Why do Derby fans not want to give Rowett time

Curtains

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The truth is that we really are just an average mid table championship club. Yes we flirt with promotion, but could just as easily flirt with relegation. Rowett is capable of sustaining that.

But if we want promotion, well .........

I went last night and it was depressing ,the Wolves fans asked why we didn't have a go /  turn up even though it's predictable . We are so one dimensional it's unbelievable , there's no passion ,no desire  ,no commitment ,nothing .

Wolves played us so easily it was quite frankly embarrassing, I voted to keep Rowett in the poll on the other thread I am now firmly in the out camp .

The only reason I voted keep was because of the managerial merry go round we have had over the past few years . I am so fed up with the standard of football [if you can call it that]I am unlikely to watch another game until it improves or he is replaced . 

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Secondly, I wonder how may were calling for his head when we reached the the giddy heights of second in the league?

In fairness, a lot of those have been consistent in their views about the standard of football.

I started the season thinking it was a building season, regain some identity and a finish in the top half would be ok. Rowett hasn't been able to do the business he wanted, I guess due to lack of interest in some of our players.  What I saw glimpses of earlier in the season was an attempt to hit on quick counter attacks, more direct but at a high tempo. That now seems to have become pedestrian.

For what we have got out of this season (so far) we may aswell have appointed someone like Warnock. McCarthy. We have a more likeable but lite version. In that respect, we could have just stuck with Pearson! I am disappointed that we have got down this route, preferring experience. We'll have to completely overhaul the squad come the summer wherever we finish.

Despite all of Rowett's talk, we still had the post January slump. We show too much respect to the opposition. We have lost any sense of aggression. Vydra is having a great season but in recent matches I can't help feel that we could get so much more out of him and other players if we weren't so negative.

I am all for giving a manager time, but time can only be given if they are working towards something. I only see short term thinking...

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

He's had over a year so its fair to begin to judge him:

Squad quality - backwards

Squad age - increased 

Performances - no improvement at all since he took over (even the defensive improvements that could have been argued have now been shot to pieces)

Under 23s - barely had a sniff

League position - fair play to him we're in with a chance of finishing in the play offs. It hasn't been enjoyable but to some extent its been effective. 

Game management - very poor if it isn't going well. Subs rarely used early. Doesn't seem flexible at all. Not bad when it comes to seeing out a win. 

I would say that I'd be happy to give him until January before re-assessing if he commits to improving the 2nd, 3rd and 4th measures. He's got to give us a team we're passionate about again. Young and hungry and full of energy mixed with some talent!

That's a balanced and fair assessment. Nice work.

Question shouldn't be if Rowett should be sacked. Question should be whether people think they are being entertained for their season ticket money.

Football should be about entertainment and very rarely are we entertained unless its an off the field, behind closed doors thing that somebody within a football club cares more about themselves than anybody else.

Realistically guys and gals, if we get promoted there's a good chance we would be breaking records again!!!

I like Rowett and think he deserves time. But then I thought Clement deserved time so what the **** do I know. 

Whilst I like Rowett as a man, and we are 5th in the table, I'd be a liar if I enjoyed watching his team play. The football is painful, turgid and void of direction. We seem to be relying on individual moments of brilliance to win games. Rather than a philosophy that the team and supporters can buy into. 

No idea how Mel appraises Gary's performance but you would hope that there is some feedback loop in place.

I would suggest that Gary Rowett is kept for the duration of the squad cull to see whether or not we can then see any signs of an identity emerging - or issues identified on the forum being addressed.

That would suggest to the end of next season as a minimum.

I originally expected us to struggle initially this season and finish around 11th having rebuilt. I think that may have been deferred a season. Talk of a relegation struggle next season is too alarmist imo, but I think we have to be prepared to bite the bullet in terms of league position for a year to enable some decent foundations to be put in place.

I completely accept that a number of my fellow posters strongly believe Rowett is not the person to put the right kind of foundations in place and I simply don't know. This will be probably a new brief for him as hasn't he spent most of managerial career so far reformatting an existing group of players into a unit capable of getting some decent results in the short term? Witness Birmingham - whilst he got them to a decent position early in that season, who's to say that they may have deteriorated in much the way we have this season?

1 hour ago, clarkeram7 said:

Completely disagree with your comment about his transfer dealings. 

