Has he?

5 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I can’t believe it is true, but a new manager bounce could get us in the play offs I suppose. 2 wins or 1 win 1 draw could see us scrape in. The only thing would be who would replace him. The only realistic options are Mick McCarthy or Darren Wassall. MM would be able to arrive tomorrow morning. If he does, I will go Tuesday and Saturday, if as I suspect no change occurs, I’m staying away. He will be sacked by half way through next season though. Arsene lost his job at Arsenal due to empty seats. Much more of this dross and our gates will drop to the low end of 20 k and Gary will bite the dust

McCarthy's record at clubs similar to ours (Wolves, Sunderland) is very good - he took them both up to the PL. 

Vastly experienced in the Championship. Capable of managing in the PL. International experience.

We should be so lucky.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

I think it’s a clueless reaction to a problem we should all have seen all season, even in 2nd spot.

we were never good enough, we were always hampered by financial restraints of other managers wasted buys. To sack him would be madness. You say he was doing his job so you were happy then, did you not think we were over achieving?, or did you get just carried away by a false league position?. 

Rubbish, you don’t get a false league position after more than half a season has been played, we were 2 nd because we were the 2 nd best team at that point in time. By January however, you can strengthen the areas of your squad that are weak and also have a good idea of other teams strengths, and how to counter them. The reason Derby are dropping like a stone is our failure to do the above. We weakened our squad, failed to address our problem areas and have stubbornly stuck to one game plan, regardless of opponent or location, until the panic button was hit yesterday. 

7 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

McCarthy's record at clubs similar to ours (Wolves, Sunderland) is very good - he took them both up to the PL. 

Vastly experienced in the Championship. Capable of managing in the PL. International experience.

We should be so lucky.

I would be delighted, give him a 14 month contract with extension clauses. A very under rated manager at this level. Not pretty, but pretty effective 

It's the same problem that Mac had - come up with a great plan A - works for half a season, until the other sides figure out how to neuter it. Then you find out you have no plan B.

Definitely agree about not strengthening in January - the writing was on the wall when we came out of that window weaker than we went into it. Insane.

Paragraph one, combined with paragraph two = oh sh**

28 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

We should be so lucky.

Why would we be so anti-Rowett, because of Rowett ball, to then appoint an even more defensive-minded manager?

1 minute ago, KCG said:

Why would we be so anti-Rowett, because of Rowett ball, to then appoint an even more defensive-minded manager?

Two points I guess:

1. Neither Wolves or Sunderland, when he got them both promoted, were overly defensive. 

2. Being defensive is a valid option, IF you have a solid defensive unit.

Although I've often laughed at people calling for him to be appointed because his record in management isn't very good, if we're looking for someone for the last six games of this season then Igor Stimac has to be the man.

He's about the only character big enough to walk into the building :whistle: and remind our players that they are capable of winning games. I'd say that's our best chance of promotion. Of course, if it worked then Mel would have a massive dilemma for next season - but I'm sure one which he'd rather deal with than ending the season with another pathetic whimper. 

Archived