Tom Lawrence

Carnero

On 21 April 2018 at 19:32, Mckram said:

Not been Lawrence’s biggest fan but only because he lacked any fight and effort.

Today he showed it and looked great, just a shame nobody else joined him.

I don't think it was fight and effort lacking on Saturday, just a gulf in quality. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

Never doubted him. He would be better suited centrally as suggested. Problem is that's Vydra, palmer and Lawrence all better centrally. Personally I'd drop nuge and move Vydra forward and play palmer central. We ain't gonna win any battles in the air against cardiffs big lumps so need to keep it on the deck. If only we had someone up front that could hold it up and flick it on to runners feet!!

We were playing rubbish at Cardiff earlier in season but when Martin came on at half time we were much better and were a little unlucky not to snatch it at the end. Seems light years ago! 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't think it was fight and effort lacking on Saturday, just a gulf in quality. 

I’d disagree that there was that much difference in quality. If so, how did we beat them 3-0 at their place and are only 4 points behind them.

I’m not saying we are a good team, more that they aren’t as good as we made them look with our half hearted effort. 

1 hour ago, Mckram said:

I’d disagree that there was that much difference in quality. If so, how did we beat them 3-0 at their place and are only 4 points behind them.

I’m not saying we are a good team, more that they aren’t as good as we made them look with our half hearted effort. 

I didn't go to Boro away but, I suspect they've improved somewhat since that game. Also, we're just 4 points behind only because of our amazing run earlier in the season not due to our current form.

Don't get me wrong, I applauded the team off because of the increased effort and desire but we simply lacked the quality players they possessed. 

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:07, angieram said:

We were playing rubbish at Cardiff earlier in season but when Martin came on at half time we were much better and were a little unlucky not to snatch it at the end. Seems light years ago! 

now THERE'S some standards I can see us maintaining.

I hope it won't be, but I fear that this evening may be a sense of deja vu.......:lol:

He played one bad cross and Wisdom ran over and got his head back up. We've missed that a lot of recent seasons. 

A good example was when Hendrick missed that header against Forest at 1-1 and I think Ward (?) ran over picked him up and then he bagged the winner. 

Character & cohesion in the squad, it goes a long way! 

• 3 weeks later...

One thing really did stand out again last night and that is the quality of Toms final ball, corners, free kicks and open play, just not enough care put in, gives the ball away countless times from good positions, as our main play maker he has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders but sometimes looks a bit selfish, he needs to r3lease the ball earlier and more accurately.

if he can do this he will become an important part of next s aeons team, if not then we need another ball carrier in the summer, somebody to take it from our half the the opposition half.

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

One thing really did stand out again last night and that is the quality of Toms final ball, corners, free kicks and open play, just not enough care put in, gives the ball away countless times from good positions, as our main play maker he has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders but sometimes looks a bit selfish, he needs to r3lease the ball earlier and more accurately.

if he can do this he will become an important part of next s aeons team, if not then we need another ball carrier in the summer, somebody to take it from our half the the opposition half.

Sounds like you a big fan of him, just like me!

I think he will have a great season next year. It winds me up when people write players off after one season, how many thought Vydra will do well after his first season for us?

He just needs to be more decisive in the final third

On 21/04/2018 at 18:04, Carnero said:

No doubt it'll go unmentioned during the furore of another defeat, but I have to say well done to Lawrence today... possibly his best performance in a rams shirt - non-stop effort from start to finish and our only real semblance of an attacking threat.

Yeah, yeah I know work rate is "the least we should expect" but his performance is still worthy of a mention.

From small acorns can grow... erm... bigger acorns or something.

Bravo Tom!

He is getting better and better, I think next year could be his year 

Tom has many fine qualities, but is still raw.  i feel a back to basics approach would benefit him at this point, he has the technical attributes, but should sharpen his mental discipline and that comes with repetition in basic setups.  i can see why he was bought, a skillful player.  Handled correctly, could become a Championship star.

10 hours ago, ramit said:

Tom has many fine qualities, but is still raw.  i feel a back to basics approach would benefit him at this point, he has the technical attributes, but should sharpen his mental discipline and that comes with repetition in basic setups.  i can see why he was bought, a skillful player.  Handled correctly, could become a Championship star.

He is a very expensive international who should not be "raw" at his age. He's not a 17 year old Sessingnon(?). Anyway we want potential Prem stars!

He reminds me of Russell. People used to go on like Russell was great. Run the ball out of play? Applause! Shoot from 35 yards when there's good pass on? Applause. Get tucked away down the line and win a corner? Huge cheer. 

And that was pretty much it. All promise and very little product. Sure he'd smash the odd goal in but mostly he was well overrated. 

Then people got fed up of the same **** week after week, month after month, year after year. 

Then he's the worst player ever. Get rid. Donkey. Sell him. I'll drive him to Brighton.

Truth was he was never that good and never that bad. He was a hard working fella with a good attitude and pretty handy at moving the ball 30 yards up the pitch quickly. That's it. Good for winning the odd set piece and occasionally scoring and a decent delivery. 

And that's what Lawrence is to my eyes. A ball carrier. Some talk like he's done something amazing when he has won a corner or smashed a free kick on target. It's stuff that Russell can and did do for us. Neither donkey nor Ronaldo. 

Nobody will come in for him. There's wingers like him everywhere. 

He may reach that level where he's actually nailing the passes at the end of his runs. Where he's releasing the ball in time. Ibe did. He was even worse at first for playing like he's on a school playground. 

But for now I think he's at that Russell stage where everything he does is overrated. Like the free kick at Preston. A smashed free kick that should have been saved and people said he played really well. Both Preston wide men did everything he did but smash a free kick at the keeper. Gillespie did more if I remember correctly (?) 

Obviously I don't want to see him underrated like Russell was at the end. But Russell never really changed as a player at Derby. Yet he went from hero to zero until he left. 

32 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

He is a very expensive international who should not be "raw" at his age. He's not a 17 year old Sessingnon(?). Anyway we want potential Prem stars!

He shouldn't be but he is and if we want some kind of return on the money paid then that needs to be addressed

Archived