£10m FFP Bill

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Can anyone make sense of this claim in the Mail that we are facing a £10m FFP bill?  For what?  Clubs don't get fined unless they are promted, so what are they on about?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5759041/Sky-Sports-plan-reduce-Thierry-Henrys-4m-year-pay-packet.html

---

I may not be recalling the analysis 100% but wasn't ramblur suggesting that we needed to trim operating costs by roughly this amount in 2019-2020 to stay within the ffp limits?

So perhapsit's that and it's been misreported - it is the mail after all! 

I got told a month ago that Mel had discovered that many staff were not pulling their weight at the academy and would cut numbers.

However the real savings are in players wages. Bent will earn more than all the coaching staff put together. 

11 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Can anyone make sense of this claim in the Mail that we are facing a £10m FFP bill?  For what?  Clubs don't get fined unless they are promted, so what are they on about?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5759041/Sky-Sports-plan-reduce-Thierry-Henrys-4m-year-pay-packet.html

---

I think it’s more of if we don’t cut our spending then we will face a fine rather than we are going to be fined.

A lot of contracts are up after next season I believe? So that will probably sort a lot of it out!

Vydra going will also probably cover a chunk of it.

If I remember correctly QPR on play off day were in the red to the tune of £160m or something like that and were facing an FFP bill of approximately £50m originally.

Following an extended period and after much debate it was reduced to £8m (16%)

Lets hope we are afforded the same luxury and are allowed to pay the same 16% of monies claimed to be owed as QPR did.

Yes, £1.6m is still an awful lot of money but a better option to that being touted in the Daily Fail (if true)

2 minutes ago, sage said:

I got told a month ago that Mel had discovered that many staff were not pulling their weight at the academy

Surprised he hasn’t overhauled the academy staff along time ago. He’s pumped millions into the academy and we are producing absolutely naff all. 

Controversial moment, Forests academy is leaps and bounds above ours and they haven’t spent anything near what we have on ours. The set up is there, it’s the staff running it I question 

1 minute ago, Derbados said:

Surprised he hasn’t overhauled the academy staff along time ago. He’s pumped millions into the academy and we are producing absolutely naff all. 

Controversial moment, Forests academy is leaps and bounds above ours and they haven’t spent anything near what we have on ours. The set up is there, it’s the staff running it I question 

Coventrys academy produces lots of top quality players maddison at Norwich and Calum Wilson Bournemouth to name 2.  I know one of the academy coaches and it's run on a shoestring people using there own cars to ferry people about and stuff like that   Something seriously wrong at our academy to produce nothing from the millions ploughed into it. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Academy costs aren't included within FFP though?

No but they still cost Mel money. If he no longer wants to pour cash into the club the academy can't continue in its current form.

I have always thought that putting so much into it was a strategic mistake. Young player development is such a  lottery. Most academy scholars don't make it. In reality about 1 in 1,000 make it a Championship level, and they tend to make it whether the academy is level 1 or level 4.

Feeding young players into the first team is also very difficult if you're going for promotion. Clubs at the top of the division tend to be very poor at giving youth a chance because they're all wary that it might cost them a hundred £million.

Far better to keep the academy ticking over and expand it if and when we get promoted.

2 minutes ago, timmo said:

Coventrys academy produces lots of top quality players maddison at Norwich and Calum Wilson Bournemouth to name 2.  I know one of the academy coaches and it's run on a shoestring people using there own cars to ferry people about and stuff like that   Something seriously wrong at our academy to produce nothing from the millions ploughed into it. 

The academy is producing, but the players have limited exposure to first team football when the need it. Either in the first team or out on loan.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Interesting timing for this Daily Mail 'article'! Does it matter that its mostly made up conjecture? Nope. Actually if it helped scare off Rowett then thanks a million or two! Lol.

A million or 2 they need more than that  

Cloud cuckoo land mate  

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The academy is producing, but the players have limited exposure to first team football when the need it. Either in the first team or out on loan.

I disagree,  if someone was good enough they would be playing. It's a scouting problem as well. 

Archived