Giving players a clean slate

Gritty

Different managers, and their choice of systems and tactics, have a big impact on players performances. 

Chris Martin and Ince thrived under Mac. Vydra just couldn't get going under Mac.

Conversely, Rowett got the most out of Vydra and arguably more out of Baird (who was derided at one point before performing well under GR). But Martin just didn't fit. 

I don't believe any player on our books lacks talent or the ability to play at championship level.  But whether they do perform, depends on relationship with manager and his system and tactics. 

So let's give all players who are here at the end of the window a clean state.  Including Butterfield, Blackman, Anya, Johnson if still here. They'll only perform better if they have our support. And will perform worse if fans give them grief. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect that as lampard was at wembley checking players out he already has an idea of what we are lacking....therfore also has an idea on who needs replacing/shipping out in our current squad...

Completely agree.

Ive been saying to friends that whoever the new manager is has a difficult time to pick and trim our squad. It’s difficult to think of any of our players who are actually ‘poor’ (there’s no Bob Malcolm's, Claud Davies’ or Mickel Beck’s!) Most of the ones that are unpopular haven’t really been given the benefit of the doubt (apart from possibly Butterfield). Anya, Johnson, Blackman haven’t had a consistent place, position and partnership for half a season or more to truly judge their abilities or potential.

We know what Martin and Bryson could do, maybe they’re past their best. Maybe not.

Forsyth and Thorne were both premiership quality before both having horrendous injuries and being out for the best part of 2 seasons.

All of these players have been good or very good at sometime in their career. No reason they still can’t be.

With that in mind, I don’t worry about Restrictions on spending this season. If Frank, or whoever it is can’t fashion a team that at least bothers the top half of the championship with that little lot then they don’t deserve to be a manager.

Even if we have to cash in on Vydra, Carson and or Davies, I still think we have enough to trouble a top 8 finish. 

I still think that if we do sell a few, and maybe a Nugent or a Pearce or a Weiman are loaned out, we’ll still see a few additions from either young prem loanees or cheap but exciting League one purchases.

Surely the real goal of the new manager is galvanize what we’ve got. Have an ethos and get the whole club to buy into it. And not do a Rowett and stick rigidly to a plan that failed after January and then spend the last 10 games of the season still trying to find his best side.

4 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

I agree completely, but Butterfield will probably just burn the clean slate too, just like he did with all his bridges ??

look again at what he said. 99% of Rams fans now agree that Rowett's style was poo now he's left.

The problem is whoever is the manager will be they cannot see the players live in competitive action unlike former managers due to the window closing before the first game.

He is going to have to base his judgement on videos and trusted contacts on who to keep and who to move on.He will certainly have transfers in mind for when he gets the job  and what he requires from the players he has inherited.

I would suggest he contacts @B4ev6is for recommendations on the current crop.

1 minute ago, Beagle said:

The problem is whoever is the manager will be they cannot see the players live in competitive action unlike former managers due to the window closing before the first game.

He is going to have to base his judgement videos and trusted contacts on who to keep and who to move on.He will certainly have transfers in mind for when he gets the job  and what he requires from the players he has inherited.

The window shuts 5 days after the start of the EFL season. Only PL will kick off after the deadline day. 

42 minutes ago, feisty said:

Different managers, and their choice of systems and tactics, have a big impact on players performances. 

Chris Martin and Ince thrived under Mac. Vydra just couldn't get going under Mac.

Conversely, Rowett got the most out of Vydra and arguably more out of Baird (who was derided at one point before performing well under GR). But Martin just didn't fit. 

I don't believe any player on our books lacks talent or the ability to play at championship level.  But whether they do perform, depends on relationship with manager and his system and tactics. 

So let's give all players who are here at the end of the window a clean state.  Including Butterfield, Blackman, Anya, Johnson if still here. They'll only perform better if they have our support. And will perform worse if fans give them grief. 

Excellent idea. 

Not a chance unfortunately.......

clarkeram7

Usually a huge believer in clean slates but alot of this side have had about 4/5 clean slates in the past few seasons in many formations. 

Gets to the points where we just need to accept we've been mugged off in the transfer market and the players aren't good enough. One thing Rowett was doing well was clearing the squad slowly, his signings were generally good but age isn't on our side. 

I've seen enough of the likes Weimann, Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman, Olsson, Forsyth, Bryson and Martin. If we take Lampard it's a new era ??

4 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

...his signings were generally good but age isn't on our side

Jerome, Ledley, Huddlestone, and Davies all spring chickens. Thank god Mel gave them short (but no doubt expensive) contracts.

1 hour ago, Beagle said:

He is going to have to base his judgement on videos and trusted contacts on who to keep and who to move on.He will certainly have transfers in mind for when he gets the job  and what he requires from the players he has inherited.

We can look forward to a front line of Mason 'Wanchope' Bennett and Callum Ball next season then ?

Archived