Has he?

1 minute ago, Doodle said:

Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear. I only think he’s defensive when he has to be. I don’t think he would be at Derby. His promotion teams played decent football. I think our squad strength is more suitable to a quick, fluid attacking system, than a defensive one.  I think he would quickly identify this and play according. But if you are dealing with peanuts in transfer terms, as he has done over the last decade or so, it’s easier to be defensive than attacking. It’s a simple fact, good defenders cost a fraction of what good forwards, or even mediocre forwards do 

Mick McCarthy has never been associated with quick, fluid attack though. This is my problem. Same as Tony Pulis. Same as Neil Warnock. These managers aren't associated with quick, fluid attack and are more known for cynicism, foul play and hoof. My point is, why would you want McCarthy when other managers actually will attack? Why recycle the same old name?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'm citing our owner. Not really an unreasonable point to make, if Mel says there is a Derby way, then he should stick to it himself.

I enjoy football for entertainment. This season, I've rarely been entertained. 13/14 I couldn't wait for the next game, I was excited to go to the stadium. This year, I'd rather not bother as I can think of many other things I'd rather do. Even when this side was successful, I didn't really want to go to the games as it wasn't very interesting. The whole ''defensive football is more successful'' is ******** anyway. Wolves and Fulham the best sides in the league, play very nice football. 

So in short, sod hoofball and boredom.

Mel made the point of the "Derby way" and never expanded on it explaining what exactly what he meant it to be.Has for the two sides mentioned yes they both play nice on the eye football and one certainly has been successfull the other it remains to be seen.On Tuesday we will see another way of playing which may or may not bring them success I know which is better to watch but it may not bring it's rewards.

If you do not like what you watch then you have the perfect reason not to go.

Just now, Beagle said:

Mel made the point of the "Derby way" and never expanded on it explaining what exactly what he meant it to be.Has for the two sides mentioned yes they both play nice on the eye football and one certainly has been successfull the other it remains to be seen.On Tuesday we will see another way of playing which may or may not bring them success I know which is better to watch but it may not bring it's rewards.

I don't plan on going. 

How does it remain to be seen how good Fulham is? They're so much better than Cardiff. They play much better football, and recently have been getting much better results. They deserve promotion for having a young, forward thinking squad. Exactly the model I want Derby to follow. It would make my year if we managed to steal Jokanovic from fulham (not gonna happen). 

All I want is to be able to support my club again. And with Rowett or another shithouse manager in charge, I don't think that is easy for me.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Mick McCarthy has never been associated with quick, fluid attack though. This is my problem. Same as Tony Pulis. Same as Neil Warnock. These managers aren't associated with quick, fluid attack and are more known for cynicism, foul play and hoof. My point is, why would you want McCarthy when other managers actually will attack? Why recycle the same old name?

Other Managers aren't getting us anywhere near promotion, Mac aside, which given his second tenure may have been a flash in the pan.

The other thing is, none of our recent Managers have got anywhere near really sorting that defence out. As pretty as our football could be, we aren't going anywhere until that gets sorted out.

Berate McCarthy, Pulis, Warnock et al, but they've all got teams up. Perhaps we should go for that, and then go from there, rather than trying to put the cart before the horse.

2 minutes ago, Beagle said:

The Derby Way phrase was coined by McClaren at a forum event at PP, and wasn't about a playing style. Our club was to be a beacon of righteousness. Our players shouldn't swear or dive. We would pay our bills on time and try to look after the community. We wouldn't tap players up and we'd put lots of effort into the development of young players, whether PL loanees or home grown. Derby County were going to do things in the right way...which in retrospect was slightly amusing as McClaren started schmoozing with Newcastle shortly afterwards and the guy sitting next to him grinning smugly was apparently feathering his own nest at Mel's expense.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I never wanted Rowett appointed, I thought it stunk of a Nigel Clough type appointment where the fans would buy into it given the name and connection.  I thought the sacking of Steve proved that Mel wanted a yes man who would willingly sell the silverware, whereas Steve would have been demanding to keep our best players and buy more.

