Strength of the Championship next season

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

When the likes of Preston, Brentford and Millwall are pushing for top 6, you surely have to admit the standard is pretty poor.

I wouldn't be surprised at top 6 again, with or without Vydra.

You need to improve just to maintain your position in the championship. On that basis I would be surprised if we are in the top six. I expect somewhere around mid table and any forage into the play off places would be a welcome bonus. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, GenBr said:

8. Birmingham City

I've got a mate who is a Bluenose, seems that the club is a total mess. I fully expect them to do what they've done for the last few years: ***** all season and save their skins on the final day. 

to be honest, this year  - its been poor   - Boro crept into the play- offs 5th. And they were quite poor.

we rallied and made it and Villa were quite up an down in the run in.

the ones underneath were quite bang average to be honest - Blades, Millwall, Brentford, Preston - hardly fearful of them

out of the three coming down  - I think WBA will be the best team and one of Villa / Fulham will miss out - and will be strong. 

surprises - well Rams surprise us. Keep the experience and get some young guns on......get it blended into a good side. if you come mid table  - so be it. The season after will be better.

only an opinion.

We have one more season of serious book balancing to do so I realistically expect us to finish mid table after all the outgoings and few incomings are sorted.

We will (we all hope) be blooding our youth players but this will take time to get them up to speed. 

Next summer will be where we have more flexibility with both transfers and wages. And a real rebuild can take place. 

As much as I hate to say it I can see Forest finishing above us as they are further along with their rebuild. 

14 hours ago, europia said:

You need to improve just to maintain your position in the championship. On that basis I would be surprised if we are in the top six. I expect somewhere around mid table and any forage into the play off places would be a welcome bonus. 

I think with Jerome, Ledley and Lawrence getting a full pre season with us will improve us on its own, and GR having two formations to call upon, since the game where we lost to sunderland. 

Im optimistic if we sell Vydra and use that money wisely, we can finish top 6 if not top 2

I think Mac and Clement will be able to turn qpr and reading into play off chasing teams. Wednesday, Fulham/Villa, Boro,  Derby,  WBA will be up there. A lot obviously depends on transfer business, nobody would have predicted wolves as title favorites this time last year. 

1. Boro

2. Wednesday

3. WBA

4. Nowich

5. QPR   

6. Derby 

7. Fulham (assuming villa go up) 

8. Reading

9. Swansea 

10. Wigan

Boro will be strong with a full season of pullis, Villa will need to recruit as like us they have an ageing squad, Fulham will be fine with there mega rich owner

WBA, boing boing, Stoke depends on there manager same with Swansea 

like others have said, Leeds, forest, wendsday will be better and Preston will be there, Blackburn have the momentum 

us, it depends on if we get a decent fee for vyds and spend it wisely

• 1 year later...

Funny how many people predicted Norwich, especially before they watched their assets strip and sign journeymen from the foreign leagues. Ironically, a few of those journeymen turned out to be alright. In fact, both the top two this season seem to have made profits on transfers and still improved enough to get automatic promotion.

Does anyone know if there was a thread later in the summer with a more involved foray into predicting the top 6 / bottom 3? I feel like there was but I can't find it.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Does anyone know if there was a thread later in the summer with a more involved foray into predicting the top 6 / bottom 3? I feel like there was but I can't find it.

Cheers @David

I've fully disappointed myself though. 

On 08/08/2018 at 09:15, SaintRam said:

I'll make my predictions in April

Where's the fun in that, past SaintRam?! ducking imbecile. 

Looks like the only team folks predicted to be in and around the top that weren't was Stoke. Everyone else mentioned was top 10.

I do enjoy that Bris' aggressive "you're all wrong" opinions were the most wrong, across the board. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

On 18/05/2018 at 12:54, StevoRam said:

I think Mac and Clement will be able to turn qpr and reading into play off chasing teams. 

Interesting...

45 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Well here we are and i'm just about alive!

So how do you feel about NEXT season then? We can stretch this out another year!

Next season will be the same as every season in the Championship. Fun but hard. 

I'd expect to see the table looking by and large not unlike this season.

Forest and Leeds will both have won it by September. Boro will bore themselves into the top 6. West Brom will always be there and thereabouts.

Birmingham and Sheff Weds I'd expect to have better seasons. The rest are much of a muchness. 

Of the relegated sides, you'd expect Cardiff to be challenging. Not sure about the other two yet.

Of the promoted sides, you'd expect Luton to be ok but mid table, Barnsley and Charlton to not really affect the league.

It will, as always, be a good league.

I just hope we can keep the late season momentum going.

33 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Cheers @David

I've fully disappointed myself though. 

Where's the fun in that, past SaintRam?! ducking imbecile. 

Looks like the only team folks predicted to be in and around the top that weren't was Stoke. Everyone else mentioned was top 10.

I do enjoy that Bris' aggressive "you're all wrong" opinions were the most wrong, across the board. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

No one taking it seriously did worse than Bris (he only guessed 1 of the top 6).

1 hour ago, Sweetness34 said:

Was it worth the wait?

I wasn't waiting to be honest, completely forgot.

Then, because of another thread i was looking back at my reaction to when Lampard arrived. Suddenly came across this.

Is that ok?

Archived