Strength of the Championship next season

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Next season will be the same as every season in the Championship. Fun but hard. 

I'd expect to see the table looking by and large not unlike this season.

Forest and Leeds will both have won it by September. Boro will bore themselves into the top 6. West Brom will always be there and thereabouts.

Birmingham and Sheff Weds I'd expect to have better seasons. The rest are much of a muchness. 

Of the relegated sides, you'd expect Cardiff to be challenging. Not sure about the other two yet.

Of the promoted sides, you'd expect Luton to be ok but mid table, Barnsley and Charlton to not really affect the league.

It will, as always, be a good league.

I just hope we can keep the late season momentum going.

Wouldn’t be so quick to say that about Barnsley. They have money now and are investing. I predict them to finish the highest of the three promoted sides.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

I wasn't waiting to be honest, completely forgot.

Then, because of another thread i was looking back at my reaction to when Lampard arrived. Suddenly came across this.

Is that ok?

of course it's ok! Why wouldn't it be?

On 17/05/2018 at 11:48, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think Boro will be very strong, I actually had them tipped to win the league this season. I also think top to bottom the league will be tougher, there are teams that will improve (Birmingham, Forest, Leeds, Norwich) to make the top six a real scrap, I could realistically see teams down to about 12th within touching distance come the end of the season.

My super early tip is that Ipswich either get relegated or come very close. As bored as they are with Mick he has held them together with no money, if they get his replacement wrong they could drop like a stone.

Apart from the Boro bit I haven't shown myself up there!

Looking forward,

I think El Loco will combust at Leeds and they'll get another heartbreak.

Colin will be competitive but no cigar

Fulham will take over the WBA role of attractive but lacking a killer instinct

Huddersfield will be OK but no more than that.

Boro will slip back.

Forest will have a good season.

But not as good as Derby's

one of PNE or Blackburn to be the unfancied team that storms it.

My top six for next season:
1.    West Brom
2.    Cardiff
3.    Fulham 
4.    Leeds
5.    Boro 
6.    Derby 

Charlton, Millwall and Reading to go down. 

15 minutes ago, MK said:

My top six for next season:
1.    West Brom
2.    Cardiff
3.    Fulham 
4.    Leeds
5.    Boro 
6.    Derby 

Charlton, Millwall and Reading to go down. 

Bit early to be going all in on top 6 predictions before any clubs have made signings or sold players? 

15 minutes ago, David said:

Bit early to be going all in on top 6 predictions before any clubs have made signings or sold players? 

Very true. Just getting carried away 

Huddersfield 16/17, Cardiff 17/18 and Norwich 18/19. Not one of those were fancied at the start of the season, but all go under the radar and did there business early in the summer. Hopefully for us this summer the manager (Frank hopefully ?) won’t have all the baggage and stress of shipping out so much this summer. 

A few good young hungry loan signings and a permanent here and there where we don’t fill in with loans and we won’t be far off....   hopefully. 

Get in 3 class loans again, promote some youngsters from U23s buy a good young centrehalf and keeper. Then we could be one of the strong sides in the Championship. But I do think other teams will strengthen, so its who settles in quickly and keeps going through the season like Norwich did

Sheffield Wednesday and Brentford will do well. Reading will also have a better season, they have one bad season then a good one. Fulham will storm the league, they still have most of the playoff winning squad to choose from.

10 hours ago, lukedcfc said:

Sheffield Wednesday and Brentford will do well. Reading will also have a better season, they have one bad season then a good one. Fulham will storm the league, they still have most of the playoff winning squad to choose from.

But not the same manager, and I think that’ll be an issue for them. That’s why I think Cardiff will be the main threat of the relegated sides next year. It pays to keep hold of the manager that gained you promotion in the first place. Just hope he’s gone a season too far. 

Shame leeds have kept bielsa. I had them to drop into mid table obscurity without him, but they’ll be up there again especially now he’ll have more chance to work on their fitness and recruit more for his system. 

West Brom won’t do as well. I think they’re going to settle in for long stay in this league now. 

Boro are ducked with their parachute payments running out. They’ll get a new manager that needs time to rebuild away from the Pulis mentality and they’ll settle for mid table next season. Maybe worrying the top 8. 

Bristol will kick on and be safely top 6, but not worrying the too 2. 

