New Kit Sponsor - 32Red

ThePrisoner

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/05/2018 at 20:13, hiltonram said:

Morally wrong in so many ways. Not good Mel and now were about to appoint a manager who has never managed before. Where is this club heading?

To the Premier League in two years, I believe.

21 hours ago, Rampage said:

Points prediction for next year - 84 points. Top six finish but not automatic promotion.

Beat RowettStoke in semis 3-0

Play MaclarenQPR at Wembley

Last minute winner to ........................?

QPR....Chris Martin ??

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 20:29, Mick Harford said:

See, this is where I struggle a bit. I'm perhaps old-fashioned, but my first game was in '85 in the old 3rd division and back then DCFC was something for the community, a place to meet mates every other Saturday and regardless of the football something we had a bit of pride in. It was a sport that we all enjoyed going to.

It should not nor ever be a business, no matter how much that is the pervasive ideology pushed on us by (mainly) Sky, it's not about selling burgers from DNC, it should not be about getting little Johnny or Joanna the change Keepers shirt, should be about the game.

I know it's not my money, but I would not have minded seeing the club have some integrity and showing some social responsibility, by saying that we refuse to take betting money despite the fact it may harm us.

Just imagine if Mel had come out and explained to the fanbase why he didn't take this deal, the PR and goodwill would have been immense. As it is, we are just another business taking dollar from the highest bidder.

I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Totally agree. I am sick to death of watching football on SKY and then being totally bombarded with betting adverts in the breaks. Great that they ask us to bet responsibly and stop when the fun stops though. That will make a big difference!!!! My uncle's life has been ruined through becoming addicted to gambling, lost his job, marriage, family and home because of it. Like you, disappointed.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Totally agree. I am sick to death of watching football on SKY and then being totally bombarded with betting adverts in the breaks. Great that they ask us to bet responsibly and stop when the fun stops though. That will make a big difference!!!! My uncle's life has been ruined through becoming addicted to gambling, lost his job, marriage, family and home because of it. Like you, disappointed.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but back in 85 they had shirt sponsors too. Quite a lot of alcohol related ones if I remeber correctly. I’m sorry for your uncle, but I’d hazard a guess that alcohol has ruined more lives than gambling. 

Remember back then there was boat loads of ads for ciggies too. Especially in F1. Eventually it got banned though. Maybe gambling and alcohol ads will get banned one day too. Although there wouldn’t be that much left then.

I actually think it’s good that they don’t allow it on the kids shirts. 

To be honest, if I was looking to sponsor a football club I’d be thinking, what do people do when they come to the football? They maybe like to have a little gamble on the result, and they like to have a beer.

So if they’re going to go to a website to have a gamble, let’s get our website out in front of them, so they don’t go to someone else’s.

So as a gambling company you can have an instant impact with this type of sponsorship. That’s why there are so many doing it.  

A tyre company on the other hand... there’s a lot less people sitting in the stands thinking, ‘I really just get some new tyres, I was tossing up between Avon and another midrange tyre, but now I see Avon or related to my beloved derby county, that’s my decision made.’ (It does happen, my last tyres were Avon for this very reason, but it’s probabky a lot less of an instant effect).

What type of company could you put on a shirt and be sure it would have as good a marketing effect as it probably does for a gambling company?

Or do you expect rolls Royce to sponsor it simply because they’re based on derby, but get no commercial value from the advertising. Or some rich derby fan owns a company and you expect them to sponsor it simply for the love of the club?

I seem to remember, when sponsors on shirts first appeared, any matches to be shown on TV (Match of the Day) had to have shirts without the sponsor on them.

There was one game going to be on Match of the Day but was not shown as Derby’s keeper came out for the first half in a shirt with the name on it. I’m sure it was that game, Swindlehurst scored a screamer but time may have played tricks on my mind.

As for gambling company names not appearing on kids shirts, I’ve had to spend time explaining to my lad why his shirt won’t have the sponsor's name on it, meaning he now knows more about them than if he’d just got one with it on. Sort of counter productive.

Kids shirts should be the same as adult shirts. Looks rubbish without a sponsor not like an 8 year olds going to start betting & boozing probably doesnt even know whats in the front

if we’ve got extra money from having a gambling sponsor that leaves us more room in the transfer market to bring in a better player & get promoted then im all for it. Thats where my morals lie 

Id sell the stadium naming rights for promotion ?

Archived