Ledley or Thorne starting

Curtains

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, FindernRam said:

GT didn't look just leggy- he seemed completely unsure of what to do with the ball when he had it. Mentally a head full of mush. Very unlike him really.

I do wonder though what it's like for the DM's we have. When they look up there aren't many players demanding the ball and taking up great positions. 

We miss Will in that respect.

39 minutes ago, Papahet said:

I'd have brought Ledley in for Thorne the moment he was match fit, we've gradually tailed off with him and Baird out the side IMO.

Neither are flash players but do the basis right.

What I was going to say. Thorne's looked unfit since his comeback, I was expecting him to pick up a bit but it's not been the case. Complete passenger at the moment. 

I prefer Baird as well, not quite sure what Wisdom gives us. Still have hope he'll come good but hasn't added anything to this side, disappointing like his last few spells at clubs. 

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

GT didn't look just leggy- he seemed completely unsure of what to do with the ball when he had it. Mentally a head full of mush. Very unlike him really.

I used to pay golf regularly not great but played off 10.  Due to commitments I didn't pick up a club for 7 years.  Really I am no where near back to that form and it is always a doubt in my mind as to where the ball goes when I hit it.  This was GT on Saturday, he knew what should be happening but it just wasn't

15 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I used to pay golf regularly not great but played off 10.  Due to commitments I didn't pick up a club for 7 years.  Really I am no where near back to that form and it is always a doubt in my mind as to where the ball goes when I hit it.  This was GT on Saturday, he knew what should be happening but it just wasn't

He looks really low on confidence at the moment - the 'swagger' that he used to have has gone at the moment (hence my "touch of the Butterfield's" comment in another thread). I wonder if he was expecting to get back to his old self once he got back in the side on a regular basis and as that hasn't happened, it's knocked him back a bit. Whatever the cause, get Joe and his beard back in there tomorrow....

3 hours ago, Papahet said:

I'd have brought Ledley in for Thorne the moment he was match fit, we've gradually tailed off with him and Baird out the side IMO.

Neither are flash players but do the basis right.

Totally agree with this . Also Nugent for Jerome and Palmer for Lawrence for trip to swfc

I thought Thorne started the game quite well Saturday.

He did struggle in the second half and was surprised that GR didnt replace him with Ledley.

I do think because of the regard people hold Thorne in (or expectation) his performances are over analysed, pretty much every player on the park was making mistakes Saturday, Thorne wasnt the only reason the midfield was non existent, Huddlestone contributed to that too.

I agree I think Thorne should be rested, especially if his back is a problem, but I dont think we should underestimate what a talent he is, when i see comments like 'he has been rubbish since he came back' I just think someone is looking to criticise, he hasnt been rubbish, he has on the most part done ok without hitting the heights we know he can.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, I would just hate to see Thorne turning into another Keogh, Johnson, Martin, Russell etc where every little mistake is picked up and highlighted to 'demonstrate' how rubbish he is.

Some clown behind me was giving him a right load of abuse all match long. Probably one of the booers but still.

For me Ledley starts ,results have stalled a bit since he has been out ,, I would keep Lawrence in as I don’t feel we have much better to replace him so playing him in the hope he plays himself into form is not drastic as we know he has potential even though he has not looked anywhere near reaching it , if he was keeping the place ahead of a real better option then drop him but I don’t see it ,also although he is not reaching the heights he does have a knack of being far more involved in goals we score than we realise until we look back over games, 

23 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Why on earth would you bring Fozzy in for Ollson? 

Because I don't think Olson played well on Saturday. Which has always been his problem, his inconsistency. He was really good last week but then failed on Saturday to put in a performance, same as Anya. Have a good game then have several bad games.

just my opinion but as poor as fozzys been (by his standards) he's performed better than Olson bar that one game last week.

he will be fresh aswell after a break for a couple of games.

Archived