Expectation v Reality

Expectation v Reality  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I agree that we the fans en-masse haven't bought into this season yet. Attendances are down and generally we appear to be waiting for failure. I don't think its performances as such, just seems to be the way it is. Maybe we have tried and failed once too often in the last 3/4 seasons......the team that cried wolf!

Would agree with this, we’ve ******* it up so many seasons now that we’ve got a bit of a reputation, I sometimes just feel like I’m waiting for the inevitable that may have already started. Can see why fans wouldn’t bother, but there’s nothing we can do about the past now. Just have to hope this year is different and we’re the ones who get to see it, think you’ll find if by some god given miracle we go on a massive winning run now the crowds will start to feel the tide has changed and will return.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Macs football was as boring as hell for 3/4s of his time here. thats my issue.

possesion for possesion sake.

to use some mac terms.

we had to show Patience.

its a full backs game.

People think, because we retained the ball well, it meant exciting football, in the same way people say arsenal are exciting.

But sideways passing, with no pace, and no ability to break down a well organised defence was not just boring, it was depressing.

The reality is people get excited about quite counter attacks, switchin of the play, utilizing the space, tackles flying in, balls put across the box, dodgy refs.... all the things that GRs style is .. and Macs style was not!

Have to agree with the other poster tbh, GRs style of play is not exciting for me, and I definitely don’t see the style you have pointed out above, just my view of course.

Crowds went up when after being in the championship so long we suddenly challenged for promotion ,,, crowds have dropped when after challenging for promotion for a while we keep failing ,,

here a question ( honest answers please) wipe out the Mac 1 and clement promotion challenges and it’s rowett s team directly following clough and sitting in second till last week do we think the crowds would be much bigger than they are for this push ?

yes I think there will be a smallish drop off from mac1 team citing playing style from die hard derby fans ,there will also be a floating football fan drop off too but to say crowds are down plainly on rowett v Mac playing style is in my view a massive over simplification and wide of the mark as lots enjoy rowett s football when the team get it right too

the over simplification is used as a stick to beat rowett with agenda for some

45 minutes ago, archied said:

Crowds went up when after being in the championship so long we suddenly challenged for promotion ,,, crowds have dropped when after challenging for promotion for a while we keep failing ,,

here a question ( honest answers please) wipe out the Mac 1 and clement promotion challenges and it’s rowett s team directly following clough and sitting in second till last week do we think the crowds would be much bigger than they are for this push ?

yes I think there will be a smallish drop off from mac1 team citing playing style from die hard derby fans ,there will also be a floating football fan drop off too but to say crowds are down plainly on rowett v Mac playing style is in my view a massive over simplification and wide of the mark as lots enjoy rowett s football when the team get it right too

the over simplification is used as a stick to beat rowett with agenda for some

It's the simple reality archied.....there is no way,with our being second and third and at this stage of the season,that our crowds should be dropping.

It's the lack of entertainment pure and simple.

Hardly a crack at rowett,he was brought in to bring promotion and he is doing his best to achieve it.

Just because it's not that fun to watch is of no concern to him and not should it be.

But it is to a certain number of fans who vote with their feet/wallets.

31 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Haven't been online but we have exceeded expectations. We aren't as good as people think we are. We have tried heavily on Carson, Vydra and Keogh. You just had to see how poor we were against Reading without Keogh

Don't remind me,i was at that match....the only pluses were Russell's and Martin's goals at the last breath.

Results are exceeding expectations. I thought we'd finish between 8th and 14th. We still might, but up until this point we've definitely exceeded expectations in my view.

Results like tonight, Ipswich and Reading for instance have been a bit of a disapointment, but on the whole for every one of those you get a 0-3 against Boro, or the 2-1 win at Norwich, or the 2-1 win at Leeds, or the 0-3 at Barnsley.

IMO results have been far better than what performances have shown. On one hand, it surely can't be a bad thing to play average and win 3-0, on the other hand, it's a bit disappointing to say I can't recall a single game where we've actually looked a league above the opposition.

Under the Mac reign you could say that a lot. Under Rowett, not once in my view.

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Top 10, transition season was my minimum expectation pre-season. Max expectation was 6th.

so yes, with constraints he’s had to work within, we have exceeded expectations 

Thing is, football is also about taking your opportunities. When Leicester won the PL they didn't look over their shoulder with a dozen games to go and say 'hang on we're over massively achieving, best put the brakes on.....' 

Despite this result tonight, this season has exceeded my expectations. I expected mid table. To be in the position we are, which looks like playoffs at worst is frankly amazing. 

Ive had a really awful few months on a personal and private level but my team have done me proud against all my expectations. 

Forget tonight and move on. UTR!

4 hours ago, jagerbob said:

to use some mac terms.

we had to show Patience.

its a full backs game.

People think, because we retained the ball well, it meant exciting football, in the same way people say arsenal are exciting.

But sideways passing, with no pace, and no ability to break down a well organised defence was not just boring, it was depressing.

The reality is people get excited about quite counter attacks, switchin of the play, utilizing the space, tackles flying in, balls put across the box, dodgy refs.... all the things that GRs style is .. and Macs style was not!

Do you want some goal scoring statistics to go with this same ***** you post in a new thread every few weeks before sinking back to the shadows when someone points out we scored over 80 goals each season including numerous games where we scored 3 or more to go with the highest points tally ever by Derby.

Excited by switching the play? Crossing? 

An England game then?

Dodgy refs? Thrilling

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Do you want some goal scoring statistics to go with this same ***** you post in a new thread every few weeks before sinking back to the shadows when someone points out we scored over 80 goals each season including numerous games where we scored 3 or more to go with the highest points tally ever by Derby.

Excited by switching the play? Crossing? 

An England game then?

Dodgy refs? Thrilling

You winding up for a full on 4 screen-scroll rant @Alpha ? :lol:

39 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Feel like being a derby fan is very much like being an England fan. There’s always expectation, and every year you think we might do something, but deep down you know when it comes to the real pressure, well **** it up as we always do.

I think we'll finish in the play offs which is something i thought would not happen at the start of the season. 

We'll either go up or be pressing for promotion again next season. 

7 hours ago, jagerbob said:

to use some mac terms.

we had to show Patience.

its a full backs game.

Watch Fulham or City and tell me ‘full-back games’ are boring.

Utter nonsense.

Archived