A moment for Tom Lawrence

TuffLuff

As no one has started a thread, plus to counter the more negative thread, I thought id mention this.

Thought yesterday he started to look like the player we thought we had signed. He finally has been given the freedom to cut into the middle and looks so much better for it. His improvement started at Forest and he’s growing in my eyes. 

I’m starting to believe that he’s a player we should be building our play/team around, I just hope Rowett sees that too.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One moment stood out when he chased back and made a perfectly timed sliding tackle. The crowd really warmed to this and gave a noticeably longer, warm applause for his effort.

It seemed to lift him a bit and he responded to this.

Well done Tom, well done the fans.

1 minute ago, jimbobram said:

He has the ability, he just needs to put more effort in sometimes. Yesterday he was brilliant. Wanted to run at players...even chased back and made a tackle. All we ask is effort from the players. 

Think he's always tried Jimbo, maybe just too hard at times. He's 4th ranked for tackles made too which seems to bear that line of thought out. I've said from the start that he's a confidence player and I think we're seeing that now. We've also played quite a rigid system which would not necessarily suit a player who likes to drift in from out wide. That seems to have made him a target for a lot of criticism but he's at least trying to answer those critics in the best way he can -with goals.

He could just be the spark for a special end to the season. In any case I'll keep dreaming :thumbsup:

COYR

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

As no one has started a thread, plus to counter the more negative thread, I thought id mention this.

Thought yesterday he started to look like the player we thought we had signed. He finally has been given the freedom to cut into the middle and looks so much better for it. His improvement started at Forest and he’s growing in my eyes. 

I’m starting to believe that he’s a player we should be building our play/team around, I just hope Rowett sees that too.

Well I tried cheerleading him on the other thread because I reckoned the kid had untapped talent and there was plenty to come with patience. 

Can debate the price tag till the cows come home, that’s not his fault, but it’s bound to play in a young lads mind. Have to remember Tom really only had one good season under his belt at Ipswich before he came here, yet you watch that belter he scored for Wales and listen to a few Ipswich fans and you can soon see and hear the promise.

He’s a confidence player to me at present, encouragement gets him going, as does a few good games. I’m not saying people can’t criticise, but every time he gets the odd jeer or mock he becomes a shrinking violet and his game worsens.

Hopefully we’ve seen him turn a corner, he’s got a lot of maturing to do, like no more cupping of ears to home fans please. But he surely wants to do well and that was just releasing his frustration. If he runs at teams more like yesterday he can become a star for us. Concentrate on that instead of too many step overs and I reckon the will be plenty of praise for him.

He probably is going to belatedly come good just like Vydra, at least that’s what I’m hoping, as the potential is there for me.

I thought Lawrence was a bit of a namby pamby lightweight, but over the last few games I have said to my mate that he is putting himself about a bit more and is going into players and winning balls that he wouldn't have attempted a few weeks back. Good luck to the lad and hopefully his confidence will continue to grow.

18 minutes ago, belperram9 said:

Nope, still a bang average player for me regardless of a half decent performance against a lowly Bolton side. He’s been poor all season IMO and more than likely he will be a passenger against Wolves. 

That's the spirit lads keep it coming

26 minutes ago, belperram9 said:

Nope, still a bang average player for me regardless of a half decent performance against a lowly Bolton side. He’s been poor all season IMO and more than likely he will be a passenger against Wolves. 

Come on fella, we are in the top 6, looking good for the play offs, Lawrence is starting to get some confidence, and form, and he is starting to look a great player, back him to get the winner in the playoff final.

Been thinking about Lawrence the last couple of games and have been wondering is he’s been suffering from a, so to speak, **** left back effect? Think we saw it a bit last year, Ince was always excellent in front of Baird but our left wingers always struggled, whether it was Russell or weimann, in front of olsson. Now I know obviously we can put much of it down to inces greater ability, but when you look at weimanns complete upturn in form this season when playing on the right in front of wiz/ Baird compared to playing on the left, could we put that somewhat down to actually having a player who can pass and he doesn’t have to worry so much about helping in defence behind him? Not saying it’s all down to that, but you have to wonder whether it has an effect?

You look at Lawrence now, he looked like a man with renewed confidence playing in front of Baird. He’s been poor regardless at times,  he perhaps it’s been made more difficult for him when Forsyth can never find him? I might be talking ********, but perhaps we’ll see if we keep Baird there whether he can return to form?

Archived