The straw that broke the camel's back?

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yep - missed Vydra's goal. Probably didn’t get as wet as us though!

20 mins though?  If you were going to leave early you'd give it 10 mins second half wouldn't you?

I'll start a thread

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came away from PP absolutely fuming - thought we started reasonably well and had we scored in the first 10-15 minutes I think the outcome could have been quite different but what followed just reminded me of some of the abject performances under NC - confidence draining away at an alarming rate!

Thoughts on last night having slept on it :- 

1. Poor team selection - with Huddlestone unavailable then Ledley should have been a definite starter. He provides defensive solidarity which Johnson and Thorne patently don't.

2. Thorne and Forsyth are shadows of their former selves and on current form don't merit a place on the bench let alone a starting role.

3. Lawrence shouldn't be a starter on current form either - there's talent there but how much longer can we wait?

4. If Rowett feels he's unable to give Palmer a start simply because we have Vydra playing as a 10 then tactically we have a real problem.

5. By playing Thorne and Johnson in front of the back 4, we have Weimann, Lawrence, Vydra and Jerome as attacking forwards and absolutely no midfield. Come to think of it, if you go through the squad (excluding players out on loan), how many genuine midfielders do we have left after losing Hendrick, Will Hughes and Bryson? 

6. Let's be honest, Keoghs' mistake was an absolute howler (though I thought Davies could have done more to stop the goal) but he has had another good season and the idiot who contacted Radio Derby to say we've had 5 years of Keogh catastrophes needs certifying.

7. Jerome will not be a success at Derby.

8. Having listened to Rowetts' post-match interview, it will be very interesting to see the starting line-up on Monday - he's not left himself with that many options for change.

I still feel numb after last nights' fiasco. Monday can't come soon enough for a number of reasons. Win and we can quickly get back on track - lose and I feel the playoffs will slip away.

16 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Came away from PP absolutely fuming - thought we started reasonably well and had we scored in the first 10-15 minutes I think the outcome could have been quite different but what followed just reminded me of some of the abject performances under NC - confidence draining away at an alarming rate!

Thoughts on last night having slept on it :- 

1. Poor team selection - with Huddlestone unavailable then Ledley should have been a definite starter. He provides defensive solidarity which Johnson and Thorne patently don't.

2. Thorne and Forsyth are shadows of their former selves and on current form don't merit a place on the bench let alone a starting role.

3. Lawrence shouldn't be a starter on current form either - there's talent there but how much longer can we wait?

4. If Rowett feels he's unable to give Palmer a start simply because we have Vydra playing as a 10 then tactically we have a real problem.

5. By playing Thorne and Johnson in front of the back 4, we have Weimann, Lawrence, Vydra and Jerome as attacking forwards and absolutely no midfield. Come to think of it, if you go through the squad (excluding players out on loan), how many genuine midfielders do we have left after losing Hendrick, Will Hughes and Bryson? 

6. Let's be honest, Keoghs' mistake was an absolute howler (though I thought Davies could have done more to stop the goal) but he has had another good season and the idiot who contacted Radio Derby to say we've had 5 years of Keogh catastrophes needs certifying.

7. Jerome will not be a success at Derby.

8. Having listened to Rowetts' post-match interview, it will be very interesting to see the starting line-up on Monday - he's not left himself with that many options for change.

I still feel numb after last nights' fiasco. Monday can't come soon enough for a number of reasons. Win and we can quickly get back on track - lose and I feel the playoffs will slip away.

Looking at our current form guide Wolfie, come Monday we will be out of the play off picture for the rest of the season as I think we will get beat(sorry to sound so negative).  It's quite alarming just how quickly we've become so bad and so don't deserve to make the play offs and we're definitely not good enough to go up.  A massive job to do in the summer! 

9 hours ago, Coconut said:

I can't be arsed to do a big lengthy post on the subject, but the utterly pathetic performance against Sunderland really feels like a turning point. I've 'only' had a season ticket since the 2003/04 season, but this is the first time I have a genuine intention (ie not just reactionary / getting the hump for a few weeks) to not bother renewing for next season. It increasingly feels like it's going to be 15 and out for me,  I haven't made this thread to be about me though.

I think/know that we've all been in the position where we declare we've had enough, but deep down know that when it comes to deadline day we'll  be handing over that cash.

So the question is simple really.

What exactly would it take to make you give up your season ticket?

Wait until it comes to the new season. There'll be the urge to get a season ticket.

Then on the first games there will be the urge to go to the ticket office.

Soon though you'll think Saturdays are actually an opportunity to do something you like. Because it turns out that watching Derby is pretty boring, stressful and time consuming.

You'll slowly start filling your weekends up with either actual fun activities or you'll do chores that make the week easier.

If you get bored easy, don't have other interests beside football, have lots of free time and like sitting in traffic then you need to renew.