His exploits in the summer transfer window did nothing to change my mind.

When we were second I honestly thought my initial thoughts were wrong and with a few astute signings in Jan he might actually take us up. Unfortunately Gary Rowett actually weakened us in January and again proved to me that he is not the man to take us forward.

dont even get me started on his youth policy, which is more akin to a pink coconut over 25s night.

Appreciate your honesty, I honestly feel he transfers in the Summer were probably he best we could have hoped for with what went on before him. MM does have to take some responsibility and something that hasn’t been discussed much is our completely ineffective scouting system, poor within the UK and non existent internationally. 

17 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Berate McCarthy, Pulis, Warnock et al, but they've all got teams up. Perhaps we should go for that, and then go from there, rather than trying to put the cart before the horse.

I seriously can't believe this post. I'm genuinely baffled. Do our fans never learn? Let's sign Nigel Pearson, he got Leicester up, experienced, safe manager! Atrocious. 

Redknapp, he'll help us get promoted, we won't bottle it with him advising us. Thrashed 3-0 at home by Hull.

Other Managers aren't getting us anywhere near promotion, Mac aside, which given his second tenure may have been a flash in the pan.

No other manager in the world will get us promoted? Not one? Are you joking? Of course there are managers out there that could. It's naieve to think otherwise. Every year, one manager comes from abroad and lights the league up. We just need to show some ambition. Nuno and Wagner have done well for themselves. But let's just recycle the same old dross over and over and over.

The other thing is, none of our recent Managers have got anywhere near really sorting that defence out. As pretty as our football could be, we aren't going anywhere until that gets sorted out.

Our defense WAS sorted out so many times. This is such a huge myth. Earlier in the season, hadn't we conceded the least goals in the league? Under Mac, didn't we go like 7 games in a row with only clean sheets? You're over simplifying football. You can't just sign 2 hoofball tall heading centre halves and go ''the defense is sorted'' you have to defend as a team, and that's about coaching and intent more than anything. 

35 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Against my expectations yes, he delivers a brand of football, I think is turgid, horrible, unentertaining, negative, and does not give me any enthusiasm to go and watch, which is something I haven’t really experienced in the decades I have watched Derby. 

Really?

In 'decades' of watching Derby you can't even remember the dogshit served up by managers such as Clough, Todd, Brown and Gregory? 

1 hour ago, Doodle said:

Rubbish, you don’t get a false league position after more than half a season has been played, we were 2 nd because we were the 2 nd best team at that point in time. By January however, you can strengthen the areas of your squad that are weak and also have a good idea of other teams strengths, and how to counter them. The reason Derby are dropping like a stone is our failure to do the above. We weakened our squad, failed to address our problem areas and have stubbornly stuck to one game plan, regardless of opponent or location, until the panic button was hit yesterday. 

Well then I think you are one out on your own here, I’d suggest 99.9% of us thought we were over achieving. I agree we didn’t strengthen but again that’s due to poor previous transfers.

Next season is going to be even worse I fear, talk of playing kids, what kids are these then ?. 

Just now, Andicis said:

I mentioned him as a short term appointment not our long term solution. Ask Wolves and Sunderland fans how they rate him.!! His career isn’t just a cash strapped Ipswich. Same old name? He’s not moved jobs for 7 years. You can dismiss him, warnock and Pulis. But all have forgotten more about football management than Rowett will ever know. You seam to be unable to understand that if you are operating at the lower end of a division, defence is the best form of defence, and the cheapest!!! They all do the best job they can with the tools they have at hand. I doubt any of them would choose the defensive approach if fund were unlimited. You can disrespect them all you want but it’s more a measure of your ignorance of your footballing knowledge than theirs 

9 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

So you were happy with the football in the latter years under Jim Smith, under Colin Todd, John Gregory, Phil Brown, Billy Davies, Paul Jewell, Nigel Clough? That’s just my lifetime late 70s early 80s was even worse apparently?

