Curtis Davies

Cam the Ram

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

He's not the best centre half in the league , I've said before Keogh was better than him up untill February , he's good , I'm not slating him , but best in the league ? 

I think some stats for the season suggest he is.....

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

image.png.9d94eb3eb3a42f0ce0b6399e9a8a561a.png

Probably should have context there - OPTA stats in Whoscored suggests he was the second highest rated player in the league last year

It's got to be taken with a pinch of salt, according to that Craig Forsyth was better than Matej Vydra last season. 

45 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Probably should have context there - OPTA stats in Whoscored suggests he was the second highest rated player in the league last year

Unsurprisingly an awful lot of clearances and interceptions - something to do with how deep we sat?

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

It's got to be taken with a pinch of salt, according to that Craig Forsyth was better than Matej Vydra last season. 

Well obviously all statistics are just a single element of analysis - But I would have said he was one of the best CBs in the league last year - Definitely our best, and not many in the league better - And the stats suggest he had a good season too

Stats are stats - I hate it when people dismiss them out of hand completely though - The should always form an element of overall analysis

Interestingly I'm not that shocked stats say Vydra wasn't as good as 21 goals suggests - He's a great goalscorer but his overall contribution isn't what you'd expect from a forward these days - That's why he only seems to work in a front 2 - Any team playing 1 up top wouldn't be able to use him (as we found under McClaren 2) - Despite there being players with similar physical characteristics who can - For example he's taller than Vardy and I'd say a similar build, but Vardy can play a loan striker/number 9 role and Vydra can't

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Unsurprisingly an awful lot of clearances and interceptions - something to do with how deep we sat?

Quite possibly - And shows how under the cosh we were all season - Keogh had 6.4 clearances a game - That means our CB pairing had to make 15 clearances a game on average

The other playoff teams averaged 10-12 for context

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Matej Vydra is the outlier, more so than Forsyth anyway.

He scores goals, but his contribution in other areas that get tracked is negligible. Most strikers have dribbles and runs associated with their goals, or key passes/assists, or headers won, or tackles/interceptions - but Vydra just hits shots first time, and often scores. He does very little else.

It is worth nothing though that if Weimann and Lawrence could ever keep their heads, he would have multiple key passes and assists (often from the halfway line during a counter attack) and would have a slightly higher rating.

34 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Well obviously all statistics are just a single element of analysis - But I would have said he was one of the best CBs in the league last year - Definitely our best, and not many in the league better - And the stats suggest he had a good season too

Stats are stats - I hate it when people dismiss them out of hand completely though - The should always form an element of overall analysis

Interestingly I'm not that shocked stats say Vydra wasn't as good as 21 goals suggests - He's a great goalscorer but his overall contribution isn't what you'd expect from a forward these days - That's why he only seems to work in a front 2 - Any team playing 1 up top wouldn't be able to use him (as we found under McClaren 2) - Despite there being players with similar physical characteristics who can - For example he's taller than Vardy and I'd say a similar build, but Vardy can play a loan striker/number 9 role and Vydra can't

Quite possibly - And shows how under the cosh we were all season - Keogh had 6.4 clearances a game - That means our CB pairing had to make 15 clearances a game on average

The other playoff teams averaged 10-12 for context

I'd personally say Keogh was better than Davies over the whole of last season, both had periods at being top dog. Keogh until February/Early March & Davies from then until the end of the season. 

9 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Defensive stats and adama traore was top with mitrovic 4th?

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

Defensive stats and adama traore was top with mitrovic 4th?

It is on overall rating, when the defensive tab is clicked it shows the defensive stats, but doesn't change the overall rating. 

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

With the exception of Terry, any new centre half would be worse than Curtis. How can we find a better goalkeeper than Carson?

Why weaken the team that could not achieve promotion last year?

Truth is (and what we all need to understand) is that with the FFP issue there is little option other than the team being weaker next year. Best assets will be sold and cheaper replacements bought in. 

Now all we can hope is that we land on a magic mix inspired by a new management team and find success against the odds. Been done before and will happen again.

Ok so Mel has indicated that belts need tightening. I'm not sure that's really the same as us having hit the FFP ceiling so much as him saying that he can't keep investing the way he has to date (@£100 mill) without promotion or us pulling our horns in. Bear in mind we bid £6 mill for McLean and with the Rowett pay off and some 'outs' this window, there'll be a few quid to spend, no doubt.

I'd guess Mel is also sending a message to prospective sellers that we're not going to be soft touches paying over the odds anymore, which seems a sound enough strategy. 

I'd think we'll be pretty active in the loan market but I reckon there might be a tasty signing or two to further whet our appetites. Exciting times ?

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Ok so Mel has indicated that belts need tightening. I'm not sure that's really the same as us having hit the FFP ceiling so much as him saying that he can't keep investing the way he has to date (@£100 mill) without promotion or us pulling our horns in. Bear in mind we bid £6 mill for McLean and with the Rowett pay off and some 'outs' this window, there'll be a few quid to spend, no doubt.

I'd guess Mel is also sending a message to prospective sellers that we're not going to be soft touches paying over the odds anymore, which seems a sound enough strategy. 

I'd think we'll be pretty active in the loan market but I reckon there might be a tasty signing or two to further whet our appetites. Exciting times ?

Spot on

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Does anyone know how much we have to trim this season's budget by?

Well I’m hoping Mel does.

we've never publicly said any figures, papers have said (different) figures but they’ve never seemed to be based much except guesswork and poor mathematics 

Archived