Expectation v Reality

Expectation v Reality  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't find a better way to split the performances v results discussion so I left it deliberately vague so people can make their own call. My expectation was we would play solid, unspectacular football and finish relatively comfortably in the playoffs, as it stands we are exceeding that but come the end of the season that might be exactly what we get.

At the beginning I had us for a mid table side, no more. Then the pairing of Keogh and Davies clicked which together with Baird locked in the defence. Ledley and Hudd shored up midfield. Attack is still inconsistent both in terms of players and style but we got the goals and goal difference will be important I feel.

Fozzy and GT coming back in hasn't helped which together with poor form by Lawrence has led to our usual new year slump. I know we aren't losing but we are dropping points we should not.

Saturday was another game where right from kick off you could tell we weren't on it. This is a Derby trait I have commented on before. We never pick it up if we start slow. Never mind 95 th minute supporters you could make your mind up after 10 and head home.

I think if our "wingers" and attacking midfielders are not sorted out soon we will drift down the table, probably 5 or 6 place.

14 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I couldn't find a better way to split the performances v results discussion so I left it deliberately vague so people can make their own call. My expectation was we would play solid, unspectacular football and finish relatively comfortably in the playoffs, as it stands we are exceeding that but come the end of the season that might be exactly what we get.

About where i am with the season.

I personally would've accepted upper mid table at the start of the season and give it a transition let off. We're well ahead of that and slipping back at this point would be worrying unless we get struck by injuries etc.

At the beginning I thought our squad and experience was top 4 so I put my money on it ( looking for a return) 

as we now sit I still feel that way but I do feel we are weaker following the January transfer window as I don’t see a real spark on the pitch and we will have to out team others sides and we will against some but not all 

Carson and Vyds have meant our results are better than our performances.  In the Championship goalscorers are at a premium so it is only right we are at the top end of the table but I'd love us to destroy the opposing side I've just never thought we were capable (some moaned about the Hull game but I didn't see it)

Although I put meeting expectations, I have to caveat that with this was I believed the squad we had at our disposal was capable off.  I must admit I didn’t (and still don’t) beleive GR was the man that would take us to the PL and therefore he is doing better than I expected, and I hope he continues to prove I am wrong.

Our performances tend to be staccato at best. You can feel that the home crowd can really get behind the team but there is a weird atmosphere. The fans seem not to be able to believe that we are genuine challengers for the auto spot, largely based on performance rather than result. 

We don’t dominate and have attack after attack. Our “keep the defensive shape and quick on the counter” strategy is not conducive to producing a good atmosphere in the stands. In a nutshell, there is nothing to cheer!

On Saturday, bar the goal, the only time the crowd got going was immediately after the penalty save and only for a few mins since we went straight back into our shell on the out pitch. 

In answer to OP question, I feel we’re ahead of where most supporters thought we’d be but the nagging feeling is that our overall play shows we’re punching above our weight. It’s a tiring watch.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

At the beginning I had us for a mid table side, no more. Then the pairing of Keogh and Davies clicked which together with Baird locked in the defence. Ledley and Hudd shored up midfield. Attack is still inconsistent both in terms of players and style but we got the goals and goal difference will be important I feel.

Fozzy and GT coming back in hasn't helped which together with poor form by Lawrence has led to our usual new year slump. I know we aren't losing but we are dropping points we should not.

Saturday was another game where right from kick off you could tell we weren't on it. This is a Derby trait I have commented on before. We never pick it up if we start slow. Never mind 95 th minute supporters you could make your mind up after 10 and head home.

I think if our "wingers" and attacking midfielders are not sorted out soon we will drift down the table, probably 5 or 6 place.

Agree with all you have said especially the attacking midfielders that's were most of our problems are they area giving us very little at the moment Problem is lack of options to change it because whoever we try are no better Think we have to try Weimann for Lawrence and maybe Palmer for Anya although Anya has done OK  or even put BJ on the left 

I was expecting something akin to Pearson Mk2, or probably even worse, given the loss of our two most creative players. Early performances and results did nothing to contradict that, so what we have now is a revelation. Our defensive solidity is not something I expected to see in a Derby side any time soon, and that is a great place to build from. 

We are still a work in progress, so challenging for automatics at this point is a serious overachievement. That said, my expectometer has now swung wildly in the other direction, so I will be inconsolable if we don’t go up. 

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

So above your expectations then?

Archived