Has he?

53 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

No more defensive hoofball managers please

I want someone who embraces the talented,flair players,who utilises them to play the ball on the floor,who gets the crowd out of their seats and excited by our style of play....I want to go home from a match proud of our team win or lose.

So,no Mick mcarthy or anyone else like him again,thankyou very much.

Which flair players did you have in mind ? Our wingers Olsson and Wisdom perhaps ? Or the selection of energetic midfield players ? Our young impressionable front players ? Or is it the mardarse twins taffand his czech mate ?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I seriously can't believe this post. I'm genuinely baffled. Do our fans never learn? Let's sign Nigel Pearson, he got Leicester up, experienced, safe manager! Atrocious. 

Redknapp, he'll help us get promoted, we won't bottle it with him advising us. Thrashed 3-0 at home by Hull.

No other manager in the world will get us promoted? Not one? Are you joking? Of course there are managers out there that could. It's naieve to think otherwise. Every year, one manager comes from abroad and lights to league up. We just need to show some ambition. Nuno and Wagner have done well for themselves. But let's just recycle the same old dross over and over and over.

Our defense WAS sorted out so many times. This is such a huge myth. Earlier in the season, hadn't we conceded the least goals in the league? Under Mac, didn't we go like 7 games in a row with only clean sheets? You're over simplifying football. You can't just sign 2 hoofball tall heading centre halves and go ''the defense is sorted'' you have to defend as a team, and that's about coaching and intent more than anything. 

Pearson was never a safe choice. Only an idiot would think it were. Redknapp achieves nothing without spending millions upon millions. Again, only an idiot would think that a safe choice.

Neither is McCarthy a safe choice. However a consistent/proven track record of success at similar clubs is a much better indicator than yet another "let's take a punt" - talk about fans never learning - yes, let's try another local connection like Nigel. Let's try an unknown like Clement. Lets promote from within and give DazWaz another go. Let's take a gamble on an up and coming young Manager like Rowett. Let's try a foreign Manager because we haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet. Someone like Nuno is a great idea - presumably we have the super agent and bundles of £££ lined up to support such a Manager? Under no circumstances should we take a sensible approach and look at someone who might actually be able to get us up. Instead let's pander to those that subscribe to a ridiculous notion that not only should we go up, but we can only go up 'the right way' - utterly ridiculous.

And I question anyone who seriously thinks that this defence has been sorted out. Not conceding goals doesn't automatically equate to a good defence, otherwise the defence containing Mo Camara is one of the best the club's ever had. We were fortunate earlier in the season that the other teams weren't able to expose them as easily as its now become. Bad defences don't become great, and great defences don't become sh**e. We were also overly reliant on Carson earlier in the season - how many wonder saves did he have to make? Of course a good defence is down to coaching and ability. I think we're lacking in both areas.

Oh well, at least we agree that Rowett is ****.

Would sacking a manager now in order to get a “new manager bounce” in time for the playoffs be the single most batshit crazy decision ever made?

Desperate and clueless at best. Regardless of his reputation, I just can’t see crazy Uncle Mel rolling the dice and taking such measures. 

Just now, cosmic said:

Would sacking a manager now in order to get a “new manager bounce” in time for the playoffs be the single most batshit crazy decision ever made?

Desperate and clueless at best. Regardless of his reputation, I just can’t see crazy Uncle Mel rolling the dice and taking such measures. 

Agree - just let the season play out now. Bring someone in now, and we still don't go up, and suddenly it'll be the new Manager's fault, and he'll be up against it at the start of the new season already. 

Gary's been given enough rope, let him hang himself with it now.

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

And I question anyone who seriously thinks that this defence has been sorted out. Not conceding goals doesn't automatically equate to a good defence

??????????

How do you define a good defense then? It isn't one with the most clean sheets, then what? The ones who make the most sliding tackles? The ones with the dirtiest kit so they look like they did the most? Or what? How else do you judge a defense? I'm gonna say something that people may not agree with here, I don't think Carson has been making wonder saves. I think Carson has been making saves I'd expect a lot of goalkeepers to make, and I think his impact is overstated. I think he's just been doing his job.

3 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Under no circumstances should we take a sensible approach

So basically, what you're saying is your idea of the best approach is the only sensible one and I'm ridiculous for saying I think we should try a foreign coach for once? Or it's certainly implied. 

4 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

that not only should we go up, but we can only go up 'the right way' - utterly ridiculous.

Look at the recent sides that were promoted. The sides that play football stay up longer. Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, Newcastle, Swansea. The hoofball sides tend to come down after one year. If we want long term success, the way you're promoted is important.

2 minutes ago, cosmic said:

its too late rowett should of tried something weeks ago and the new manager might get a few points on the table but i really wouldnt want promotion i would be happy to make the playoffs for a bit more £££ but we are not good enough for prem 

29 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The Derby Way phrase was coined by McClaren at a forum event at PP, and wasn't about a playing style. Our club was to be a beacon of righteousness. Our players shouldn't swear or dive. We would pay our bills on time and try to look after the community. We wouldn't tap players up and we'd put lots of effort into the development of young players, whether PL loanees or home grown. Derby County were going to do things in the right way...which in retrospect was slightly amusing as McClaren started schmoozing with Newcastle shortly afterwards and the guy sitting next to him grinning smugly was apparently feathering his own nest at Mel's expense.

My mistake thought it came from Mel....all of those things I agree with and we should be doing without a doubt

Find it strange that this thread hasn’t been locked..... seeing as transfer threads get locked up pretty sharpish based on rumour.... 

