Too many draws?

SuperDerbySuperRams

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it just GR that has to be brave? What about the players? He doesn’t play the game for them. He didn’t tell them to sit back and surrender the initiative. He didn’t tell them to play the safe pass backwards.

We’re in an unbelievable position with 15 games to go. Players need to be braver as well as the manager. The manager is up for it (listen to his after match interview), will the players respond? Time will tell

16 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Are we not taking enough risks when level? Great to keep an unbeaten run going but...

The unbeaten run is irrelevant, if Villa win today and go above us as I think they will carry on in 2nd spot.

For auto's draws are no good. - Yyesterday's performance possibly the worst of the season and we do have to play so much better against the wendies.  

13 hours ago, swiftur said:

19 points dropped at home .poor home form again but brilliant away form. draws will kill our automatic hopes,sadly.

I agree it is our home form that needs improving. Getting second place is going to depend on whether we can keep our away form going and improve our home form. Here's hoping Brum can 'do us a favour today!'

Screenshot 2018-02-11 at 10.37.35.png

Screenshot 2018-02-11 at 10.42.38.png

17 hours ago, McLovin said:

Yes you're right. I stated after we drew to Hull that Rowett is too cautious and is afraid to experiment, which I thought would cost us.

A lot of obsession with this 'unbeaten run' that it has ended up costing us offensively for me as the players don't want to lose. A unbeaten run is good but only if you are winning games. Maybe we need to lose to get our season back on track.

what like Bristol have you mean.Keep unbeaten run going as long as possible

There are some  specific reasons why were drawing more games at home now.

1.Most teams do not try to attack us, they defend deep and keep numbers back 

2.They are more aware of our style of play.

3.Our league position means they have already settled for a point before kick off

Away from  home the onus is on the home side in front of their fans to attack. This  suits our quick counter attacking style.

We must look at results positively we very rarely concide (accept from penalties). So we have a percentage chance of gain a point) and we have some good attackers I.e. Vydra, Nugent, Jerome, Lawrence who can get us a goal and 3 points at any time.

In previous season we have imploded this has and will not happen this year.

16 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Yes....but now that we are seeing the number of lacklustre displays mount up - particularly at home - I would expect the training and coaching to be seen to be addressing issues. 

Think that is a bit harsh on lacklustre displays.

After losing at home to Ipswich, we then won our 3 home games in December.

The draw vs Sheff Utd was partly down to us been tired after a busy schedule and lots of effort getting some great results.

We played well vs Bristol and were unlucky not to win that, we weren't as clinical as usual.

Slowish start vs Brentford, before the game was over in 10 mins.

Not great yesterday but Norwich are decent and still took a pen for them to score.

Our only slightly poor performance away in last 2 months was at Hull. We dominated vs Millwall and they packed the defence and we just couldn't break them down. We've won the rest.

I don't think we are seeing lacklustre displays mounting up. We are all a little tense as we are in with a great chance of automatic promotion with not many games left. First time since Billy Davies.

It's still in our hands too.

We don't know how to lose games. And we usually win them.

What encourages me this season is everytime the team plays poorly we react and turn the next result into a win. Some people on about a slump. Seriously? If we lose 3-4 in a row definitely but some fan's reactions have been embarrassing. Wouldn't be surprised if we go to Hillsborough and smash Sheff Weds. We've done it numerous times.

We should have easily beaten Bristol city on the night but we didn’t and our main problems have been with teams that out number us in central midfield with players that pass the ball well ( sheff united Norwich wolves probably Fulham ) against them sort of teams our wide players need to play outstandingly well to divert them and we starting to need Vydra to score because others don’t look likely currently in my opinion and yes I wish we had persuaded Russell to stay until the end of the season and we now need Martin to have been around

49 minutes ago, Seaside Sam said:

just watching villa v brum believe me  they are not the super team every one seems to think they are ,top 6 same as a lot of teams in this division

No they are not.

However, they are on a winning streak; if they get a result at Fulham next week, it’s going to be hard to stop them nailing 2nd in this form; currently they are the standout form team and their squad looks too strong for most teams in this league.

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

No they are not.

However, they are on a winning streak; if they get a result at Fulham next week, it’s going to be hard to stop them nailing 2nd in this form; currently they are the standout form team and their squad looks too strong for most teams in this league.

long way to go yet ,twist and turns to come

Villa will have a bad spell, they will feel pressure as they are not a standout team by any stretch. But they are finding a professional way to close out games and win by not playing well when it matters.

Key is how we play not how they play - and we need to get that put right ASAP as we are not currently in automatic promotion form. I am convinced we can still get it back as we are a point behind. What we need to be careful of is having an average run while another team or 2 have stormers because we could quickly be 5 or 6 points back and out of it.

19 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

We just don’t have enough going forward to create oppourtunities to win tight games imo. Particularly in the wide areas there just isn’t enough threat to get the wins to secure a top 2 place. You have to be relentlessly winning to get autos and our recent form simply hasn’t been that. You look at teams like villa with players like adomah with 12 goals from out wide and you can see why they’ll get autos and we won’t. Just the way it is with us being restricted by FFP and losing Ince we just haven’t been able a team that has quite the attacking bite and creativity to match our excellent defence, which is a shame because we really aren’t more than a couple of players off. Still the playoffs and the hope villa bottle it like we have before mind so it’s far from done!

Excellent post what does worry me slightly is if we don't go up this season we will have the same ageing players next season?? but expect them to go one better ???

or replace them leaving us with older players but not regulars leaving us with a bloated squad again which GR says he doesn't want....it really does need to happen this season imo ...I really think a Jota or a decent pacey winger would've made a massive difference to us but we have what we have and all we can do as fans is get right behind the team :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

There are some  specific reasons why were drawing more games at home now.

1.Most teams do not try to attack us, they defend deep and keep numbers back 

2.They are more aware of our style of play.

3.Our league position means they have already settled for a point before kick off

Away from  home the onus is on the home side in front of their fans to attack. This  suits our quick counter attacking style.

We must look at results positively we very rarely concide (accept from penalties). So we have a percentage chance of gain a point) and we have some good attackers I.e. Vydra, Nugent, Jerome, Lawrence who can get us a goal and 3 points at any time.

In previous season we have imploded this has and will not happen this year.

Good to see a sensible, positive comment.

Archived