7 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I am genuinely thinking about cancelling my season ticket, but I know when match day comes and I'm going shopping with the wife I'll wish I was going.

The football under Rowett is pathetic at best though so not sure shopping would be any worse.

Why is it that derby fans only other option to not going to the game is "shopping with the wife"? :lol:

For me it is more of a decline in football...footballers and the general feel around the game that is making me think twice. Its not just Rowett who has this "Id rather not loose" mentality, most of the bottom half of the Prem play like that and its killing football for me. Last night the chap who sits next to me said that at the age of 13 Tom Lawrence had a boot deal. Im not sure if that is true but it made me feel sick. When you get kids on big money it frightens me where this game is going. I have a work colleague who grew up with Will Hughes and is a family friend. She said that when he had his first pro pay check he paid off his mums mortgage. As lovely a story that is, its just a ridiculous scenario. 

Football is a game that was great in the 80s and early 90s. This what we are watching now is challenging the laws of what we most love about this game.

I will renew but at what cost. This has been the most boring of seasons. Who nows what the future holds either for Derby but football as a whole. Its a poor state of affairs ?

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Why is it that derby fans only other option to not going to the game is "shopping with the wife"? :lol:

Correct. But watching Wharfedale RUFC, who are in danger of getting relegated to rugby oblivion, is hardly the morale booster I'm looking for!

2 minutes ago, ElBeef said:

For me it is more of a decline in football...footballers and the general feel around the game that is making me think twice. Its not just Rowett who has this "Id rather not loose" mentality, most of the bottom half of the Prem play like that and its killing football for me. Last night the chap who sits next to me said that at the age of 13 Tom Lawrence had a boot deal. Im not sure if that is true but it made me feel sick. When you get kids on big money it frightens me where this game is going. I have a work colleague who grew up with Will Hughes and is a family friend. She said that when he had his first pro pay check he paid off his mums mortgage. As lovely a story that is, its just a ridiculous scenario. 

Football is a game that was great in the 80s and early 90s. This what we are watching now is challenging the laws of what we most love about this game.

I will renew but at what cost. This has been the most boring of seasons. Who nows what the future holds either for Derby but football as a whole. Its a poor state of affairs ?

Just be a little careful of what you believe. I understand  Will Hughes first pay cheque was around £2000 per month. Her mortgage was pretty small if he paid that off. Good story but “story “ being the relevant word 

2 hours ago, TomG said:

Looking at our current form guide Wolfie, come Monday we will be out of the play off picture for the rest of the season as I think we will get beat(sorry to sound so negative).  It's quite alarming just how quickly we've become so bad and so don't deserve to make the play offs and we're definitely not good enough to go up.  A massive job to do in the summer! 

Wont be a massive anything this summer Tom. Mel quite clear on RD that these players are good enough and will have to be the ones to do the job. No spend at all it sounded like. 

Only massive thing is for Rowett if he is still manager to get them firing again.

There is always the 'our generation' is best thing...be it music, fashion...sport. The feeling that things are irrevocably on the slide..my Dad and father in law were big football fans who basically lost interest when players stopped getting the bus with the fans!.

So as my generation decries the baby Bentley players, the fact football is on every day instead of just FA Cup final day....isn't that just the way it should be?

But as Angry said....there feels more to it than that.  My kids are watching YouTube every day... they are spoon fed everything they want and its there without trying.

Travelling round the country following a team who don't win?? When they can just flick tv on and support Barcelona. Derby last night was a load of half hearted mercenaries. Really dont see how the game isnt changing for the worse and at the prices they charge, the bubble will burst when our generation stop going instead of going regardless of value for money.

"The straw that broke the camel's back?" in terms of the run we are on, not the question of reknewing and not reknewing for me was :

Not beating Bristol City when we had ample chances to, and not being given that Jerome Penalty.

+ the Millwalll game, against Vydra misses a chance to score an easy goal and then the Anya effort is wrongly ruled offside

Secondly following our first defeat in a long time against Sheff Wed, the Leeds Game had enough clear chances to have scored 3 in the first half hour, before they scored from their first crossing of the half way line, and then the game was reduced to an end to end open match 2nd half, where any result was possible, and we lost complete control of the game.

Just as we had built momentum, these 3 games took it from us. We've not recovered since

If you need to take another "turning point" from our form from before these games to now, then for me the injury to Winnall, Jerome not being up to scratch, Johnny leaving, Martin going out on loan. Missing out on Lookman... you can blaime our lack of activity in january, but i think we were unlucky in Janurary over a lot of whats happened.

Number of games won since Johnny Russell left. = 1
We beat brentford 3-0, Winall got injured, and we scored from a penalty he won.

Number of games we have won since Winall got injured = 0

Number of penalties we have been awarded since that game = 0

Obviously dont knlow the stats, but id hazard a guess we are still top of the league in number of penalties we have been awarded this season, which makes the last stat even more alarming on how little of a threat we have been lately

Archived