RamsTV Meets Roy McFarland

David

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well dd22, I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say he was a colossus. Brave as a lion, he played against some real tough nuts and was never intimidated, intelligent, not just a “win me ‘eaders” or hoof it defender, read the game well, scored his share of goals for a centre half, it was a privilege to watch him at his peak. 

Can’t speak highly enough of him as a player or a bloke.

Fantastic to see the affection he has for Dave Mackay. Wonderful.

i've said it before....it is impossible to describe the charisma and the effect Dave Mackay had on the whole city. He was immense, and a great player. 

Igor x 20.

Followed Derby since 1964 and seen some exceptional players over the years.Everyone has their own favourite but,pound for pound,Roy McFarland is the best player I’ve ever seen in a Rams shirt.His partnership with Colin Todd was magnificent and he was simply awesome in both penalty areas and midfield!! I feel very lucky to have watched him perform.A true Derby legend.??

10 hours ago, superzak said:

I don't like being an older person but to be able to say I was at the games roy was talking about and to have been privileged enough to have seen dave mackay play in a derby shirt somehow makes it all worth while. Please get King kev on next 

Sorry I'm a bit busy right now.

What a brilliant bloke and complete ledge for us.

i always hold Roy as the best centre half I’ve seen live. Untouchable - how much would he be worth now.

really good interview and keep it going - for us oldies it’s brilliant to see the players of the past..... but Roy Mc is up there with Steve Bloomer and Dave Mc in my opinion

really good he can be on the board here - and top ledge to have around the place

might keep some footballers feet on the ground around here

Yes, Roy was a Derby great, lovely guy - a fantastic player and still making a brilliant contribution to the club.

Was lucky enough to see his whole career (I started as a BBG regular the season before Brian Clough was appointed) and all those heady glory days. Few since have ever come close to his abilities and achievements.

Anyone at the 'Sporting Sessions' inaugural meeting @ Toyota Suite last Monday Eve? It is a heritage & memories initiative, from the DCCT (Derby County Community Trust), aimed at fans 55+ age-wise, dates on the first Monday of every month, and also Fridays @ Alfreton Town.

The DCTT team link the initiative to the elderly fitness programmes, plus input from several charities supporting dementia and Alzheimer's  cases. The Sessions will be monthly, look for the DCCT website.

Apologies if this has been summarised before elsewhere.

The evening featured Roy Mac, Roger Davies, Archie Gemmill & King Kevin Hector, the Rams' 70s European footage being shown from those epochal games (Benfica, Real Madrid, Juventus, Finn Harps) and the ex-players were then answering questions about the matches. 

There was a great DCFC heritage artifacts display too, courtesy of curators Andy Ellis, and Peter Bonnell, of The Quad. 

Those present were able to chat with the ex-players after the video and forum, and share memories, with Roy, Kevin, Archie and Roger being friendly and warm as ever. 

They said that it was because of the incredible support and closeness that they felt from the fans, through their Derby careers, they had stayed in the area, settled and made it their home with their families. 

Here's hoping they all enjoy an even longer association with club and fans and that the boys who wear the shirt today can aspire to emulate them, give their best and bring success back to the club.

C O Y R

17 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Well dd22, I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say he was a colossus. Brave as a lion, he played against some real tough nuts and was never intimidated, intelligent, not just a “win me ‘eaders” or hoof it defender, read the game well, scored his share of goals for a centre half, it was a privilege to watch him at his peak. 

Can’t speak highly enough of him as a player or a bloke.

Can't disagree with any of that.  He was a giant in my young (at the time) eyes.  He and Colin Todd complimented each other so well.  IMHO, they were better than Keogh and Davies are and I rate them very highly.  Such a gentleman as well.  Even after he got the bullet from the manager's position, he remained dignified and it's no surprise to me that he is a director of the club under MM.  I bet even Mel feels the goosebumps rising when he sees Mac walking down the corridor....

He was before my time as a player and consequently I wasn’t really bothered that much about watching the interview...thought it might be the usual stuff....how wrong I was... brilliant interview, made every hair on my neck stick up when he talks about Dave Mackay.

His insight into Willie Carlin And how he “celebrated” the title were hilarious  

As many have said, the word “legend” is thrown around in the soccerball game far too much now, but Roy is deserving of such a title. 

Really enjoyed the interview, but loved the squad picture at 6.53 mins.  That picture was the first Rams picture l remember putting up on my bedroom wall - haven’t seen it since 1970. My mum binned it when l had my room decorated, or desecrated as l now know it.  Happy days.

54 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Really enjoyed the interview, but loved the squad picture at 6.53 mins.  That picture was the first Rams picture l remember putting up on my bedroom wall - haven’t seen it since 1970. My mum binned it when l had my room decorated, or desecrated as l now know it.  Happy days.

I also really enjoyed the interview, but loved the squad picture at 0.29 mins. That picture was the first Rams picture I remember putting up on my bedroom wall - I have seen it since 1980's. My mum prepared looking at that picture whilst hoovering the bedroom, which I shared with my younger brother (he's a Wolves fan) he didn't have a Wolves team picture up, but a rather large picture of Sam Fox with her rather large assets. 

148hqhe.png

I used to stand behind the goal in the Normanton End/Boys' End and always remember the rush of excitement and anticipation every time Roy ran up from the back whenever we won a corner. Alan Hinton was a fabulous crosser of the ball and Roy Mac was an excellent header of the ball, and together they were absolutely lethal at set pieces. We seemed to score an awful lot of goals from corners.

Archived