Generally his transfers have been very good especially in comparison to the last 3 years. 

Wisdom, Davies, Huddlestone, Winnall, Palmer, Ledley have all been hits. 

Jury is still out on Lawrence and Jerome but they certainly aren't the worst players I've seen. 

You think Wisdom is a hit? He’s a shadow of the player we had on loan and for £4 million you think that’s good value?

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

That's a balanced and fair assessment. Nice work.

Thanks. I tried to be balanced though I know full well my feelings on Rowett will shine through. He isn't the man to create an identity and for us to then use that identity to start to create a pathway for our U23s as well as younger hungry players coming through. 

Absolute beggars belief that Brentford, Preston etc have done this with a tiny outlay compared to us. Everyone from Owner to CEO to Scouting to Management to Coaches should be ashamed at how disjointed we still are. 

If we get rid of GR. You have to ask yourself this. 

Who would you want to replace him? Would that person want to come to a team, knowing he will inherit a miss matched team that has been built over several seasons by who knows how many managers now (losing count).

Also knowing if he isn't an instant success the fans will turn at the drop of a point.

Knowing he might get sacked at any moment.

It might not be pretty and we might not be able to see the end product, we also do not know what is going on behind the scenes. I.E what constraints are being put on GR.

So in my opinion give him more time and see where it goes.

Let's face it, and be honest with yourselves, where did you expect to be at the beginning of this season? I for one would have been happy knocking on the door of the play-off's.

20 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

In fairness, a lot of those have been consistent in their views about the standard of football.

I started the season thinking it was a building season, regain some identity and a finish in the top half would be ok. Rowett hasn't been able to do the business he wanted, I guess due to lack of interest in some of our players.  What I saw glimpses of earlier in the season was an attempt to hit on quick counter attacks, more direct but at a high tempo. That now seems to have become pedestrian.

For what we have got out of this season (so far) we may aswell have appointed someone like Warnock. McCarthy. We have a more likeable but lite version. In that respect, we could have just stuck with Pearson! I am disappointed that we have got down this route, preferring experience. We'll have to completely overhaul the squad come the summer wherever we finish.

Despite all of Rowett's talk, we still had the post January slump. We show too much respect to the opposition. We have lost any sense of aggression. Vydra is having a great season but in recent matches I can't help feel that we could get so much more out of him and other players if we weren't so negative.

I am all for giving a manager time, but time can only be given if they are working towards something. I only see short term thinking...

Can't disagree with most of your post however, "short term thinking" could just as easily be applied to those fans wanting him out. I agree, I've not seen much evidence of building for the future and it isn't that entertaining just now but, I'm not sure there is much to be gained by changing managers again.

Sith Happens

The vote after the sunderland game said the majority wanted rowett to stay, i dont see that will have changed since then.

I want him to stay, for now.

If we dont go up, i want to see some improvement, if not in league position, in performances next season. I'd like to see some more youth in the team.

I personally dont buy this 'we are skint' thing. Mel was clear that clubs were trying to pull our pants down on transfers because we had money to spend. I think its a bit of a bluff.

I also don't understand why we have a proven goal scorer and excellent plan B on loan at Reading, and Cameron Jerome in a Derby shirt. 

Simon Dawkins was actually better at holding the ball and retaining possession, that CJ is. Plus he could score on occasion. 

Its is crazy to believe that people want to sack the manager now.

The club needs stability. The football isnt amazing as it was a year or so ago yes but that got us nowhere and we will go nowhere if we dont get into the prem soon. The money will just dwindle into nothing. A more pragmatic approach is a good alternative to the gunhoe Mac 1 and 2 and the turgid sideways PC. NP gets no mention.

Rowett is working slowly but the team is more than capable just needs rebalancing this is difficult on a small budget until the 'dead wood' is gone.

I say to those who think we are boring If you dont like what you are watching no one is forcing you to renew your season ticket. Try doing something to suit more to your 'exciting' style instead like extreme ironing or ultimate frisbee.

8 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Get yer boots ready mate.. I am sure you will look forward to your first Gibbo interview :lol:

Certainly would.  I would ask him why he tried to pinch my girlfriend back in 1972 lol...... Then we can chat about how I played...... Even if my boots are white :)

Archived