Keogh and the culture of failure

Am I the only fan on these boards who thinks one player it's important to move on from at this stage is Richard Keogh?

Not because he's a particularly poor player - he's generally been pretty solid this season and has formed a good partnership with Davies. But I just feel he's synonymous with our underachievement and failure under pressure over recent seasons, and I'd rather see new leaders in the team untainted by the years of disappointment in a Rams shirt.

Thoughts? Too harsh on a wholehearted player who's been a great servant to DCFC?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't mind if we keep or sell but I'd love to see him win promotion here, he deserves it. He's one player who picks himself back up time and time again and performs well for this football club in the main. He's at his level in this division and you're always going to get the odd mistake, it's just amplified more when it's Keogh. 

You could look at this two ways ,most of the other "underachievers " have gone and we are still in the Championship .He's only a part of a team so to lay it at his doorstep might be unfair.

On the other hand for a team that plays defensively and invites pressure he's hardly the ideal don't panic Mr Mainwaring defender .

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Don't mind if we keep or sell but I'd love to see him win promotion here, he deserves it. He's one player who picks himself back up time and time again and performs well for this football club in the main. He's at his level in this division and you're always going to get the odd mistake, it's just amplified more when it's Keogh. 

Agree with this. I'd love him to gain promotion with us after everything but I also do think it would be good for club and player if he moved on. 

Slightly harsh, but what frustrates me with Derby fans is how Keogh is always used as the scape goat. If he makes one mistake, no matter how big or small it gets blown up and spoken about. However, theres a certain someone who has been here a similar amount of time as Keogh - played in THAT play off final, and in my eyes has been a no where near as good as Keogh. That man is Craig Forsyth.

He makes mistake, after mistake and it doesn't get spoken about as much as if Keogh had done it. Yes he had a bad injury, but in my eyes he wasn't all that before that happened, and besides Throne has been dropped because of his performances. Forsyth in my opinion is more of a weak link than Keogh will ever be. He needs moving out the door first

I'd imagine that Gary is looking to move just about every one in the old squad out as soon as he can.

He needs to be aware that there will be no-one to blame other than himself though from then on.(or Mel,if he likes to live dangerously)

Keogh has shown the odd bit of flair occasionally with his escapades into the opposition half so I'd imagine that's the final nail in the coffin for him.

Just now, ram93 said:

He makes mistake, after mistake and it doesn't get spoken about as much as if Keogh had done it.

Christ - you don't stand next to the same guy as me in the South Stand. He can't stand Forsyth and slates him constantly and at length. This only abated briefly as he proclaimed "what a **** cross" in the 1st leg against Fulhm, milliseconds before Jerome powered his header into the top corner

Oh hang on - it's not you is it?

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Christ - you don't stand next to the same guy as me in the South Stand. He can't stand Forsyth and slates him constantly and at length. This only abated briefly as he proclaimed "what a **** cross" in the 1st leg against Fulhm, milliseconds before Jerome powered his header into the top corner

Oh hang on - it's not you is it?

doubt it, i've slated him for his basic mistakes, and actually said to my friend when he crossed that ball 'still doesn't justify his new contract' 

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Am I the only fan on these boards who thinks one player it's important to move on from at this stage is Richard Keogh?

Not because he's a particularly poor player - he's generally been pretty solid this season and has formed a good partnership with Davies. But I just feel he's synonymous with our underachievement and failure under pressure over recent seasons, and I'd rather see new leaders in the team untainted by the years of disappointment in a Rams shirt.

Thoughts? Too harsh on a wholehearted player who's been a great servant to DCFC?

AB6FE4A7-1847-45A2-8DCA-E7B5D53FC0FF.gif

I like fozzy, there was a time when he was he best in the league, but unfortunately, after his contract, I think his powers have very much wained, and it’s time for him to either move on to another team, or into the bench. I think we can find better, possibly within our own ranks even. 

But I would be very sad to see Keogh go. I’m sad that most of the class of 14/15 won’t see promotion with us. And I don’t really count wisdom, as he left and came back, and I hardly count Thorne as he was only on loan at the time, and has been pretty much injured ever since. 

So there’s only really fozzy and Keogh left of that side. 

I’d love to see us win promotion while Keogh is still at the club, and as long as he wants to stay, I say we keep him. 

And not only for sentimental values, he’s a bloody good defender, and has done particularly well this season. 

Id be sad to see Keogh go and so wouldn’t actively look to sell but if someone offered a decent sum for him and a decent replacement was identified then I wouldn’t mind. He’s too good to have never played in the premier league at all and we’re not that close to getting there. 

Keogh gives his all for Derby every time he plays. He makes mistakes, and tries to take on too much responsibility sometimes, but he wants what is best for this club.

If we had a team of 11 players who put as much effort into their performances as him we would be thrilled.

If he leaves I hope it's his decision, has been a fantastic servant for Derby County and deserved promotion.

He did make a mistake in the playoffs, but he shouldn't go. He's still one of the top centre halves in this league, didn't get get something like 4 assists this season? That's better than most our wingers! I'll be really sad if Keogh leaves Derby before getting promoted with us. I feel like for him, he would want that to once and for all dispel the ghost of Wembley.

Archived