Which players took the longest to bed in

There has been a fair amount of criticism of Tom Lawrence and it's not entirely unfounded because he's was almost a straight swap from a financial standpoint with Ince, and he's not performed at Ince's level imho. 

However, I cannot help but think he reminds me of Leighton James and how long it took him to start playing to his potential.

I then started thinking of other players who took a long time to meet their potential in a Derby  shirt with David Nish and Craig Short immediately springing to mind.

Who would be on your list?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommy Johnson perhaps? Looked like a really poor signing for a while, but by the time he was signed by Villa had become something of a fan's favourite and went up a division.

Craig Short as you say, couldn't seem to cope with what then was a massive fee we had paid, for a defender, second only to Pallister at the time.

Nick Pickering on the other hand would be bedding in now, if football careers went in the 50s age wise.

1 minute ago, Mick Harford said:

Martin Taylor took about 7 years, every time he came in for Shilts he seemed to drop one in.

Then eventually he got the number one shirt (post Sutton if I'm remembering right) and he was immense.

That is bang on he was awful then just pulled it round and was amazing. 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Andi weimann was largely pointless for two years but was key last season, he took a while

You're on the wrong thread, the unpopular opinions thread is over there...

He was key how? He's everything that is wrong with last seasons football philosophy.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're on the wrong thread, the unpopular opinions thread is over there...

He was key how? He's everything that is wrong with last seasons football philosophy.

Had one of the biggest direct contributions to the number of goals we scored in terms of assists and goals in the squad? Last seasons philopshy was completely wrong, but that shouldn’t reflect on how we judge individuals in the system. Weimann played almost all the games and contributed significantly creatively in a team that finished 6th. Rowetts tactics were nowt to do with him.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Rowetts tactics were nowt to do with him.

Weimann 'shone' because of Rowetts tactics is the point. He's an ordinary footballer and more of an athlete, which is what Rowett prefers in his players.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Weimann 'shone' because of Rowetts tactics is the point. He's an ordinary footballer and more of an athlete, which is what Rowett prefers in his players.

But that’s not the point of the thread is it? Weimann was poo and then he became good. Doesn’t matter what sort of footballer he is, or what tactics he was playing under.

Not so much bedding in but getting use to first team football was Dean Sturridge.

I was only small but I can remember fans moaning when he used to come on at the BBG. 

Then Smith and Steve came in ana the rest is history. 

7 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Not so much bedding in but getting use to first team football was Dean Sturridge.

I was only small but I can remember fans moaning when he used to come on at the BBG. 

Then Smith and Steve came in ana the rest is history. 

It was the loan spell at Torquay that did him the world of good and then he came back firing on all cylinders. 

Derek Hales,

a brilliant player of his time,if memory serves me correctly chose to join us in preference to Liverpool.(Those were the days).

Can't remember him ever bedding in although he scored a screamer in a mid week game for us in the cup.

Archived