Keogh and the culture of failure

2 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Am I the only fan on these boards who thinks one player it's important to move on from at this stage is Richard Keogh?

Not because he's a particularly poor player - he's generally been pretty solid this season and has formed a good partnership with Davies. But I just feel he's synonymous with our underachievement and failure under pressure over recent seasons, and I'd rather see new leaders in the team untainted by the years of disappointment in a Rams shirt.

Thoughts? Too harsh on a wholehearted player who's been a great servant to DCFC?

Is it Keogh's fault? Or maybe we can blame Ince.....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why some people put Keogh in the spotlight a little, particularly given that he’s prone to the occasional wobble (though he’s not alone in this). 

I’ve always liked how, on top of his defending ability, how good he was at running out of defence with the ball, often taking players on better than some of our midfield would; sadly in more advanced positions there’s rarely a killer ball at the end of it but he at least drove us forwards.

I like him as a player; but I wouldn’t be too saddened if he was to move on. 4 years ago we (somewhat unexpectedly) put ourselves in a great position: a good, young, skilful team who worked for each other, a manager who had turned us into something exciting and who made us believe we could win from any situation, and more so we had the neutrals singing our praises on the style and the way the club is run. Following a near miss in the playoffs We’ve spent 4 years trying to capitalise on that, but have made some mistakes along the way and have found ourselves almost back to square one again.

With that, perhaps now’s the time to freshen up by removing remnants of that team; not in the interests of blame but more in the spirit of forging a new start.

Sith Happens

Sure get rid, let's hope Mel has  6 million in his pocket to replace him cause that's what it will cost.

Good grief...he's one of the best CHs in the Championship and is a better player for having lost in the playoffs 3 times and is the kind of player we need to keep to blend some youth alongside. Do you think international centre halves grow on trees {might I add} "FFS!"??

And whilst we are at it there is not a culture of failure at Derby County; there may be a culture of failure at Sunderland... but there is a culture of excellence at Derby County.

We are very close to being a Prem Club...we were not quite there this year. We lost to a very good Fulham side by a goal in the aggregated legs of the play-offs...so lets stick to evidence and facts please and be "evidence based".

The sides who go up, go up because they have a sufficient amount of skill, enduarnce, squad depth. luck and support. GR will have learned a fair bit this year.... let's hope the Club sorts out recruitment because that is probably the one area that has screwed up consistently, although there isn't just ever one factor.

But lay off Keogh, once and for effing all. He's been part of a very solid defence for 4-5 seasons now. ?

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Sure get rid, let's hope Mel has  6 million in his pocket to replace him cause that's what it will cost.

Not necessarily?

I’d like to think there’s a plucky young defender somewhere out there who can learn more playing alongside Davies and can be picked up for a comparitive snip.

Expecting to spend £6m on a new defender because that’s what we feel we need to spend is a part of the reason we’ve ended up in this state.

Not been his biggest fan in recent seasons, but he's been quality the vast major of this.

I would move him on if someone offered anything over 2 for him mind, he's been here a season or two too long and a Premier move at his age is what he needs. He'll always be known for the Wembley game, until we get promotion and we look no closer to it.

Sell him and give him his dream of Premiership football

Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, Ramathorn said:

Not necessarily?

I’d like to think there’s a plucky young defender somewhere out there who can learn more playing alongside Davies and can be picked up for a comparitive snip.

Expecting to spend £6m on a new defender because that’s what we feel we need to spend is a part of the reason we’ve ended up in this state.

It was tongue in cheek, he's a really good defender who would cost either a lot to replace,  or as you say pick up a lower league bargain. 

We haven't had much success with that since clough left though. 

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Did you see the Fulham Twitter post - fan asked him for an autograph after he got off the bus and he said can you sign it Zamora ?

I'm sure he will tell that tale lots of times, some people might find it funny but most will probably just think dick.

Doubt Keogh will be moved on as Rowett has given him a new contract recently but he is an asset we could get good money for despite his age. He’s still one of the best ball playing centre halves in the championship. It also means we have to spend money we don’t have to replace where other areas of the team need more attention.

People forget that at Wembley, Forsyth switched off at the throw in, Bucko missed a tackle he should’ve made on holiett before it even got to Keogh! 

He’s been excellent for Derby. However there have been times where under pressure especially when captain that he loses the plot. He lost his place in the side correctly after a run of games where he made mistakes that led to goals being scored, the worst one  not being his bad pass against Sunderland (he makes 99% of those and often sets up attacks) but against Sessegnon at PP where he was chasing after the ball like a schoolboy forgetting his positioning compounded by slipping over - criminal for a defender of his undoubted quality. 

Since his return to the side he’s been outstanding until he let his man go for the first goal on Monday (ironically Sessegnon again!), but he was excellent over the two games and that wasn’t the reason we lost. He can be forgiven that.

If he moved on, then would be grateful for what he’s done for the club and could understand. If he lines up next season I’d be happy, just not as captain. 

4 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Am I the only fan on these boards who thinks one player it's important to move on from at this stage is Richard Keogh?

Not because he's a particularly poor player - he's generally been pretty solid this season and has formed a good partnership with Davies. But I just feel he's synonymous with our underachievement and failure under pressure over recent seasons, and I'd rather see new leaders in the team untainted by the years of disappointment in a Rams shirt.

Thoughts? Too harsh on a wholehearted player who's been a great servant to DCFC?

I understand where you are coming from and I do tend to feel that Keogh wont be promoted with Derby, for whatever reason. I don't think he would have trouble finding another club. Very committed player. 

Archived