Dont disagree the football hasn’t been great to watch (my argument is still that it’s no worse than last season) but one of the worst managers we’ve ever had...a bit strong and if you’ve been watching derby for decades also means you have a short memory which I think most of us do.

The managers you quote tried to play football, Billy Davies and Jim Smith shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath as GR, although coincidentally both achieved promotion in their first season at the club.  Clough was indifferent, but he never played the football that GR does, not over the period that GR has.  Todd was at the club for three months, and Brown not a full season, yet neither played the brand of football GR played, they didn’t utilise the players at their disposal which was there downfall, I don’t think I have seen a manager set us up with a defensive unit of 8 players for a match we had to win.

The others maybe, hence why I said, one of the worst.

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

“Has he?” Has who what?

“Will they be back?” Who?

“Honestly...” Honestly what?

It’d be nice if thread titles gave an inkling as to what the thread was about.

I agree...

.        .        .

Dot. Dot. Dot

F751C564-CC98-49B5-BC41-9B93CD973C2D.png

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Really?

In 'decades' of watching Derby you can't even remember the dogshit served up by managers such as Clough, Todd, Brown and Gregory? 

As per my other reply, I think there is a difference between a managers ability to get the players to perform, to setting up a team that plays the way GR does.  Just my opinion of course.

1 minute ago, Doodle said:

You seam to be unable to understand that if you are operating at the lower end of a division, defence is the best form of defence, and the cheapest!!! They all do the best job they can with the tools they have at hand.

I disagree. I'm going to cite a recent example of Huddersfield. If they did the best job they could do, Ipswich has equal resources to Huddersfield, or did before last year, and yet Huddersfield are now in the Premier League and Ipswich has been languishing in mid table for quite some time now. Could it be that, fresh new ideas are the way forward instead of the tired old method? Shock. I don't care how much they know or what fund they previously operated with, we should look for more than those three. I want a squad and team to actually be proud of, not promotion by any means by smashing the ball long. 

5 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I doubt any of them would choose the defensive approach if fund were unlimited

So you're effectively insinuating you can only attack if you have money? Derby 13/14, how much was that squad assembled for? 

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I seriously can't believe this post. I'm genuinely baffled. Do our fans never learn? Let's sign Nigel Pearson, he got Leicester up, experienced, safe manager! Atrocious. 

Redknapp, he'll help us get promoted, we won't bottle it with him advising us. Thrashed 3-0 at home by Hull.

Might be wrong here but think Pearson had two promotions to his name, the others have numerous.

1 minute ago, Shaftesbury st said:

Well then I think you are one out on your own here, I’d suggest 99.9% of us thought we were over achieving. I agree we didn’t strengthen but again that’s due to poor previous transfers.

Next season is going to be even worse I fear, talk of playing kids, what kids are these then ?. 

What have previous transfers got to do with signing Jerome and giving Thorne and Forsyth lucrative new contracts, whilst only signing Palmer on loan who plays in the exact position as our best player??? He was restricted by previous managers, agreed. But on that evidence, it’s probably a good thing 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Might be wrong here but think Pearson had two promotions to his name, the others have numerous.

You're probably right, I haven't done too much research into their previous promotion track record, my point is no manager ''guarantees'' promotion like people seem to think. The insinuation that signing Warnock/Pulis/McCarthy that type of manager assures you of future promotion I find completely baffling. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

You're probably right, I haven't done too much research into their previous promotion track record, my point is no manager ''guarantees'' promotion like people seem to think. The insinuation that signing Warnock/Pulis/McCarthy that type of manager assures you of future promotion I find completely baffling. 

I would put money on either of the 3 you mentioned getting this squad promoted from this division.

No guarantees, the football would not be great, but I honestly think all of them would get us promoted.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I would put money on either of the 3 you mentioned getting this squad promoted from this division.

No guarantees, the football would not be great, but I honestly think all of them would get us promoted.

I'd put money against them. I think if you asked before we got Nigel Pearson, his name would probably have been banded along with it, but he has been crossed off the list now! 

Archived