If it’s Frank

archied
Message added by Day

If it is Frank  

620 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Want Lampard.

Bryan Robson, Paul Ince and Roy Keane all had as much, if not more, experience than Lampard when it came to running a midfield, yet all flamed out as managers.

What has he done to make you think he can succeed as a manager?

I'm not saying he won't, but at least Dean Smith has a track record that you can assess. With Lampard it's a total roll of the dice.

Zidane had no real previous managerial experience before taking over the reigns at Real Madrid ( coaching the B team doesn't count!).

Not sure what he's up to this weekend.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Want Lampard.

Bryan Robson, Paul Ince and Roy Keane all had as much, if not more, experience than Lampard when it came to running a midfield, yet all flamed out as managers.

He's much classier than all of those three! ?

38 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

If you was a realist, you'd give the guy a chance and not think of the doom and gloom from the outset.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be happy with any appointment.

You clearly don' under stand what realism is.

Realism involves looking at the facts and using critical thinking.

Bringing up the FACT that he has no managerial experience and a concern that there have been dozens of great football players who couldn't hack it as managers, is not being doom and gloom.

I don't know what he'll be like as a manger, but I do know that history suggest he'll not be great or even competent.

So my question was around my confusion that so many people are in favor of him when there is no logic to support that belief.

And yes, I would be happy with several appointments. Dean Smith or Nigel Clough would make me very happy, but feel free to jump to erroneous conclusions based on next to nothing.

48 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Want Lampard.

I'm not saying he won't, but at least Dean Smith has a track record that you can assess. With Lampard it's a total roll of the dice.

When trying to win an argument why do people steer away from all the facts

Glenn Hoddle was a pretty successful manager for example yet did not make your list

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

You clearly don' under stand what realism is.

Realism involves looking at the facts and using critical thinking.

Bringing up the FACT that he has no managerial experience and a concern that there have been dozens of great football players who couldn't hack it as managers, is not being doom and gloom.

I don't know what he'll be like as a manger, but I do know that history suggest he'll not be great or even competent.

So my question was around my confusion that so many people are in favor of him when there is no logic to support that belief.

And yes, I would be happy with several appointments. Dean Smith or Nigel Clough would make me very happy, but feel free to jump to erroneous conclusions based on next to nothing.

You spoiled your paper with the Clough comment.

1 minute ago, AdamRam said:

When trying to win an argument why do people steer away from all the facts

Glenn Hoddle was a pretty successful manager for example yet did not make your list

He was ok, but suffered at the highest level.

I also didn't include Maradona, David Platt, Bobby Charlton, Alan Ball, John Barnes, Ossie Ardiles, Graeme Souness and Alan Shearer.

Way more players fall short than succeed when they move into management.

56 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I will match you with a Didier Deschamps, Diego Simeone and Zinedine Zidane

9 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

There are pages and pages over several threads of people explaining, rationally, exactly why they think it would be a good appointment, in spite of the obvious risks.

Many have ‘logically’ assessed our situation, and the alternatives available, and come to that conclusion.

You may disagree, but that doesn’t mean that others are stupid to see the potential. 

8 minutes ago, David said:

I will match you with a Didier Deschamps, Diego Simeone and Zinedine Zidane

Was just about to say, aren't some of the top managers in Europe former high level players. Pochettino played in that Argentina team that Owen skinned alive didn't he? 

For every Edgar Davids there is a Luis Enrique. 

It's not like most managers are coming straight out of Uni. They've nearly all played football before. Does playing for Nuneaton set you up to be a better manager than playing for Bayern? If so, why?

The only pattern is there is no pattern. 

5 hours ago, Derbados said:

This is ******* bonkers, is this actually happening. 

playing with the clubs future.

Probably the most crucial turning point at the club in years and it looks like we’re  going to appoint a manager who hasn’t even got his pro license yet to steer us through it. 

Utter madness

2 hours ago, Derbados said:

Bookmarked, let’s revisit in 6 months time  and see.

hang on, is Derby's WHOLE future based on the next 6 months? Screw you six months, see where we are next summer and the summer after.

2 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

I think that's where I am now.

In 6 months time we'll probably be wondering what the **** we were smoking! ?

again, since when has six months been a measure?

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Want Lampard.

Bryan Robson got promotion, and was the first manager to save a club bottom of the top division at Christmas from relegation. Paul Ince got promotion. Roy Keane got promotion. Dean Smith - NO promotion. Frank Lampard - we want promotion.

4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I also didn't include Maradona, David Platt, Bobby Charlton, Alan Ball, John Barnes, Ossie Ardiles, Graeme Souness and Alan Shearer.

Maradona has managed internationally as far as I know, didn't do too bad, did he get to the final of a World Cup? Didn't David Platt win a league in Italy as manager, then go on to be part of Mancini's successful setup at Man City. Cannot remember Bobby being a manager. Alan Ball got promotion, I'm sure of it. As did Ossie before having it stripped. Souness won leagues in Scotland and Turkey, promotion and league cup in England. Shearer had about 3 months. Bad examples.

Try Dalglish, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Klinsmann, Simeone, etc.

7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Depends what you class as failure, given that success is very often by winning something, most managers will by default fail, therefore by the law of averages more will fail.

I’m not saying you are wrong, but there are good example including Conte, Pep and the Tottenham manager for example that have succeeded. 

25 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

If we completely put emotion and excitement to one side, yes, Paul Smith is a more sensible option. 

I don't think many of us want to do that - we want to embrace the excitement and the unknown, the higher profile and the media frenzy. On top of that, Lamps is intelligent and extremely likeable. All these factors are immensely welcome after last season - this has given everyone (bar a few) a huge lift and I think that's what we all really needed right now. 

Are you actually confused as to why people are excited? it seems obvious... or are you just enjoying flaunting your superior critical thinking skills?

I’ve made the assumption that he would surround himself with people he trusted who would advise him.  Of course he’s inexperienced but he’s probably bright enough to know he would need the help and support of a good backroom team.

Like most managers do.

Archived