Has he?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

McCarthy's record at clubs similar to ours (Wolves, Sunderland) is very good - he took them both up to the PL. 

Vastly experienced in the Championship. Capable of managing in the PL. International experience.

We should be so lucky.

:unsure: I wouldn't bother going to watch a Mick McCarthy Derby County side. Even worse than Rowett, and that is saying something. A lot of our fans are sick of hoofball football, so McCarthy should be out of the question. If even Ipswich can't stomach his football, then I'm sure that I can't!

Just now, Andicis said:

:unsure: I wouldn't bother going to watch a Mick McCarthy Derby County side. Even worse than Rowett, and that is saying something. A lot of our fans are sick of hoofball football, so McCarthy should be out of the question. If even Ipswich can't stomach his football, then I'm sure that I can't!

Again, neither Sunderland or Wolves played hoofball under him. I really wouldn't be blinded by how he had Ipswich playing. That being said, I don't really remember Ipswich being as brittle as we are.

Just now, StaffsRam said:

That being said, I don't really remember Ipswich being as brittle as we are.

Don't. It's what people said about Rowett. It's what people said about Nigel Pearson. Both were completely naff once at Derby. Neither Sunderland or Wolves played good football under him either. I remember Wolves using Jarvis to sprint down the wing and consistently lob the ball into the box for Ebanks-Blake, no?

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

Again, neither Sunderland or Wolves played hoofball under him. I really wouldn't be blinded by how he had Ipswich playing. That being said, I don't really remember Ipswich being as brittle as we are.

The Wolves fans turned against him because of his style of football, although in hindsight that didn't work out too well for Wolves.

Just now, Andicis said:

Don't. It's what people said about Rowett. It's what people said about Nigel Pearson. Both were completely naff once at Derby. Neither Sunderland or Wolves played good football under him either. I remember Wolves using Jarvis to sprint down the wing and consistently lob the ball into the box for Ebanks-Blake, no?

No more defensive hoofball managers please

I want someone who embraces the talented,flair players,who utilises them to play the ball on the floor,who gets the crowd out of their seats and excited by our style of play....I want to go home from a match proud of our team win or lose.

So,no Mick mcarthy or anyone else like him again,thankyou very much.

14 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Really???

Against my expectations yes, he delivers a brand of football, I think is turgid, horrible, unentertaining, negative, and does not give me any enthusiasm to go and watch, which is something I haven’t really experienced in the decades I have watched Derby.

I don’t care who manages the team, I just hope that they play a football I associated with the club, if GR were to play that I’d be more than happy, unfortunately he doesn’t and won’t.  

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Little harsh. Has more success on his CV already than Rowett ever will have. He’s a bloke who knows how to get the best out of a restricted squad. If money is tight it is easier to form a solid defence, than form a fluid attack. He wouldn’t be poor at doing both 

Just now, Doodle said:

Little harsh. Has more success on his CV already than Rowett ever will have. He’s a bloke who knows how to get the best out of a restricted squad. If money is tight it is easier to form a solid defence, than form a fluid attack. He wouldn’t be poor at doing both 

And he might be able to put together a good defensive squad. I still wouldn't watch it. I despise negative, cynical football. There are SO many managers out there that want to attack, why would we get a manager even more boring than the one we have?! If we want our fans to be excited again, we need a manager who actually tries to score goals instead of defend and hoof. It's not much to ask for managers to adhere to the ''Derby way'' is it?

1 minute ago, bigbadbob said:

Their loss then if you've no time to read due to time constaints. Don't let it bother you.

Yeah. David’s too if I don’t usually click on them. Although maybe more people click on them when they otherwise wouldn’t as they’re curious. Click bait int it.

Rowett is unproven at this level. His only claim to fame being that he'd gotten Birmingham into the playoff positions. This season alone is proof enough that this doesn't really mean very much unless you're still there at the end of the season.

Pearson - he got Leicester up when it was pretty much impossible for him not to. He's not really done anything in this league outside of that. 

Under McCarthy, Wolves were promoted as the highest goal scorers in the league. They dominated. The boring b******s. Sunderland, again, up as Champions. When did we last finish a season being top of the league? Three decades ago. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And he might be able to put together a good defensive squad. I still wouldn't watch it. I despise negative, cynical football. There are SO many managers out there that want to attack, why would we get a manager even more boring than the one we have?! If we want our fans to be excited again, we need a manager who actually tries to score goals instead of defend and hoof. It's not much to ask for managers to adhere to the ''Derby way'' is it?

Ahhhh there it is again the mystical"Derby way" ....there is no such thing and the sooner people get it out of their heads the better.Having watched over fifty years of Derby County I can safely say they have played many styles and not all have been appealing.The great sides had no problem going more direct if the situation and opposition called for it.

If the side is winning no matter how it plays it will fill the ground people may moan but it will still be full, maybe not by the same people but fans want to be associated with a successful side.

Just now, Beagle said:

Ahhhh there it is again the mystical"Derby way" ....there is no such thing and the sooner people get it out of their heads the better.Having watched over fifty years of Derby County I can safely say they have played many styles and not all have been appealing.The great sides had no problem going more direct if the situation and opposition called for it.

If the side is winning no matter how it plays it will fill the ground people may moan but it will still be full, maybe not by the same people but fans want to be associated with a successful side.

I'm citing our owner. Not really an unreasonable point to make, if Mel says there is a Derby way, then he should stick to it himself.

I enjoy football for entertainment. This season, I've rarely been entertained. 13/14 I couldn't wait for the next game, I was excited to go to the stadium. This year, I'd rather not bother as I can think of many other things I'd rather do. Even when this side was successful, I didn't really want to go to the games as it wasn't very interesting. The whole ''defensive football is more successful'' is ******** anyway. Wolves and Fulham the best sides in the league, play very nice football. 

So in short, sod hoofball and boredom.

7 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Yeah. David’s too if I don’t usually click on them. Although maybe more people click on them when they otherwise wouldn’t as they’re curious. Click bait int it.

I would suggest the latter. Either way, you ended up clicking on it. Despite the potential waste of valuable time

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear. I only think he’s defensive when he has to be. I don’t think he would be at Derby. His promotion teams played decent football. I think our squad strength is more suitable to a quick, fluid attacking system, than a defensive one.  I think he would quickly identify this and play according. But if you are dealing with peanuts in transfer terms, as he has done over the last decade or so, it’s easier to be defensive than attacking. It’s a simple fact, good defenders cost a fraction of what good forwards, or even mediocre forwards do 

16 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Against my expectations yes, he delivers a brand of football, I think is turgid, horrible, unentertaining, negative, and does not give me any enthusiasm to go and watch, which is something I haven’t really experienced in the decades I have watched Derby.

I don’t care who manages the team, I just hope that they play a football I associated with the club, if GR were to play that I’d be more than happy, unfortunately he doesn’t and won’t.  

So you were happy with the football in the latter years under Jim Smith, under Colin Todd, John Gregory, Phil Brown, Billy Davies, Paul Jewell, Nigel Clough? That’s just my lifetime late 70s early 80s was even worse apparently?

Dont disagree the football hasn’t been great to watch (my argument is still that it’s no worse than last season) but one of the worst managers we’ve ever had...a bit strong and if you’ve been watching derby for decades also means you have a short memory which I think most of us do.

Archived