£10m FFP Bill

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

The academy is producing, but the players have limited exposure to first team football when the need it. Either in the first team or out on loan.

Spot on. Listening this morning on talksport to Steve Bruce, and Stuart Pearce

Bruce (in a point of the balance of his AV team) that you need to bleed young players through and be exposed to the experienced players. It’s a vital part of your squad.

Pearce (talking about either Cairney or Sessegnon) happy they aren’t going to the WC because the most important thing they need meaningful game time/experience to develop. Hopes they stay at Fulham another season and play rather than sitting in a prem teams bench.

It’s just vital, for your club identity and everything else.

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The academy is producing, but the players have limited exposure to first team football when the need it. Either in the first team or out on loan.

What are they producing if the youngsters have limited exposure to first team football when out on loan to lower league clubs?

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

What are they producing if the youngsters have limited exposure to first team football when out on loan to lower league clubs?

I think the problem comes again to an over bloated first team. No first team exposure here takes away from development, those players go out on loan and are thrown in the deep end and some struggle to have the maturity (in a more general sense) to make an impact.

39 minutes ago, Mckram said:

I think it’s more of if we don’t cut our spending then we will face a fine rather than we are going to be fined.

A lot of contracts are up after next season I believe? So that will probably sort a lot of it out!

Vydra going will also probably cover a chunk of it.

No, but my point is, there are no fines UNLESS you are promoted. We haven't been promoted, so If we break FFP, we get a transfer embargo instead. That's why I can't make any sense of this "£10m FFP bill" claim.

I can’t see Mel having to write a cheque for that amount, he is all over the figures and i’d Imagine it’s more likely that we just need to cut costs as championship clubs struggle to make a profit.

Shackell, Bent and Baird leaving is saving £3.4m a year in wages?

Sell Butterfield etc plus the natural turnover of players that the new manager will want and most of that money can be found, even if Vydra left that would surely be for a large amount and some of that would be reinvested.

Keep calm...

38 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

If I remember correctly QPR on play off day were in the red to the tune of £160m or something like that and were facing an FFP bill of approximately £50m originally.

Following an extended period and after much debate it was reduced to £8m (16%)

Lets hope we are afforded the same luxury and are allowed to pay the same 16% of monies claimed to be owed as QPR did.

Yes, £1.6m is still an awful lot of money but a better option to that being touted in the Daily Fail (if true)

Those fines only apply to promoted teams though.  Teams that are stuck in the Championship purgatory get a transfer embargo instead,  This is why I am struggling to understand the Mail claim of a "£10m FFP bill". It makes no sense.

Lets be honest, we all knew that without promotion we could not sustain the continued spending so this was going to happen at some point.

We've tried to go toe to toe with teams with huge parachute payments and it hasn't worked, basic mathematics.

I guess Mel just hoped that we would get promoted a la Bournemouth, Watford, Wolves etc and the problem would have gone away but it just didn't happen.

The good news - It's the end of next season when so many of the mega contracts come to an end

The bad news - our squad will be left decimated

29 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

It's the Mail , they will have picked some half discript story up and are now playing in it. I'd trust @ramblur 100 % more than id trust the daily fail and I've never even met the guy. 

Not really doing us any favours though is it?

3 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Lets be honest, we all knew that without promotion we could not sustain the continued spending so this was going to happen at some point.

We've tried to go toe to toe with teams with huge parachute payments and it hasn't worked, basic mathematics.

I guess Mel just hoped that we would get promoted a la Bournemouth, Watford, Wolves etc and the problem would have gone away but it just didn't happen.

The good news - It's the end of next season when so many of the mega contracts come to an end

Exactly right. Purely from a financial view and with a remit of introducing academy players and just staying in the division the standout option from Mel's viewpoint is Darren Wassall. 

Just now, Carnero said:

Could this just be Rowett's "people" putting stories out there to justify him leaving and to therefore avoid some of the fan backlash?

Or to scare off new managers, lol. Mel has already set them up with this one, its just journos being over the top as usual.

14 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

I'm thinking the bad news is probably how many get renewed before then, though I'm a little more content now Rowett has gone or I could see a lot of renewals happening.

50 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

No but they still cost Mel money. If he no longer wants to pour cash into the club the academy can't continue in its current form.

I have always thought that putting so much into it was a strategic mistake. Young player development is such a  lottery. Most academy scholars don't make it. In reality about 1 in 1,000 make it a Championship level, and they tend to make it whether the academy is level 1 or level 4.

Feeding young players into the first team is also very difficult if you're going for promotion. Clubs at the top of the division tend to be very poor at giving youth a chance because they're all wary that it might cost them a hundred £million.

Far better to keep the academy ticking over and expand it if and when we get promoted.

Absolute rubbish, the academy has paid for itself from the sale of just two players alone. The foundations are now in place for this to produce more and more. 

People really shouldn’t comment on something they know very little about. 

10 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

That £3m a month loss figure just doesn't seem to have any basis in reality & analysis of the accounts

Yeh - That figure seems utter madness as far as I can tell - We don't have any outstanding loan debt do we? Thought the loans on building the ground etc had been paid off now?

So assuming gate receipts (good ones) cover running costs - £3m a month would equate to 30 players being paid £25,000 a week (ish)

Do we REALLY think our average wage is £25k per month? And we made a profit on player sales last season

Archived