If it’s Frank

archied
Message added by Day

If it is Frank  

620 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

If we completely put emotion and excitement to one side, yes, Paul Smith is a more sensible option. 

I don't think many of us want to do that - we want to embrace the excitement and the unknown, the higher profile and the media frenzy. On top of that, Lamps is intelligent and extremely likeable. All these factors are immensely welcome after last season - this has given everyone (bar a few) a huge lift and I think that's what we all really needed right now. 

Are you actually confused as to why people are excited? it seems obvious... or are you just enjoying flaunting your superior critical thinking skills?

Or maybe I'm old enough to have gone through this so many times only to have had my hopes crushed that I no longer get excited by a name.

And I'll say again, I'm not against the appointment per se, I just think it's  a massive gamble based on nothing other than his playing career.

I'll have no ego about this if he comes in and blows it up, I'll happily say my doubts were unfounded. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

He was ok, but suffered at the highest level.

I also didn't include Maradona, David Platt, Bobby Charlton, Alan Ball, John Barnes, Ossie Ardiles, Graeme Souness and Alan Shearer.

Way more players fall short than succeed when they move into management.

Souness was a very successful manager as were Conte, Mancini, Maldini, Clough, Simone, Capello, Rijkard, Cruyff, Mackay, Dalgleish, Del Bosque, Trapatonni, Pep, Ferguson etc etc etc etc

There are hundreds of examples of....

Great players becoming great managers

Rubbish player becoming great managers

Non players becoming great managers

and

Great players becoming rubbish managers

Rubbish players becoming rubbish managers

Non players becoming rubbish managers

We have had examples of all these at our club.... I bet you can easily give me an example of each

9 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

If we completely put emotion and excitement to one side, yes, Paul Smith is a more sensible option. 

I don't think many of us want to do that - we want to embrace the excitement and the unknown, the higher profile and the media frenzy. On top of that, Lamps is intelligent and extremely likeable. All these factors are immensely welcome after last season - this has given everyone (bar a few) a huge lift and I think that's what we all really needed right now. 

Are you actually confused as to why people are excited? it seems obvious... or are you just enjoying flaunting your superior critical thinking skills?

Brother of the famous....Dean Smith.....

6 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Or maybe I'm old enough to have gone through this so many times only to have had my hopes crushed that I no longer get excited by a name.

You're welcome to have doubts - you're welcome to be completely against the appointment. I just took objection with you saying you were "confused" and  "couldn't get your head around" why people were excited. It seems like something perfectly normal for fans to get excited about. 

I think this experience versus no experience argument is a bit fatuous as we haven't heard the case for any candidate's appointment unlike Mel and his team.

The owners will have hopefully asked the candidates to explain how they are going to approach certain situations and judge them on their answers, based on what the club is loking for.

I support a number of organisations in interviewing and it's surprising how many of them just want to appoint someone whose done the job before, without really taking into account how well they've done it.

I'd be looking for a manager who matches the club's philosophy on how to play football, can engage the players, is clear on how he will get the best out of them, demonstrates a willingness to learn and adapt his style in response to situations and who can bring respect and contacts into the club. Do I think charisma is part of it? Yes, I  do and I would want to see a good public interface as it's an important part of a manager's job these days. 

So, someone with experience maybe has a head start in answering the interview questions but employing someone who is too stuck in their ways can be the wrong decision too - just look at Pearson.

Rowett, I think, said all the right things but didn’t actually do them! And he still came very close to promotion.

Mac did them but failed by a whisker.

It's all a bit of a lottery, really, employing a manager and I think there's an element of 'emperor's new clothes' about all managers - at least an inexperienced one won't yet have had that embarrassing denouement!  

14 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Souness was a very successful manager as were Conte, Mancini, Maldini, Clough, Simone, Capello, Rijkard, Cruyff, Mackay, Dalgleish, Del Bosque, Trapatonni, Pep, Ferguson etc etc etc etc

There are hundreds of examples of....

Great players becoming great managers

Rubbish player becoming great managers

Non players becoming great managers

and

Great players becoming rubbish managers

Rubbish players becoming rubbish managers

Non players becoming rubbish managers

We have had examples of all these at our club.... I bet you can easily give me an example of each

Souness? Other than what he did in the Mickey Mouse league up north he did nothing...

19 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

I’ve made the assumption that he would surround himself with people he trusted who would advise him.  Of course he’s inexperienced but he’s probably bright enough to know he would need the help and support of a good backroom team.

Like most managers do.

Let’s hope Rowett takes his cronies to Stoke and Frank’s allowed to bring his own in then. 

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Question.

Would we get as excited if Beckham was coming?

I think it’s considered that Lampard has a good knowledge of the game and comes from good coaching stock.

I'd struggle hugely with Beckham and Gerrard for that matter.

Frank's a different beast. Just Google "Frank Lampard's face". Look at it for a while. It's lovely.

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Question.

Would we get as excited if Beckham was coming?

I think it’s considered that Lampard has a good knowledge of the game and comes from good coaching stock.

And to add to that it is well known that he has an excellent work ethic too, first one in to training and last one out (even at his peak). We need that philosophy to run through the club from top to bottom & I believe he will do just that. 

To lead from the front gets the troops rallied and ready for the battle ahead. 

4 hours ago, Lambchop said:

That’s a slightly scary admission. 

I wasn’t particularly a fan of Lampard as a player, mainly because I don’t follow England or Chelsea, and I don’t see the current excitement being anything to do with him being ‘cool’ either.

His appointment would hopefully be more to do with his experience, standing and connections in the game, and is exciting fans because it shows that we’re finally willing to think outside the box, after an excruciating season largely spent camped within it. 

Bravo! @Lambchop

4 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I'd struggle hugely with Beckham and Gerrard for that matter.

Frank's a different beast. Just Google "Frank Lampard's face". Look at it for a while. It's lovely.

No wonder Amy Winehouse named her first album after him. ?

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Souness? Other than what he did in the Mickey Mouse league up north he did nothing...

Won the league cup with Blackburn and won a few cups in Turkey.

Although arguably his greatest acheivement would be planting a Galatasaray flag in Fenerbahce's centre circle after a derby match and surviving.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He took the flag of his team and planted it on the centre spot of his bitterest opponents ground while in Turkey, causing a riot that made 300 look like a night out in Alfreton.

Then he persisted with the tache long after it fell out of fashion, and you say he's achieved nothing as a manager!

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

No wonder Amy Winehouse named her first album after him. ?

She did indeed Ellafella, excellent piece of Lampard trivia there. Did you know he also has a large sausage named after him? You'll have to ask Christine what that's all about though.

Archived