Strength of the Championship next season

Rather early to start looking at next season ahead of the summer's transfer dealings I know, but any thoughts on how tough the Championship will be next season?

I think Boro and Villa (if they lose the play off final) will both be very strong: they have good, experienced managers at this level and high quality squads they will probably improve further over the summer. I do wonder that if Fulham don't go up, they might lose key players like Sessegnon, Cairney and Mitrovic and thus won't be quite such a threat.

Of the relegated clubs, to be honest they all look in a bit of a mess. I actually think of the three West Brom could be best equipped to bounce back, especially if they appoint Darren Moore, just because they ended this season really positively after looking dead and buried a few weeks earlier. But all three will probably lose many of their better players and will need time to adjust to the Championship.

Elsewhere, I really don't see anyone poised to be a strong contender right now, although there will likely be another Cardiff-style dark horse who have a great season. I also think Leeds will get it right eventually; they're too big a club not to.

But overall, if we are shrewd in our squad management over the summer, we should be in the mix again.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football is awful outside of the top six, everybody bar Bournemouth, Fulham, Brentford and Wolves are crap.

West Brom may be rejuvinated and some of their better players may even stay after their late run. I can see Blackburn being decent. 

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Football is awful outside of the top six, everybody bar Bournemouth, Fulham, Brentford and Wolves are crap.

West Brom may be rejuvinated and some of their better players may even stay after their late run. I can see Blackburn being decent. 

Eh?

I think Boro will be very strong, I actually had them tipped to win the league this season. I also think top to bottom the league will be tougher, there are teams that will improve (Birmingham, Forest, Leeds, Norwich) to make the top six a real scrap, I could realistically see teams down to about 12th within touching distance come the end of the season.

My super early tip is that Ipswich either get relegated or come very close. As bored as they are with Mick he has held them together with no money, if they get his replacement wrong they could drop like a stone.

Villa and Fulham are interesting - Fulham could lose lots of players and struggle to replace them. I have a feeling Villa may start to struggle to recruit having spent so much, so whoever stays down may not be quite as impressive.

Of the relegated clubs, you never know until the season starts how they are looking, whilst Wigan and Blackburn will be no pushovers.

Preston/Millwall/Norwich/Brentford expected to compete again, then a few unknowns like Leeds/Forest/Sheff Wed/Sheff Utd.

Definitely no standout sides yet but will probably all change by August.

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Rather early to start looking at next season ahead of the summer's transfer dealings I know, but any thoughts on how tough the Championship will be next season?

I think Boro and Villa (if they lose the play off final) will both be very strong: they have good, experienced managers at this level and high quality squads they will probably improve further over the summer. I do wonder that if Fulham don't go up, they might lose key players like Sessegnon, Cairney and Mitrovic and thus won't be quite such a threat.

Of the relegated clubs, to be honest they all look in a bit of a mess. I actually think of the three West Brom could be best equipped to bounce back, especially if they appoint Darren Moore, just because they ended this season really positively after looking dead and buried a few weeks earlier. But all three will probably lose many of their better players and will need time to adjust to the Championship.

Elsewhere, I really don't see anyone poised to be a strong contender right now, although there will likely be another Cardiff-style dark horse who have a great season. I also think Leeds will get it right eventually; they're too big a club not to.

But overall, if we are shrewd in our squad management over the summer, we should be in the mix again.

So what makes you think that Villa and Boro won't lose their tops players to the clubs at the bottom/middle of the Prem or further afield just like Fulham if they don't go up?

Everyone around Derby is speculating whether our best players will go. So what is different with them?

9 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

So Brentford are better than Palace, or Watford, or Brighton? Odd.

I’d expect Brentford to be the protagonists of the game, they’re a tweak away from getting the results their performances deserve 

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

I’d expect Brentford to be the protagonists of the game, they’re a tweak away from getting the results their performances deserve 

I have no idea what you mean. Brentford have consistently shown themselves to be a slightly better than average Championship team. I can't see what you're getting at.

9 minutes ago, cannable said:

They might be pleasing on the eye at times but there not that good are they really ? 

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

i was with you mate right up until you said Leeds will get it right eventually , that club as a whole will never be right

I think Villa/Fulham/Boro will be the contenders for autos next year depending on which stay down. I also think Shef Wed, West Brom and Bristol will be strong and as much as I hate to say it I secretly think Forest will also do well (although a good season for them is just avoiding relegation back to their natural level in League 1). QPR could either do really well or they could get relegated - depends which McClaren side turns up.

1. Villa/Fulham

2. Boro

3. West Brom

4. Shef Wed

5. Bristol City

6. Millwall

7. Wigan

8. Birmingham City

9. QPR

10. Reading

11. Derby County

12. Forest