Would it be better to go up in playoffs.

Curtains

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

I just realised I'm on holiday for the play off final so Gary if you read this, I need second mate. I need a holiday and the missus would be pissed if I cancelled it!!

thanks Gary for saving my marriage, you da man!!

It wasn't til I read this that I realised we're on our hols too. Not sure how I missed that when we booked it only last week.

Would love 2nd but fear Villa are better than us. As for the crunch game at their place, well we haven't won there for 30 years so I won't build my hopes up.

The euphoria of winning at Wembley following the whole tension of the day & the build up beforehand is better than a second place finish in my opinion. I can understand why some people would prefer promotion this way.

Unfortunately the odds are stacked against us.

Just to remind you our record in the play offs is

91/92 Beaten s/f (Blackburn)

93/94 Beaten finalists (Leicester)

04/05 Beaten s/f (Preston)

06/07 Winners

13/14 Beaten finalists (QPR)

15/16 Beaten s/f (Hull)

So that's 6 campaigns in total. Only 50% success rate in getting to the final itself & a 17% overall success rate.

In conclusion I'd much rather go up in 2nd place, we've had 5 out of 6 disappointments in the play offs. Why would anyone want to risk another.

1 hour ago, Roboram said:

Would love 2nd but fear Villa are better than us. As for the crunch game at their place, well we haven't won there for 30 years so I won't build my hopes up.

The euphoria of winning at Wembley following the whole tension of the day & the build up beforehand is better than a second place finish in my opinion. I can understand why some people would prefer promotion this way.

Unfortunately the odds are stacked against us.

Just to remind you our record in the play offs is

91/92 Beaten s/f (Blackburn)

93/94 Beaten finalists (Leicester)

04/05 Beaten s/f (Preston)

06/07 Winners

13/14 Beaten finalists (QPR)

15/16 Beaten s/f (Hull)

So that's 6 campaigns in total. Only 50% success rate in getting to the final itself & a 17% overall success rate.

In conclusion I'd much rather go up in 2nd place, we've had 5 out of 6 disappointments in the play offs. Why would anyone want to risk another.

On the flip side, the law of averages suggests that all sides should have a 25% chance of success, as our historic success rate is 17% then you could say that it's due to be our turn to win the golden ticket.

It would be better to go up in the play offs day out at Wembley, big money game & its the more exciting way to go up

would i like us to go up via playoffs? Nope second spot please cant stand the nerves before the game and potential heart ache absolutely hate it 

On 12/02/2018 at 12:21, jagerbob said:

Its only good because the greedy EFL and its members have made it this way.

Bit of a joke that pretty much any average team can dream of finishing 6th with a run in the final couple of months having been dog turd for the majority of the campaign.

Promotion should be the pinnacle.

if you must have a play off make it a 2 legged affair between 3rd and 4th.. or better still 3rd bottom of EPL against 3rd in the championship

Got to agree with this comment. Last season saw Huddersfield lose 15 matches, finish with a minus 2 goal difference and they got into the premier league. I think i recall they had 6 regulars on loan from other clubs and stole wins in matches where they scored very late goals

On 2/12/2018 at 12:21, jagerbob said:

Its only good because the greedy EFL and its members have made it this way.

Bit of a joke that pretty much any average team can dream of finishing 6th with a run in the final couple of months having been dog turd for the majority of the campaign.

Promotion should be the pinnacle.

if you must have a play off make it a 2 legged affair between 3rd and 4th.. or better still 3rd bottom of EPL against 3rd in the championship

I think it would also be fair to say that the play offs make the introduction of younger players that much harder.

I'm pretty sure I've said this before but IMO the playoffs should be:

5th vs 6th (1 leg, ET & Pens)

4th vs winner of above ("")

3rd vs winner of above, as Wembley play-off final.

Therefore the advantage should always be with the highest placed team after 46 games.

My opinion is it's the wildcard element of the play-offs that add extra interest/excitement throughout the season, but especially from January onwards.

If you don't want to be in the play-offs finish in the top 2. If you don't you ain't good enough. #simples

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I'm pretty sure I've said this before but IMO the playoffs should be:

5th vs 6th (1 leg, ET & Pens)

4th vs winner of above ("")

3rd vs winner of above, as Wembley play-off final.

Therefore the advantage should always be with the highest placed team after 46 games.

Yep had exactly the same thoughts. 5th Should be at home, then 4th Should be at home.

Need to make sure those who finish higher have a better advantage.

On 14/02/2018 at 14:18, Saul Pimpson said:

On the flip side, the law of averages suggests that all sides should have a 25% chance of success, as our historic success rate is 17% then you could say that it's due to be our turn to win the golden ticket.

Am afraid to say that the law of averages will have no bearing on our previous failures in the playoffs and so statistically we will have an equal chance of going up in the playoffs this year relative to previous years.  

Archived