Would it be better to go up in playoffs.

Curtains

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This squad has a lot of experience and we may have the savvy to win the play offs this year. Plenty have been there, done that ... jerome, Davies, Nugent , vydra, Bradley Johnson. Ledleys been to world cup , hud the Champions league and Carson even has a Champions league winners medal. 

I think its not good for your health, but Derby's play off record is infinitely better than Forests.. three play off finals which is three more than Forest have ever managed.

Auto for me all day.

However, I would be pretty confident in the play-offs this time with our experienced pros: ya Ledleys,ya Davies', ya Nugents, ya Jeromes, ya Huddelstones etc.

If successful, that wait between the second leg ending and the final is agony. 

4 hours ago, David said:

You don't finish 2nd without winning a lot of games, they have only won one more game than us. Long way to go yet.

I watched their match yesterday. I think they have a slightly better squad and in Grealish the type of midfielder we are crying out for. I have said for some time now that I reckon it will be a Wolves/Villa top 2 and Fulham will win the play offs. Not trying to be negative just the way I see it. Been to every Rams match at Wembley since the Charity Shield, it is a great day out but I would be quite happy with a boring second placed finish this time.........

For fan experience surely glory at Wembley...

But in terms of the club and Premier League preparation, much better to finish 2nd.

If we reach the playoffs alongside Cardiff, Bristol City and Fulham then I'd hope to play Cardiff over two legs and then get a one-off against Bristol City.

I think over two legs both BC and Fulham are the sort of teams that could walk right through us.

Automatic every day of the week.

Playoffs are a lottery and no reflection how you may have performed over the season.

It's usually the team with most momentum that wins.

The that team that wins the playoffs is also ways at a disadvantage for the next season as they have less preparation and rest time for the premiership.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

For fan experience surely glory at Wembley...

But in terms of the club and Premier League preparation, much better to finish 2nd.

If we reach the playoffs alongside Cardiff, Bristol City and Fulham then I'd hope to play Cardiff over two legs and then get a one-off against Bristol City.

I think over two legs both BC and Fulham are the sort of teams that could walk right through us.

I can see Bristol finishing outside the top 6 now, they've capitulated.

Play offs is obviously the best way to go up aside from running away with the league. 

I have totally forgotten the QPR and Leicester final defeats (I still haven’t seen Zamoras goal)  the Blackburn and Hull semi finals (I can’t even recall the Hull score!) but I can close my eyes and relieve every second of the positive results...Southampton semis- Steve H, the rain, Ideakez, the Brighton games, Chrissy penalty, Hughes goal of the decade etc and the whole glorious day at Wembley for the West Bromwich game...!

play offs please Gary..

Most will probably say automatic promotion is better but that’s because we have been stung in the playoffs so many times.

Personally I don’t think it makes a difference, provided you have a clear strategy and philosophy in place and there is a semblance of forward planning and organisation at the club.

There are such fine margins between the bottom half of the PL and the top of the Championship that the three promoted sides all have a chance of survival this year and of all the teams, the play off winners Huddersfield started the campaign the strongest.

The important thing is the promotion, not how it is achieved. If those extra three weeks are going to be make or break, then maybe as a club, we are not ready for a return to the PL.

16 hours ago, Bessie1 said:

Why's that?

Ok, I’m not saying we are going bust financially, far from it.

But I feel that this effort this season has taken fans expectations to a new high, I feel that the ‘bottlers’ term has been hanging around our necks and we’ve dared to think that I won’t happen again this year.

If we missed out on promotion I think it will be another body blow that some fans just won’t be able to take.  

Couple this with an ageing squad with players possibly on big wages and the never ending clubs coming down with ever growing parachute payments, getting up this year has got to be achieved in my eyes.

The thought of another season in the championship is a bit depressing, but also on the flip side, a season struggling in the prem is not also a good thought either.

Can we have a mini league in between? ?

23 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

I reckon they’re probably already looking at summer targets based on variables such as whether we go up or not. 

We might have a plan but if I'm a target player and have a choice early doors of going to a team definitely promoted or one that might be I know what I'd go for. Get the deal done early.

Archived