37 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't plan on going. 

How does it remain to be seen how good Fulham is? They're so much better than Cardiff. They play much better football, and recently have been getting much better results. They deserve promotion for having a young, forward thinking squad. Exactly the model I want Derby to follow. It would make my year if we managed to steal Jokanovic from fulham (not gonna happen). 

All I want is to be able to support my club again. And with Rowett or another shithouse manager in charge, I don't think that is easy for me.

I did not say how good I said successful and to answer that you have to decide upon your definition of successful.If playing good football and not getting promotion is your definition then yes it is success,if they fail would it be considered a failure.

18 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

Which flair players did you have in mind ? Our wingers Olsson and Wisdom perhaps ? Or the selection of energetic midfield players ? Our young impressionable front players ? Or is it the mardarse twins taffand his czech mate ?

Pretty much none of the above,I was more thinking of ince, Hughes,Martin,bryson and Russell.

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Find it strange that this thread hasn’t been locked..... seeing as transfer threads get locked up pretty sharpish based on rumour.... 

Come on, if every thread on this forum was locked because of people spouting rubbish or claiming unsubstantiated opinions as fact then it would be a very quiet place :lol:

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I disagree. I'm going to cite a recent example of Huddersfield. If they did the best job they could do, Ipswich has equal resources to Huddersfield, or did before last year, and yet Huddersfield are now in the Premier League and Ipswich has been languishing in mid table for quite some time now. Could it be that, fresh new ideas are the way forward instead of the tired old method? Shock. I don't care how much they know or what fund they previously operated with, we should look for more than those three. I want a squad and team to actually be proud of, not promotion by any means by smashing the ball long. 

So you're effectively insinuating you can only attack if you have money? Derby 13/14, how much was that squad assembled for? 

Not at all suggesting it’s only possible to attack if you have money, it’s just cheaper to defend obviously.  If you think Warnock can’t play attacking  football, turn up or watch the telly on Tuesday, if it’s not past your bedtime. Cardiff will tear us apart up front and I doubt we will get more than a couple of shots all game. He’s just better at managing, full stop. Huddersfield did play good football on the cheap, again appointing a great manager who knew how to get cheap but gifted players on a shoestring. A great knowledge of the continental leagues, paired with the ability to use talent got them up. He played Palmer in a free role to rip defences apart, whilst Gary puts him on the bench. You really should stop digging, how big do you want this hole!!!

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

??????????

How do you define a good defense then? It isn't one with the most clean sheets, then what? The ones who make the most sliding tackles? The ones with the dirtiest kit so they look like they did the most? Or what? How else do you judge a defense? I'm gonna say something that people may not agree with here, I don't think Carson has been making wonder saves. I think Carson has been making saves I'd expect a lot of goalkeepers to make, and I think his impact is overstated. I think he's just been doing his job.

So basically, what you're saying is your idea of the best approach is the only sensible one and I'm ridiculous for saying I think we should try a foreign coach for once? Or it's certainly implied. 

Look at the recent sides that were promoted. The sides that play football stay up longer. Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, Newcastle, Swansea. The hoofball sides tend to come down after one year. If we want long term success, the way you're promoted is important.

No, the best defence is the one that can resist attacks when it's under pressure. Not the one which coasts by either facing very little pressure or relying on a top class goalkeeper behind them.

Trying a foreign Manager isn't ridiculous per se, no, however, I personally, would prefer to go with a Manager that has proven capable, on multiple occasions, to conquer this league. A foreign Manager introduces inherent risks in itself, from language barriers to not understanding the league, or just not understanding English football full stop. I'm not saying that that's an automatic bad idea, but there's certainly more of a risk to that strategy. 

Again, I'm afraid that I don't subscribe to McCarthy being a hoofball merchant. Certainly he has played that way when he's needed to, but I think to apply a one-dimensional label like that to him is to do him a distinct disservice. 

1 minute ago, Doodle said:

if it’s not past your bedtime.

Ah. The classic. Turn to personal remarks, classy. 

2 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Not at all suggesting it’s only possible to attack if you have money, it’s just cheaper to defend obviously. 

Why is that obvious? If you're talking about signing well known players, sure. If you look abroad, you can find cheap, good attackers that can supplement what we already have. Our defense isn't even that bad, it just needs new fullbacks. Defending isn't really the main problem for us to fix, midfield and attack is our main issue. 

4 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Huddersfield did play good football on the cheap, again appointing a great manager who knew how to get cheap but gifted players on a shoestring. A great knowledge of the continental leagues, paired with the ability to use talent got them up.

Yes, because they took a chance on a manager. They appointed an unknown quantity and took a risk, and it paid off. That is exactly what I'm implying Derby should do.

4 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

No, the best defence is the one that can resist attacks when it's under pressure. Not the one which coasts by either facing very little pressure or relying on a top class goalkeeper behind them.

In the words of Paolo Maldini ''if I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake''. I think the best defence is one that faces very little pressure, because they cut it out early. It doesn't get to them. For me, that is the best defense. 

5 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

A foreign Manager introduces inherent risks in itself, from language barriers to not understanding the league, or just not understanding English football full stop. I'm not saying that that's an automatic bad idea, but there's certainly more of a risk to that strategy. 

Agreed, it certainly does. I do think though, that in a lot of recent cases it has been worth the risk. Looking at the Pocchetinos, Ranieris, Wagners, Nuno's of recent times, and they have certainly achieved what they set out to do, but there is more risk associated I accept. But any new manager has risk involved.

Archived