Johnny Russell - Will he sign a new contract?

Cam the Ram

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russell wasn't that bad tonight, he still created quite a lot. His end ball should have been better ,but a lot of Derby players, such as Vydra with the 1v1 etc should have been better with their final ball that game. I wasn't disappointed with Russell's performance tonight, he put out a good shift.

44 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'll take pelters for this, but, Russell actually did OK in lots of things today. Tried to hard, made wrong decisions, hit the bar, but all the greif he's bound to get he did he contributed his work to the team and was far from the only one who didn't get it right on the night.

No pelters needed, that’s a fairly accurate assessment of tonight, he caused havoc, then either don’t look up, makes a scuffed shot or does something plain daft; he still looked most likely to create something in open play and was real unlucky with the free kick.

If only his end product matched his work rate.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I'll give Lawrence the benefit of the doubt for the moment because Rowett said that Lawrence is playing injured and is a strange injury that only flares up in match situations.

Must have been injured at Blackburn and Ipswich too. He refused to let the ball go until it was too late there too.

I can see why people think he may come good. He's got the technique. But I can't see why people rate him because he's selfish and blind like so many other overrated and long forgotten talents. He's been dribbling into dead ends for a couple of years.

Just now, Zag zig said:

No pelters needed, that’s a fairly accurate assessment of tonight, he caused havoc, then either don’t look up, makes a scuffed shot or does something plain daft; he still looked most likely to create something in open play and was real unlucky with the free kick.

If only his end product matched his work rate.

I really wish certain fans would get behind a player who not only puts a shift in during games but also is clearly putting a massive shift in on the training ground. He got into several good positions tonight and even though he was snatching at his chances, he really took it to Bristol.

We should be finding it encouraging that a player who at the start of the season was struggling to pose any kind of attacking threat is now terrorising defences and frequently getting into goal scoring opportunities. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Must have been injured at Blackburn and Ipswich too. He refused to let the ball go until it was too late there too.

I can see why people think he may come good. He's got the technique. But I can't see why people rate him because he's selfish and blind like so many other overrated and long forgotten talents. He's been dribbling into dead ends for a couple of years.

I think he’s trying too hard to impress. His big price tag may be making him feel he needs to set the world alight every time he gets the ball.  I do feel there is a player in there somewhere though. 

To be honest it wouldn’t bother me too much if all of our wide players went. Like all of their kind they have good games/spells but I don’t really rate any of them that highly. Russell did work really hard today and it’s a shame his free kick didn’t go in.  Lawrence was poor imo and Weimann did look fairly threatening when he came on.

As it is I will support  them during the game because they’re playing for DCFC but if/when they become better or we improve upon them we will be a really good team.

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I can understand your view. I think many fans like him because we haven't had a player in years who can genuinely take defenders on. Even Ince, to an extent, wasn't that kind of player. He's obviously a talent because as he's a starter for Wales but he's trying too hard to impress. I don't think the formation helps him to be honest. To get the best out of him, he needs to be a number 10 like he plays at Wales but it's difficult when we have vydra playing as he is. He's a free spirit, he's best when he has no defensive responsibilities like away v Man Utd.

8 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I think he’s trying too hard to impress. His big price tag may be making him feel he needs to set the world alight every time he gets the ball.  I do feel there is a player in there somewhere though. 

Possibly Doodle. 

He was just the same at Blackburn and Ipswich. 

Like a racing car that keeps crashing on the last lap while overtaking for first place. Every. Race. It's exciting up until the point it becomes really really tedious.

I think he can give the false impression of a player who's dangerous when he actually does nothing. 

Agree the ability is there. Just might never come out. 

17 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I can understand your view. I think many fans like him because we haven't had a player in years who can genuinely take defenders on. Even Ince, to an extent, wasn't that kind of player. He's obviously a talent because as he's a starter for Wales but he's trying too hard to impress. I don't think the formation helps him to be honest. To get the best out of him, he needs to be a number 10 like he plays at Wales but it's difficult when we have vydra playing as he is. He's a free spirit, he's best when he has no defensive responsibilities like away v Man Utd.

There's so many cases where he just needs to step back and let the team benefit. A simple release here, an early cross there, a pass to the guy who can pass to the guy. But he sees his name on the front page. Or he wants to suck one more defender in. Or he wants an even better chance than the open goal. How can I complicate this?

At least Russell, yes he has many faults that we all point out, sees the right route. He just can't execute it as often as Lawrence would... if he had eyes!!

Next time you watch derby i urge you to just have a look at russell when we are starting an attack, especially when the ball is on the other side of the pitch. The one thing huddlestone is very good at is those passes over the top, so every time he has the ball, no matter where you are in the attacking line, that pass is on. If you watch russell for a spell, you see that, without the ball, he hides behind defenders, doesn't have the awarenress to make the run in behind even though it's on with a huddlestone pass (right in front of me tonight, the pass in behind was on at least 3 or 4 times, their left back was nowhere to be seen) and genuinely seems like he doesn't want the ball, which is really frustrating as, when he's on form, he is such a threat running directly at defenders. He effectively marks himself out of the game. We do need an additional winger, now if thats to replace russell or lawrence I'm not so sure, but I believe we'd finish comfortably in 2nd if we had a quality crosser and a direct runner out wide. He did some things well today, cracked the bar and skipped past their left back numerous times, but just has no end product, but I guess if he did he'd be a premier league player.

13 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Still not good enough and, for me, he never has been. I’m really not sure why he gets so much praise for ‘running at defenders’ when it almost invariably results in him losing the ball. I’m sick of watching it happen tbh. 

Couldn't agree more if you want a move to break down give it to JR 

Problem is he’s really good - fast aggressive - and he’s really bad - ball control decision making - so we are never gonna agree on him.

Prob needs a change of scenery to ignite whatever mojo is missing but when he’s picked you can’t deny you look at the lineup and think, “okay cool, I’m pleased he’s in there,  maybe Johnny will do something today” 

Archived