I think Swansea found their mojo towards the end of the season and they’ll carry on. They’ll be among the strongest. 

Wednesday will push on (we always say this, but I think Bruce was finding his mojo towards the end of the season). 

Forest wont pull up any trees. 

Not sure about stoke, maybe lower play offs. If the lower threshold is 46 points for 46 0-0 draws. 

Preston don’t register in the slightest on my radar, who the hell knows.

i think Brentford will kick on. Having said that, Smith has proven himself to be a very good manager and was the reason they were doing as well as they were, so maybe they reached a limit.

Thats most of the top half accounted for I think. The rest are also rans.

None of the promoted clubs are going for back to back promotions. 

In summary:

top 2 will be between us, Cardiff, Swansea and Leeds (some tasty rivalries there). 

The rest of the top 6 will be Bristol, Wednesday, maybe Fulham, maybe stoke, maybe Brentford. 

36 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

But not the same manager, and I think that’ll be an issue for them. That’s why I think Cardiff will be the main threat of the relegated sides next year. It pays to keep hold of the manager that gained you promotion in the first place. Just hope he’s gone a season too far. 

Shame leeds have kept bielsa. I had them to drop into mid table obscurity without him, but they’ll be up there again especially now he’ll have more chance to work on their fitness and recruit more for his system. 

West Brom won’t do as well. I think they’re going to settle in for long stay in this league now. 

Boro are ducked with their parachute payments running out. They’ll get a new manager that needs time to rebuild away from the Pulis mentality and they’ll settle for mid table next season. Maybe worrying the top 8. 

Bristol will kick on and be safely top 6, but not worrying the too 2. Not sure they'll be safely in the top six. I don't know whether Lee Johnson has it in him to take them over the line.

I think Swansea found their mojo towards the end of the season and they’ll carry on. They’ll be among the strongest. Not without Graham Potter. He was the reason they found their mojo. It depends on who they bring in.

Wednesday will push on (we always say this, but I think Bruce was finding his mojo towards the end of the season). 

Forest wont pull up any trees. 

Not sure about stoke, maybe lower play offs. If the lower threshold is 46 points for 46 0-0 draws. Their manager is highly rated and I think they might do alright.

Preston don’t register in the slightest on my radar, who the hell knows. They have a good  manager and were hamstrung by their terrible start last season. They should do better this year.

i think Brentford will kick on. Having said that, Smith has proven himself to be a very good manager and was the reason they were doing as well as they were, so maybe they reached a limit. Not at all. The head coach at Brentford is just one cog in a very well-oiled machine. Thomas Frank got them playing some great stuff at the end of last season. That being said, I can see them doing a typical Brentford: selling their best players, picking up some more bargains, playing good football but ultimately falling short.

Thats most of the top half accounted for I think. The rest are also rans.

None of the promoted clubs are going for back to back promotions. 

In summary:

top 2 will be between us, Cardiff, Swansea and Leeds (some tasty rivalries there). 

The rest of the top 6 will be Bristol, Wednesday, maybe Fulham, maybe stoke, maybe Brentford. 

I have no real idea who will be strong until teams buy, sell and loan their way into the new season 

but I expect Sheffield Wednesday to return to a good side based on actually having a manager and unfortunately you can’t discount Warnock at Cardiff - will stoke actually try and play football? And the red dogs will remain a mystery even after they sack one or two managers if they make it to the top 4 - I suppose leeds will win the league by September like every other year.

who will be the relegated mess of a club - maybe just maybe it will be Fulham 

whoever signs Vydra will be in the top 6 and it will annoy the living daylights out of us 

12 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Fair one. I forgot potter had left. I’d come up with those ideas before he left. That’s buggered Swansea right up. I really thought they were going to be one to watch. 

I had tipped them to be this season’s Huddersfield (the season Huddersfield got promoted), as there are a lot of parallels between them. I had tipped Huddersfield for the play offs that year but would have immediately cancelled it if Wagner had gone. It’s the same now Potter has gone for me.

On the face of it, this lineup doesn't look as bad. Huddersfield, Cardiff and a Fulham side led by Parker don't worry me too much.

However, based on the final parts of last season, I'd expect Reading and Sheffield Wednesday to be right up there this season. Possibly Hull City, too.

Archived