with the new coaching team. 

Rooting for you Georgey Boy! 

12 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

If we can get the Thorne back when he broke into the side against Forest in the 5-0, and the Thorne first half of the season with Clement then we've got a serious player on our hands. 

He deserves another opportunity for me. Some of his passing in between the lines can be deadly. Would love him to get back to his best as the luck he's had is so shattering.  

I appreciate its a big IF but I think we should stand by him with a full pre-season and also having the second half of the season off he will have all the opportunity to come back fitter and stronger. 

All the players will have a clean slate, and should be motivated with the opportunity to work with the new coaching team. 

Rooting for you Georgey Boy! 

Totally agree with that

but get down to pre-season gym early and start to get fitter!! With all the other upwardly mobile cart horses!! 

2 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

write it off and move on ,waste of space and overrated ,plus saving on his wages

That's your opinion. Mine is that Thorne is well worth persevering with. A fit and in-form Thorne will be like a new signing to the squad, the quality of which IMO we would currently be unable to afford.

51 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

he's on holiday with JR and the wags, hes got a 6 pack. Definitely not over weight. Lets see what he's like pre season.

I've got a couple of 6 packs of beer in the fridge, unfortunately I also have a snapped achilles tendon. ☹️

I'm hoping this 2018-2019 season will be the dawn of a fantastic era for Derby under FL, and the RETURN OF GEORGE ?

2 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

I've got a couple of 6 packs of beer in the fridge, unfortunately I also have a snapped achilles tendon. ☹️

I'm hoping this 2018-2019 season will be the dawn of a fantastic era for Derby under FL, and the RETURN OF GEORGE ?

Me to. GT really is a class act on his day. Up there with anything in the championship i reckon. 

Had bad injuries but still young enough to come back just as good. Still mid 20s If he was 29 itll be a different story

19 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

He... doesn’t though. Even at Thornes peak, Huddlestone is still a better passer than him, reads the game at least as well, tackles better than the current Thorne as well.

Im a huge Thorne fan, but Huddlestone is absolute class, if he had a hard more pace he’d have 50 England caps.

how can you muddle comparisons  you dont compare like with like for example you admit he reads the game equally as well but then say hudds is a better tackle when Thorne isnt fit  surely the point is WILL Thorne be able to regain full fitness and if he does is he worth a place in the starting line up and the answer to that is a big fat yessssssssssssssss

19 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Huddlestone literally Has around 200 premier league games, champions league appearances as well as England caps under his belt. He does far more than just “pump passes about” or he’d never have reached that level. And you claim I have rose coloured glasses? Just because your antichrist Rowett bought him doesn’t mean he’s no good. 

Roy isnt saying that at all what he is saying the tactics chosen by Rowett was tailored made for the present day Huddlestone which is accurate long passes

If George can't manage to get himself fit and ready for the start of this season, he doesn't deserve the shirt.

In reality, he's a phenomenal player, struggled with injuries yes, but the club has been filling his pockets since 2014 with nothing in return.

Out of all our players, he should be the one who isn't having the summer off, he should be in the gym, running, getting sharp and trim.

I'm giving him one last chance, he's got to be in the team at the start of the season, looking like the old player he was, or for me it's pack your bags George. 

Archived