A moment for Tom Lawrence

TuffLuff

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Been thinking about Lawrence the last couple of games and have been wondering is he’s been suffering from a, so to speak, **** left back effect? Think we saw it a bit last year, Ince was always excellent in front of Baird but our left wingers always struggled, whether it was Russell or weimann, in front of olsson. Now I know obviously we can put much of it down to inces greater ability, but when you look at weimanns complete upturn in form this season when playing on the right in front of wiz/ Baird compared to playing on the left, could we put that somewhat down to actually having a player who can pass and he doesn’t have to worry so much about helping in defence behind him? Not saying it’s all down to that, but you have to wonder whether it has an effect?

You look at Lawrence now, he looked like a man with renewed confidence playing in front of Baird. He’s been poor regardless at times,  he perhaps it’s been made more difficult for him when Forsyth can never find him? I might be talking ********, but perhaps we’ll see if we keep Baird there whether he can return to form?

I think it’s a good point but I look at it a little differently in that Lawrence and Forsyth never really gelled. It’s no ones fault but both have looked better when the other has been out of the squad (Forsyth looked more comfortable with Johnson ahead of him and Lawrence has got better with Baird behind them). Lawrence never really protected Forsyth defensively which exposed his weaknesses and they never really worked whilst together. It’s not that one player is better, they just didn’t fit together.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

I think it’s a good point but I look at it a little differently in that Lawrence and Forsyth never really gelled. It’s no ones fault but both have looked better when the other has been out of the squad (Forsyth looked more comfortable with Johnson ahead of him and Lawrence has got better with Baird behind them). Lawrence never really protected Forsyth defensively which exposed his weaknesses and they never really worked whilst together. It’s not that one player is better, they just didn’t fit together.

Yeah that’s a fair point. Could also add onto that that Lawrence also looked a bit better with olsson, think he needs someone that can play to feet, whereas Johnson has the strength to win balls from the air.

14 hours ago, Zag zig said:

He’s a confidence player to me at present, encouragement gets him going, as does a few good games. I’m not saying people can’t criticise, but every time he gets the odd jeer or mock he becomes a shrinking violet and his game worsens.

I’m  it sure I take the he needs encouragement argument if I’m honest. I just think he’s been given the freedom to play how he wants (ie he can cut in and run at players through the middle) and it’s helped give him his edge. I think if you let any player do the job he wants then they’ll start to improve (we have too many who aren’t allowed to do that even if they are in the right position, look at Thorne for example). Aslong as Vydra covers, and Vydra should be doing more work for the team anyway, then I think we have something exciting on ours hands.

Aside that, fully agree with you!

If we can hit form in the last 5 games and really push on with momentum then i back us for promotion. Villa seem to be having a wobble, Cardiff are looking likely to lose second to Fulham and i think this will affect there mentality in the Play off's. Boro are a very boring side especially now Pulis is in charge, they are suspect every week, one week they play well one week they dont. Millwall look a tough side but we did them easily at PP and should of won it at the den. I would back us to get to wembley at least......Could it be our year. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

I think he eventually scored from one of his Ronaldo free kicks and it boosted his confidence.

Sometimes the answers are simple.

Even Ronaldo doesn't score from his Ronaldo free kick.

18 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

As no one has started a thread, plus to counter the more negative thread, I thought id mention this.

Thought yesterday he started to look like the player we thought we had signed. He finally has been given the freedom to cut into the middle and looks so much better for it. His improvement started at Forest and he’s growing in my eyes. 

I’m starting to believe that he’s a player we should be building our play/team around, I just hope Rowett sees that too.

Couldn’t agree more, he is definitely a gifted individual just concerned me a little that he may be what’s classed as a luxury player. 

Couldnt be happier though, really hope he keeps the progression in improved performances. 

8 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I for one never doubted him. Bit like Ince last season, people expect miracles at times from our flair players and sometimes that just doesn't happen/ takes time

Ince still scored 14 goals and was highest assister.

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

Yes and lots still slaughtered him all season, including the numpties behind me who boo'd when his name was read out on the team sheet.

Because they are what you said, numpties. Some people can never win. For me, you can't replace Ince at this level, but it was always inevitable. 

I didn't rate him early in the season, but I would never boo a player when his name is mentioned. As it happens I was impressed this game and clapped him as he came off.

I still want to see more consistency, he wasted a lot of game time this season and one swallow doesn't make a summer. Lets see how he does at Wolves (and I hope he does really well).

11 hours ago, ossieram said:

Next time just crank your head to the right and look at the South stand. 

You're all stood up anyway. That hardly constitutes a standing ovation.

1 minute ago, ossieram said:

It does if we are clapping the bloke off rather than looking around the ground for something else to moan about.

That must be before you all fooked off at 70mins v sunderland then.

Archived