Expectation v Reality

Expectation v Reality  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

IMO results have been far better than what performances have shown. On one hand, it surely can't be a bad thing to play average and win 3-0, on the other hand, it's a bit disappointing to say I can't recall a single game where we've actually looked a league above the opposition.

Under the Mac reign you could say that a lot. Under Rowett, not once in my view.

Agree with this 100%. It's never unpleasant to win, but the confidence I have in the team and Rowett has come from results and not performances. The only thing that separates us from the teams we defeat is that our shots seem to go in and theirs don't, which sounds like a ridiculously obvious thing to point out, but has had me a little confused as to why we've been doing so well.

I've watched every game this season online (overseas supporter) but the only game I attended was our 3-0 'drubbing' of Millwall where they controlled the majority of the game, created some excellent chances, and hit the post a few times. Barring a crazy 5 minute spell where everything we tried seemed to go in, the scoreline flattered us massively. Either we've been riding our luck, and our results were unsustainable, or I know absolutely nothing about football.

Probably a bit of both. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely exceeding expectations, we have a mismatch squad of players. I can't remember a game where we looked totally dominant over our opponents. If we didn't have vydra, and to an extent Curtis Davies, we would be mid table.  We have no legs in midfield and our wingers have ZERO end product. Palmer looked decent in his little cameo tonight, could be our little creative spark that we desperately need.  

7 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Macs football was as boring as hell for 3/4s of his time here. thats my issue.

possesion for possesion sake.

to use some mac terms.

we had to show Patience.

its a full backs game.

People think, because we retained the ball well, it meant exciting football, in the same way people say arsenal are exciting.

But sideways passing, with no pace, and no ability to break down a well organised defence was not just boring, it was depressing.

The reality is people get excited about quite counter attacks, switchin of the play, utilizing the space, tackles flying in, balls put across the box, dodgy refs.... all the things that GRs style is .. and Macs style was not!

The idea that Rowett’s style is more attractive than McClaren’s is the weirdest thing I’ve heard in ages. 

When McClaren had the team that suited him the football was entertaining 90% of the time. ******* hell were we good. When had the team that didn’t in his second spell, it had its problems but it got a fair bit out of a squad that just didn’t suit each other at all. Barely anyone would have got much out of that lot. It was very sideways because we were so unbalanced down the middle.

We’ve probably overachieved a bit but Rowett is doing this in a season that should be a rebuilding year. 

It’s proper annoying that we’ve got a top 2 finish in sight for the first time since 2015, it’s still well within reach but it might just be that we’re not well stocked enough and not quite what Rowett truly wants yet. Maybe we’re just as top 6 team that had a bit of a purple patch at the right time. There’s nothing wrong with that, we’ll stand a proper chance in the play-off’s.

He’s just as good as McClaren was in his first year. Got a side that lacks that last bit of quality but he’ll have us challenging for the title next year and that’s pretty much the worst case scenario right now. I think we still stand a really good chance of going up.

But the difference is I’ll still be watching YouTube clips of the McClaren seasons on YouTube in 20 years, I genuinely can’t think of a game other than forest at home I’d watch from this season. Maybe a best of Matej Vydra but not much else.

When Rowett came in we was not expecting to be in this position. 'he needs a couple of transfer windows' 'clear out the dead wood' 'Change the style of play' these phrases were all common phrases at the start of the season.

If we were pushing for a play off spot im sure people would be happier as that's what was expected. It's almost as if Gary has done too well and this has stitched himself up. Now the expectations of Derby almost deserving promotion have come back for some people and now every game we don't win people are on their backs.

People calling for Rowett out because we have a slight hiccup is ridiculous. If we don't finish 2nd then so what. Surely no one other than B4 was expecting that before the season started? Play offs are fine, and other than Villa, I don't fear any of the surrounding teams.

The common denominator from the past few seasons is the negative fans. The majority of the players from Wembley have gone. Keogh remains but this has been his best season since so no one can blame him. The atmosphere especially at PP is so tense if we don't score in the first 10. I'd hate to be a derby player playing at home.

Support the team. We are doing well.

Archived