Too many draws?

SuperDerbySuperRams

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're definitely currently going through a blip in performances, which all teams have. I think in that context the fact we're managing not to lose is a positive but like all ruts we need to come out of it.

I'm a little perplexed by Thorne keeping his place over Ledley recently. Thorne's fitness nor performances appear to be improving and Ledleys arguably one of our best players. Thorne is a distance away from the GT who had that tag, he's a weak link currently.

I expect to see Baird and maybe Forsyth again next game - our defense looked incredibly panicky today and we left a lot of space in behind on the wings.

I'd argue that that was one of our top 5 worst performances of the season though, so to get a point is something. The players need to treat it as a loss in terms of reacting to it, we need to get our consistency back if we are to compete.

2 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

? Maddison plays where Vydra does so I don’t really know what you’re on about.

We could do with more quality out wide, though. 

He might play in the same position, but they are completely different players. 

How many players do we have that are as comfortable on the ball as him? 

Agree, the quality out wide was terrible today. 

We seemed to freeze in the second half and invited pressure, GR should have changed it earlier as you could see the goal coming.  Thorne wasn’t great however in his defence he needs something to aim at, his options are often limited.  

Once Vydra came off, we also lose our goal threat, not sure but have the players who finished the game got over 10 goals this season between them in a derby shirt? 

Yes you're right. I stated after we drew to Hull that Rowett is too cautious and is afraid to experiment, which I thought would cost us.

A lot of obsession with this 'unbeaten run' that it has ended up costing us offensively for me as the players don't want to lose. A unbeaten run is good but only if you are winning games. Maybe we need to lose to get our season back on track.

Today was one of those days where you take a point and move on. They happen, we weren’t very good. Generally I think we’re doing okay, on a bit of a blip but let’s not forget that we had a stonewaller turned down against Bristol City and a marginal offside against Millwall. We should be fine I think.

Villa are also on their run, everyone at the top has one over the course of a season and theirs is happening now. They won’t keep winning.

3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Today was one of those days where you take a point and move on. They happen, we weren’t very good. Generally I think we’re doing okay, on a bit of a blip but let’s not forget that we had a stonewaller turned down against Bristol City and a marginal offside against Millwall. We should be fine I think.

Villa are also on their run, everyone at the top has one over the course of a season and theirs is happening now. They won’t keep winning.

Whilst you're right on these points @nottingram, the very fact we're bemoaning 1 moment in each of these games suggests that we aren't doing enough to win matches. 

More bravery Gary!

When you are the second best team overall, particularly at home, shouldn’t the managers preparational and motivational qualities be in question? 

Oh no, it mustn’t, we’re still second in the table and unbeaten in however many games it is now. We’ll just have to put up with our sluggishness and be thankful for a point and the run is unbroken as St Gary knows best.

We just don’t have enough going forward to create oppourtunities to win tight games imo. Particularly in the wide areas there just isn’t enough threat to get the wins to secure a top 2 place. You have to be relentlessly winning to get autos and our recent form simply hasn’t been that. You look at teams like villa with players like adomah with 12 goals from out wide and you can see why they’ll get autos and we won’t. Just the way it is with us being restricted by FFP and losing Ince we just haven’t been able a team that has quite the attacking bite and creativity to match our excellent defence, which is a shame because we really aren’t more than a couple of players off. Still the playoffs and the hope villa bottle it like we have before mind so it’s far from done!

Archived