£10m FFP Bill

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Hughes and Hendrick came through before we expanded the academy.

We aren't producing more and more, we are spending more to produce less.

People really shouldn't comment on things they know very, very little about.

That’s just rubbish. They was part of the academy whether before or after. Dont try and make it look worse. 

The academy is one of the best in the country with top coaches. We now just need the link between the academy and first team to be stronger. If it wasn’t for Sam Rush the academy would have produced more under the likes of Clough. 

We wouldnt attract players from 50+ miles away to play 4 times a week if it wasn’t. 

From the DET report on the last set of accounts (2016/2017), we looked to be making a loss of about £10m across the whole year, excluding player sales/signings (turner - (wages + operating costs)).  So given that we've supposedly cut costs since then, and made a profit on transfers, the idea that we're losing £3m a month sounds crazy.

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The academy isn't producing players because there are no academy products playing regularly for the first team (discounting Tom Huddlestone). Whether some youngsters would prove themselves if they were given the chance is academic. 

That's just the nature of the beast though, not a Derby County thing. When going all out for promotion to the richest league in the world the pressure for managers to succeed is ridiculous. No manager with a chairman demanding a promotion push in the Championship is going to risk throwing the kids in. Occasionally one come through like Sessegnon who is clearly so good that he can't be left out, but generally, you'll find very few home grown youngsters playing in the top ten of the Championship.

As I say, we are no different at Derby. Nigel Clough had the advantage of being mid-table to blood Hughes, Hendrick and the others. Now we're actively going for promotion it's much harder for the manager. The difference is that we spend vest amounts on our academy and other Championship clubs don't.

At last, some sense 

5 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The academy isn't producing players because there are no academy products playing regularly for the first team (discounting Tom Huddlestone). Whether some youngsters would prove themselves if they were given the chance is academic. 

That's just the nature of the beast though, not a Derby County thing. When going all out for promotion to the richest league in the world the pressure for managers to succeed is ridiculous. No manager with a chairman demanding a promotion push in the Championship is going to risk throwing the kids in. Occasionally one come through like Sessegnon who is clearly so good that he can't be left out, but generally, you'll find very few home grown youngsters playing in the top ten of the Championship.

As I say, we are no different at Derby. Nigel Clough had the advantage of being mid-table to blood Hughes, Hendrick and the others. Now we're actively going for promotion it's much harder for the manager. The difference is that we spend vest amounts on our academy and other Championship clubs don't.

The academy isn't producing players based on a manager not giving any of them a chance?

Surely it's more of a risk to play certain players coming back from long term injuries? 

There's so much more i have to say to this but don't know where to start!

This has come to fruition, at least:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/05/john-vicars-retires-from-lead-operations-role-at-derby-county

It's a sad fact of modern football that this saving will probably only save two weeks' of one player's salary.

Pleased that John wants to stay on as a non-executive director. Maybe puts to rest some people's opinions that Mel is impossible to work with!

5 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

That’s just rubbish. They was part of the academy whether before or after. Dont try and make it look worse. 

The academy is one of the best in the country with top coaches. We now just need the link between the academy and first team to be stronger. If it wasn’t for Sam Rush the academy would have produced more under the likes of Clough. 

We wouldnt attract players from 50+ miles away to play 4 times a week if it wasn’t. 

Why is it rubbish? Because its evidence which blows your particularly ignorant answer out of the water? You justify the academy's expense by saying that it produced a huge profit on the sale of two players. Both of whom were produced before the academy became expensive.

How did Sam Rush inhibit the academy? I would contend that our promotion pushes have inhibited the academy, along with some poor recruitment.

Some of the stuff Sale writes is factually dubious. This current story is at odds with the annual report and suggests we have no income at all, despite it rising in 2016-17.

Now with the manager gone, the ops director going, Rush booted earlier, it sort of looks all set up for a new regime coming in.

41 minutes ago, Carnero said:

There is no FFP fine without promotion.

I wouldn't be bothered about a transfer embargo for next season - we could do with a season of trimming the fat, trying to get the best out of what we have and introducing youth.

Come next summer, 12 seniors are out of contract and the rebuild can start.

BRING IT ON EFL, BRING IT ON!!!

from what I have read the new rules apply irrespective of promotion being achieved. 

As for the seniors going the impact of impairment on the values held in the balance sheet could be enough to hurt us badly.  I stand to be corrected but lets say we have retained BJ value in the balance sheet at say £6m but we have to offload him before his contract ends at say £2m, that's £4m loss against profit.  Don't sell them he walks for free, the only other option is to renew his contract.  If I'm right then Vyds money would have to be used to balance off the seniors who are 'impaired'.  would value anybody else's view

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Why not ?

An article that sends out messages that we have no money, might have to sell our best players and maybe getting fined what ever spare money there is. Surely not what a potential manager wants to see.

Or do you see it differently than it actually is? 

8 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

An article that sends out messages that we have no money, might have to sell our best players and maybe getting fined what ever spare money there is. Surely not what a potential manager wants to see.

Yeah maybe , media blow things up and also there was a comment at one of the fans forums from Mel saying the price doubles when Derby come knocking for a player. ?

8 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

surely you as an intelligent individual do not believe everything you read in a newspaper.  if a manager is interested in this role the mail wont put them off.  Just go to the interview and ask them for the truth, simples

The wage bill was £35m, but with Bent/Shackell/Baird leaving, now I'd suggest more like £32m? £3m a month losses is ********, in my uninformed opinion.

We need to have a tight year to avoid breaching the 3 year rolling limits, but I'd suggest talk of £10m in fines is a bit daft.

3 hours ago, Derbados said:

Surprised he hasn’t overhauled the academy staff along time ago. He’s pumped millions into the academy and we are producing absolutely naff all. 

Controversial moment, Forests academy is leaps and bounds above ours and they haven’t spent anything near what we have on ours. The set up is there, it’s the staff running it I question 

3 hours ago, timmo said:

Coventrys academy produces lots of top quality players maddison at Norwich and Calum Wilson Bournemouth to name 2.  I know one of the academy coaches and it's run on a shoestring people using there own cars to ferry people about and stuff like that   Something seriously wrong at our academy to produce nothing from the millions ploughed into it. 

I suspect that it will take more than 3 years to see value for money with the academy.

Archived