Would it be better to go up in playoffs.

Curtains

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you go up yes, winning at Wembley, players on the pitch with the trophy is far far far better than a runners up banner on the pitch at the Pirelli Stadium.

But I still want that 2nd place finish. 

Even to this day seeing replays of that Zamora goal go in is a real kick in the footballs, not something I'd like to go through again. 

Also going up automatically gives you more time to prepare for the Premier League and get working on signings. 

Its only good because the greedy EFL and its members have made it this way.

Bit of a joke that pretty much any average team can dream of finishing 6th with a run in the final couple of months having been dog turd for the majority of the campaign.

Promotion should be the pinnacle.

if you must have a play off make it a 2 legged affair between 3rd and 4th.. or better still 3rd bottom of EPL against 3rd in the championship

3 minutes ago, David said:

If you go up yes, winning at Wembley, players on the pitch with the trophy is far far far better than a runners up banner on the pitch at the Pirelli Stadium.

Even to this day seeing replays of that Zamora goal go in is a real kick in the footballs, not something I'd like to go through again. 

Also going up automatically gives you more time to prepare for the Premier League and get working on signings. 

Totally agree.  

But I fear we need to win a lot of games to get 2nd as Villa are flying. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Totally agree.  

But I fear we need to win a lot of games to get 2nd as Villa are flying. 

You don't finish 2nd without winning a lot of games, they have only won one more game than us. Long way to go yet.

32 minutes ago, David said:

This is more critical this time, with it being a world cup year and also the PL transfer window closing earlier than usual.

I think this will be the hardest for any promoted team to do business nevermind those that go up via the play offs.

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

They do have some tough games but so do we. 

Penultimate game could be crucial. 

I think they'll push all the way. 

I think Derby may have suffered a bit in the transfer window. We're light on wingers and for all the slating of Russell he's better than the others. Especially at taking the ball half a pitch length from our 18 yard box. So if Derby have to dig deep for creativity like on Saturday then we might struggle. 

But had we brought in a winger that's better than Russell I think we'd push Villa all the way. 

We still might. They beat Sheff United but were just as ragged as we have been at times. Even Wolves v Forest looked like a inferior side. 

It's the nature of the 46 game league season. So many games it's about finding a sustainable level.

All the teams will hit a high level and meet a team on a downer. It's the teams that sustain the highest level that go up. Forest couldn't sustain that level shown v Wolves and Wolves took it on the chin and moved on.

Hopefully Villa are on a high and can't sustain it. Plenty of games left for them to burn out. 

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think they'll push all the way. 

I think Derby may have suffered a bit in the transfer window. We're light on wingers and for all the slating of Russell he's better than the others. Especially at taking the ball half a pitch length from our 18 yard box. So if Derby have to dig deep for creativity like on Saturday then we might struggle. 

But had we brought in a winger that's better than Russell I think we'd push Villa all the way. 

We still might. They beat Sheff United but were just as ragged as we have been at times. Even Wolves v Forest looked like a inferior side. 

It's the nature of the 46 game league season. So many games it's about finding a sustainable level.

All the teams will hit a high level and meet a team on a downer. It's the teams that sustain the highest level that go up. Forest couldn't sustain that level shown v Wolves and Wolves took it on the chin and moved on.

Hopefully Villa are on a high and can't sustain it. Plenty of games left for them to burn out. 

Heart tells me this reality gives me a different view. 

You are right about the winger situation.

Anya isn’t the answer IMO he’s a bit too light. 

Lets hope we can get 2 nd though.  

Why would you want to have 4 weeks less than the other 2 teams to recruit and prepare for a Premier league season?

In terms of free transfers and season long loans alone you are behind others. 

I'd take boring old second and prepare properly. 

Archived